Durham City talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

swilkos

I'm hoping someone can shed light on a few talk groups that are listed for Durhams system, but don't appear to have any activity:

DEC* Alpha Tag Description Tag *
8816 MUTAID6D Durham Mutual Aid 6 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8848 MUTAID7D Durham Mutual Aid 7 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8880 MUTAID8D Durham Mutual Aid 8 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8912 MUTAID9D Durham Mutual Aid 9 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8944 MUTAID10D Durham Mutual Aid 10 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
9072 DUR PER TCM Durham Person County TriComm*

Based on my experience from other systems, my guess is that these are strictly for mutual aid with other counties, correct? Are there other groups used for inter-agency communication with Wake, Orange, etc?

There's also a half dozen or so RDU groups listed, but I've never heard a single crackle. Are those in use, or has that moved over to VIPER?

And finally, there's 16 TAC channels. Are these used for anything in particular? (Again another case of nothing coming across them.

Thanks,
Scott
Middeltown CT Fire Department
IAFF 1073 - Retired

WA4MJF

If Durham is like Wake, and I don't know that they are, MUTAID talks groups are for one jursidiction working with another. For example, in Wake if there was a call that had both RDU Fire Rescue and Morrisville Fire Rescue involved, they might use MUTAID1W.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Scott,
From the Misc System info at the top of the Durham 800Mhz database listing:

As Far as the Durham TRI-NET "Mutual Aid" System Talkgroups: The Mutual Aid 6 thru 10 D are the Durham County TGs on the Tri-Net "Mutual Aid" System. The D indicates they are on the Durham County System. Mutual Aid 1-5 have the W suffix to indicate they are on the Wake 800Mhz system, and 11 thru 15 have the C suffix to indicate they are on the Cary 800Mhz system. They are not relegated to any one discipline (Fire, EMS, or otherwise for their use) but are designed for multi-agency use.

They are used whenever a call is dispatched that may require resources from neighboring Wake County.
So The Tri Net Talkgroups are divided up as follows:
Mutual Aid 1-5W =On Wake Simulcast/VIPER
Mutual Aid 6-10= On Durham 800Mhz System
Mutual Aid 11-15= On Cary 800Mhz System

The Durham Tri-Net Mutual Aid channels due get used from time to time when a Wake County Fire/EMS unit gets dispatch out to assist in a Mutual Aid role with a Durham County Agency.
Basically another Interoperability tool.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I'm hoping someone can shed light on a few talk groups that are listed for Durhams system, but don't appear to have any activity:

DEC* Alpha Tag Description Tag *
8816 MUTAID6D Durham Mutual Aid 6 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8848 MUTAID7D Durham Mutual Aid 7 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8880 MUTAID8D Durham Mutual Aid 8 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8912 MUTAID9D Durham Mutual Aid 9 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
8944 MUTAID10D Durham Mutual Aid 10 (Multi-Agency Use)* Multi-Talk*
9072 DUR PER TCM Durham Person County TriComm*

Based on my experience from other systems, my guess is that these are strictly for mutual aid with other counties, correct? Are there other groups used for inter-agency communication with Wake, Orange, etc?

There's also a half dozen or so RDU groups listed, but I've never heard a single crackle. Are those in use, or has that moved over to VIPER?

And finally, there's 16 TAC channels. Are these used for anything in particular? (Again another case of nothing coming across them.

Thanks,
Scott
Middeltown CT Fire Department
IAFF 1073 - Retired

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

KRDU International Airport is indeed on VIPER, however the Durham County RDU Talkgroups remain active as a "backup" form of communication if the need should ever arise.

Everyday Public Safety response takes place on the 15 Durham OPS talkgroups (as you have no doubt found out) but the TAC Talkgroups remain on the system so they can be used if needed.
Should not hurt to keep them around because you never know when
they might end up being used.
Marshall KE4ZNR

swilkos

Thanks for the response Marshall. Just to clarify from a programming standpoint; MA 1-5W and MA11-15 belong as talkgroups within Wake and Cary's trunking systems, while the 6-10 are within the Durham physical system.

I have the TAC channels set up as a group quick key, so leaving them won't hurt a thing, and yes, if it get's that big, then absolutely want to keep them on there. .

Thanks again,
Scott

Scott,
From the Misc System info at the top of the Durham 800Mhz database listing:

They are used whenever a call is dispatched that may require resources from neighboring Wake County.
So The Tri Net Talkgroups are divided up as follows:
Mutual Aid 1-5W =On Wake Simulcast/VIPER
Mutual Aid 6-10= On Durham 800Mhz System
Mutual Aid 11-15= On Cary 800Mhz System

The Durham Tri-Net Mutual Aid channels due get used from time to time when a Wake County Fire/EMS unit gets dispatch out to assist in a Mutual Aid role with a Durham County Agency.
Basically another Interoperability tool.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response Marshall. Just to clarify from a programming standpoint; MA 1-5W and MA11-15 belong as talkgroups within Wake and Cary's trunking systems, while the 6-10 are within the Durham physical system.

You got it man :)
With a DMA scanner like the 996XT you can setup all 15 TriNET Mutual Aid Talkgroups under one System Quick Key. At least this is how I do it on both my 396XT & 996XT:
All 15 Mutual TGs from the 3 systems assigned to System Quick Key "40" (I use QK 40 because Interstate 40 connects all 3 systems).
Then I number tag the system as System Number tag 40 and channel tag the individual TGs appropriately (ie: Mutual Aid 11C gets Channel Number Tag 11).
That way all I have to do to pull up any of the 15 TriNet Mutual Aid Talkgroups is hit 40.Channel+Menu. So to pull up Mutual Aid 11C: 40.11+Menu. to pull up Mutual Aid 2W is hit 40.2+Menu.
Works great.

I have heard the reason for spreading the 15 Mutual Aid Talkgroups around to the 3 different systems was simple: keeping all the eggs out of one basket. Meaning that if one system has a major issue affected agencies could use Mutual Aid Talkgroups/Channels on the other system(s) as a temporary fix.

I have the TAC channels set up as a group quick key, so leaving them won't hurt a thing, and yes, if it get's that big, then absolutely want to keep them on there. .

Thanks again,
Scott

Yeah. You will find there are a lot of talkgroups on all 3 systems (VIPER/Wake, Cary, Durham) that get little day to day usage but you never know when they will become active so it behooves us to keep them around.
And with space in the Uniden XT scanners for up to 25,000 Channels/Talkgroups I don't think it will hurt anything to keep them around :cool:
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.