SHP on UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
On a late night trip to Cookout (right down the road from SHP Troop G Communications on Tunnel Rd.), close call picked up a UHF frequency that was carrying SHP traffic. The frequency was 453.2875 with a 103.5 PL. I searched the FCC website but didn't come up with anything. I figured it might be a back haul station since a majority of the neighboring counties are still on low-band, but I don't really know the details besides it's an alternative to point to point systems (I think). Can anyone elaborate?

I was sitting on a slight hill just west of the communications center, so my assumption would be it's a yagi pointed towards Haywood County, which has a listed UHF backhaul in the RR DB already. I was also hearing both sides of conversations (portable/mobile & console traffic) if that helps any.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WPDU377 - NORTH CAROLINA, STATE OF

Above is the URL for the license. That was the easy part.

I'm not sure what the license is covering, though.

I thought it might be for a mobile repeater, based on the power limitations. But the license only covers 1 mobile radio.

It could be a mobile radio setup to enhance communications inside a tunnel, or along a stretch of I-40 where the topography prevents typical low band communications.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
The FCC license data indicates a mobile user which could very well indicate a portable, given the 2w power level.
My thoughts are: possibly used by Troop G radio shop (600 Tunnel Rd) to monitor system; improved communications in Beaucatcher Tunnel.
It would be helpful to know what low band channel this UHF station or unit was repeating. Haywood County is on 9 & 10; Buncombe on 17 & 18; and rest of Troop G on 1 & 2.
2w is about right for a service monitor.

mhodgson

NCSHP still use some 450 links and a very few 72 MHz links to sites where there is currently no microwave. I seem to recall that link is Tunnel Road to either Chambers or Meadows....Most are GE Mastr II or Micor stations running 25-35w PA's if my memory is correct. With VIPER implementation many have been moved onto the MW.

M

trumpetman

Database Admin
Awesome guys. Thanks for all the replies. Next time I'm up that way I'll keep an ear out for it and try to narrow down the use based on who's talking and where they're talking about.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.