NC dot maintaince freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC4RR

It seems I no longer hear the dot workers and trucks on the low band freqs 47.46 ect.,in pitt beufort and craven. Have they switched to vhf hi?
Thanks
Railroad

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
It seems I no longer hear the dot workers and trucks on the low band freqs 47.46 ect.,in pitt beufort and craven. Have they switched to vhf hi?
Thanks
Railroad

I really thought they would be on the NC VIPER system now....

reconrider8

i think this is a mystery for all because i would love to listen to dot but no one can find what their frequencies are... i have had all the low band in both of my scanners and never heard anything

jep0910

Premium Subscriber
NC DOT Frequencies

Here in the Henderson/Polk County area they were very active in the last storm on the simplex frequencies, rather than the repeaters. Try 45.76 and 45.84. A good low band antenna is essential.

randyK

From the Greensboro area I'm hearing DOT repeaters on 47.02, 47.32, & 47.38. Getting unit to unit calls on 45.22, 45.76, & 45.84. Randy

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Department of Transportation

Last week, I was out riding around and stopped in Pilot Mountain for lunch and there was DOT crew in the same restaurant. While there, the guy who appeared to be the supervisor got a call on his cell phone and he then told the rest of the crew that they needed to go to such and such place. I figure a lot of state agencies have large cell phone contracts where phones are issued to personnel and this may be how a lot of DOT traffic is being handled now. I, too, have noticed a lack of traffic on the lowband frequencies all over the state. There is still some but nothing like years past. I can remember when the DOT in Ashe County would boom down here in the Piedmont but I have not heard them in a while.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
More

Just to add to my last post, when I take the radios on top of Pilot Mountain, I get more traffic on the VDOT channels in Southwest Virginia than I do on the NCDOT channels and that's being over 2000' in elevation.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
My info has never shown 47.46 as a DOT freq in those counties. I show 47.02, 47.06, and 47.26 (old simplex channel).
I would doubt an imminent switch to VIPERR, as DOT just installed their low band repeater system four or five years ago (but I could be wrong-it's just (taxpayers') money.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I recall hearing at one point in time that when SHP was full VIPER, that NCDOT would take over their low-band system. Don't quote me on that though.

As a former DOT worker, I know in the Division where I worked, Nextel was coming into play alot in early 2002 to summer of 2003. I carried one of those darn things for the entire time I worked there, and hated it.

I have seen some of the DOT flaggers using the VHF frequencies posted in the NCDOT listing which is here ----> Other State Agencies Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

To the OP, I see you are in Division 2.

All of the DOT vehicles in my area still have the lowband base loaded whips, and a few nextel style mag mount antennas.

I have heard some activity on the lowband channels in my area with the snow last night and today, but I would say it is safe to assume most of the communicating is being done by cell phones..most everyone here knows how the state is on spending and such.

Most of the traffic signal trucks have radios in them anymore. All of the techs I used to work with now use entirely cell phones. When I was there, my truck was the last one in the signal shop to have a lowband radio in it, and I didn't want it taken out, since I could talk directly to SHP and monitor their comms all day long....

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I can chime in and say that they ain't hiding out on VIPER.
I agree that Nextel is being used heavily.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I know the Traffic Signal supervisor for Division 3 out of Wilmington has a VIPER radio and uses it to communicate with SHP in E-town often, and I want to the he said they have a TG or two on VIPER, but I don't know what they are.

I remember when we first got our Nextels, EVERYONE had one, and thats what most everyone used. It WAS convienient, but when you're out in the middle of nowhere, only the LMR based radio worked.

I haven't noticed any TGs on the local New Hanover or Onslow systems, but both systems have undergon many changes since my days of dealing with them, so there could possibly be something there, but I doubt it.

As a matter of fact, one the way to the store a few minutes ago, I could hear a supervisor shooting the bull on the lowband unit-to-unit channel with a salt truck. Judging by what they were saying, they were about 10 miles from me, and I could hear them loud and clear on a handheld scanner...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I know the Traffic Signal supervisor for Division 3 out of Wilmington has a VIPER radio and uses it to communicate with SHP in E-town often, and I want to the he said they have a TG or two on VIPER, but I don't know what they are.

