Skip on 159.285Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
From my location in West Raleigh picking up skip activity on 159.285Mhz. Foot chase of some type. Thought I heard Flat Shoals mentioned but Stokes County is not licensed for this freq (as far as I know).
Anyone have any info on who besides Wildlife uses this freq?
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Marshall,

Did you note a PL/DPL tone at the time?

Cory,
I am doing that next. I first picked this up on my BC895xlt which had been set to the NC Wildlife PL/CTCSS of 203.5Hz BUT the 895 is known for having a "loose" PL filter meaning that it will open up on other PLs. I now have my 996XT sitting on the freq with tone search so we will see what happens.
Marshall KE4ZNR

randyK

There was a pretty good band opening this afternoon around 4:00 pm. From my location (just south of Greensboro) I was getting Horry Co,SC Fire & Ems dispatch on 154.400-167.9hz. The few times I can hear it at my location it's usually late at night or after a storm. I have heard some out of state PDs opening up some of NC wildlife's repeaters in the past, just a thought.
Randy

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Marshall ... you're hearing Clayton County, Georgia via the WRC repeater in Gardner.

The input for the Raleigh dispatch side of the WRC repeater is 151.325 / 203.5, which is the repeater output for Clayton Co PD's northside channel.

During a decent opening toward the Atlanta area, you may also be able to hear the Clayton County repeater direct ... when I'm listening regularly, I can catch CCPD on both channels simultaneously maybe once a week during the overnight hours.

Other than driving on a couple of miles of I-675 in Clayton County occasionally (to bypass Atlanta), I'm not really familiar with the area geographically. But my mapping program indicates there is a "Flat Shoals Road" in the county.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jeff! The more I monitored the traffic the more I realized that the agency was out of state due to the 10 codes/signals that were being used.
This is why I recommend keeping a radio around that can search 40-50Mhz hooked up to a decent antenna because when the bands are open you never know what you might hear.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Marshall ... you're hearing Clayton County, Georgia via the WRC repeater in Gardner.

The input for the Raleigh dispatch side of the WRC repeater is 151.325 / 203.5, which is the repeater output for Clayton Co PD's northside channel.

During a decent opening toward the Atlanta area, you may also be able to hear the Clayton County repeater direct ... when I'm listening regularly, I can catch CCPD on both channels simultaneously maybe once a week during the overnight hours.

Other than driving on a couple of miles of I-675 in Clayton County occasionally (to bypass Atlanta), I'm not really familiar with the area geographically. But my mapping program indicates there is a "Flat Shoals Road" in the county.

Doesnt Low Band VHF travel much further then the High Band VHF?

Yes it does, as long as you have a good transmitting antenna and good feedline. VHF Low is excellent for point to point comms, as well as Fixed base to mobile (NCSHP as an example).

My county used to dispatch fire & EMS on VHF low (45.440) and I could hear them at great distances (upwards of 250 miles during the summer evenings) on my old Midland ST I mobile.

When it comes to receiving it, a good antenna at a very decent height comes into play. The same goes for a decent receiver with a low noise figure and no adjacent sources of interference or noise.

Listen to a portable AM broadcast band radio outside of your house at night. You'd be surprised what you find. I often listen to WSM (650 AM) out of Nashville TN at night on my desktop AM transistor radio.

The general idea is that low frequencies can travel farther, and they travel even better with higher antennas and higher transmit power...

Status
Not open for further replies.