Need verification for orange county from listeners in orange or around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ok today while i was doing a ride along, i was listening in on the Chapel hill PD 1 and heard numerous traffic, now i looked on the DB, Orange county has talkgroups for each agency.

Is chapel hill still using their old UHF for anything or is Carrboro PD still running off their old UHF Frequency?

I already know the sheriff's office isnt switching anytime sooner.

Drafin

Ok today while i was doing a ride along, i was listening in on the Chapel hill PD 1 and heard numerous traffic, now i looked on the DB, Orange county has talkgroups for each agency.

Is chapel hill still using their old UHF for anything or is Carrboro PD still running off their old UHF Frequency?

I already know the sheriff's office isnt switching anytime sooner.

If you were doing a ride along with Chapel Hill PD could you not have just asked them? or looked at their radios?

"Search" is your friend.
http://forums.radioreference.com/no...10403-chapel-hill-carboro-police-changes.html

Draf

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
If you were doing a ride along with Chapel Hill PD could you not have just asked them? or looked at their radios?

"Search" is your friend.
http://forums.radioreference.com/no...10403-chapel-hill-carboro-police-changes.html

Draf

No im an explorer with Hillsborough.

I guess something didnt flag me for that.. I dont do ride alongs outside the agency.

The car I was in had the old radio in it still and i was looking at the CHPD channel on the screen, traffic was coming over, I was told Carrboro occupied it but looking at the DB, its all Fire Dispatch

Also asking them? too far away and dont have a way to call my buddy who works there now but i could always make a stop at orange central but that would be weird to stop by and ask a simple question i can find out from another "interested scanner", second, the radio? I can always look at them its going to be XTS2500's same as hillsboroughs. Sheriff's are still in the stone age with the HT1000's, CP200, HT750/1250's etc. All county Fire and EMS are all XTS5000's and some are packing the 2500's if im not mistaking.

btw thanks for the link to that thread, didnt see that one.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I watched several transmissions on the Chapel Hill PD VIPER Talkgroup (30272) on Trunk88 earlier this afternoon. These transmissions were affiliating off of the Cole Mill Rd Durham VIPER site.
Orange County is on VIPER.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
ColeMillChapelHillPD.JPG

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For the record Carrboro PD is also on VIPER.
In other words: Orange County is on VIPER.
Marshall KE4ZNR

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ok i know the county is all viper and talkgroups are ready for the sheriff, just the sheriff himself hasnt made the migration yet which i dont see why, I can only guess that everyone else speaks of, money or just the reliability of the digital system but how reliable can UHF be? I still get some dead spots around orange. The storm we had yesterday distorted some TX's or RX's and the radio in the car went nuts.

Well im still trying to figure out who was transmitting on CHPD 1 on the UHF Band. I was just told all the old UHF stuff are just Talk-Arounds/Law Talk and simply the backup if the 800mhz system goes down which i doubt that would happen in a full blue moon

Thanks for that screenshot marshall, that helps alot.

redclay

UHF use in chapel hill

C138 - sorry to have come into this discussion late, but i infrequently check the forum...I monitor scanners in the western triangle for a news organization and from what i have heard in recent months, either carrboro or chapel hill public works has been using one or more of the former CHPD police channels...after hearing enough about garbage and leaf pickups, i finally locked that one or more channels out...hope this helps some...rgds, redclay 10/14

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
C138 - sorry to have come into this discussion late, but i infrequently check the forum...I monitor scanners in the western triangle for a news organization and from what i have heard in recent months, either carrboro or chapel hill public works has been using one or more of the former CHPD police channels...after hearing enough about garbage and leaf pickups, i finally locked that one or more channels out...hope this helps some...rgds, redclay 10/14

Thanks for the input, thats what i thought at first, my post advisor told me carrboro was still back in the stone ages "using UHF still" last time i saw a CPD officer was at the counties battle court, looked like a VIPER radio on his side.

This was however late at night when i kept hearing these TX's on CHPD 1, didnt sound like public works, I would of thought CHPD would use their VIPER radio for normal traffic and their in car UHF radios to call in tags and license, mainly out of all the channels i see for orange county :D only two channels are used pretty much excluding the ops channels

Status
Not open for further replies.