I remember when we first got our Nextels, EVERYONE had one, and thats what most everyone used. It WAS convienient, but when you're out in the middle of nowhere, only the LMR based radio worked.

I haven't noticed any TGs on the local New Hanover or Onslow systems, but both systems have undergon many changes since my days of dealing with them, so there could possibly be something there, but I doubt it.

As a matter of fact, one the way to the store a few minutes ago, I could hear a supervisor shooting the bull on the lowband unit-to-unit channel with a salt truck. Judging by what they were saying, they were about 10 miles from me, and I could hear them loud and clear on a handheld scanner...

VIPER TGID 8336 is labeled "NCDOT5". It along with the IMAP here in Wake County are the only VIPER TGIDs I see right off. But there are alot of places for them to hide on VIPER so I would not be surprised if they have a few more TGIDs here and there. :)
Oh and I agree about Nextel. Hell, I once worked for them on the corporate sales side before Sprint ruined them.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

VIPER TGID 8336 is labeled "NCDOT5". It along with the IMAP here in Wake County are the only VIPER TGIDs I see right off. But there are alot of places for them to hide on VIPER so I would not be surprised if they have a few more TGIDs here and there. :)
Oh and I agree about Nextel. Hell, I once worked for them on the corporate sales side before Sprint ruined them.
Marshall KE4ZNR

If NCDOT5 is a talkgroup for them it would stand to reason that there are at least 4 others and more than likely more...

Any other TGs for DOT floating around there? I've never had any hits on the NCDOT5 here in western NC.

Draf

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
If NCDOT5 is a talkgroup for them it would stand to reason that there are at least 4 others and more than likely more...

Any other TGs for DOT floating around there? I've never had any hits on the NCDOT5 here in western NC.

Draf

The "5" refers to the DOT highway division ... division 5 covers the area around Durham, Wake, Granville, Person Counties, etc.

Unless the talkgroup was setup for statewide useage, it's not likely you would hear it on the western Viper sites.

There are 14 divisions, each comprised of several "districts."

Drafin - For reference, if in use, you might hear a talkgroup for Division 11 (Caldwell, and counties to the north and northwest), Division 12 (Hickory, to the south and southeast), and Division 13 (to your west).

I don't know if those talkgroups might currently exist, but, if they don't, it is possible they will be created when the Viper system goes to P25 trunking and the I-Ds become consecutive (rather than spaced 16 / 32 bits apart).

Last edited:

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
the low band channels are just about dead around here. Sampson Co was using the repeater quite a bit. Duplin Co used it very little and now in Lenoir Co I hear nothing at all

Drafin

The "5" refers to the DOT highway division ... division 5 covers the area around Durham, Wake, Granville, Person Counties, etc.

Unless the talkgroup was setup for statewide useage, it's not likely you would hear it on the western Viper sites.

There are 14 divisions, each comprised of several "districts."

Drafin - For reference, if in use, you might hear a talkgroup for Division 11 (Caldwell, and counties to the north and northwest), Division 12 (Hickory, to the south and southeast), and Division 13 (to your west).

I don't know if those talkgroups might currently exist, but, if they don't, it is possible they will be created when the Viper system goes to P25 trunking and the I-Ds become consecutive (rather than spaced 16 / 32 bits apart).

Good info Jeff. The next bout with bad weather we have up here I'm gonna put a run of TGs in the scanner spaced 16 apart to cover about 20 TGs above and below "5" and see what I come up with.

Thanks man...

Draf

CFP387

Rowan (Division 9) has a fair amount of traffic on their repeater (47.38 PL 107.2) during bad weather. The rest of the time, you hardly ever hear any traffic. There is rarely any traffic on the input side (45.72 PL 151.4), mostly just flaggers if it's even used at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.