RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 PM

I don't know the answer to those questions but with an $11 million system and "99.6%" portable coverage as Harris has said, it really shouldn't matter.
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2012, 8:44 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks NCFire11 for the info. I'm a little confused, doesn't take much for an old timer like me. Is the Harris system still in process of upgrading it's digital signal patterns? Where I live on 96, a mile off Rt. 1, seems like it is really tough to get a signal whereas the old analog system I could easily pick up with the small duckie antenna on my old hand held scanner. I did take my 396xt to the Food Lion parking lot in Franklinton and the small antenna picked up the digital signals like gangbusters. I know the tower is just up the road but why such a difference 5 miles down the road in the same county? There must be a reason they have all 5 of the antenna patterns pointed in - maybe there is no crime or emergencies in Western Youngsville. Just curious, hopefully all will be back to normal (old days) soon. Almost seems like the local tower locations are not right or they need additional tower sites. Thanks - and appreciate the info on the PL frequencies.
Old 10-21-2012, 9:34 AM

I myself think they need a tower between Youngsville and Bunn somewhere, near Royale. Were you able to pick up the paging channels again?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFire11 View Post
I don't know the answer to those questions but with an $11 million system and "99.6%" portable coverage as Harris has said, it really shouldn't matter.
That depends. Does that coverage only cover "in-street" coverage like VIPER does? A lot of things to take into account here.
Old 10-21-2012, 1:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, got the paging frequencies - working good now and thanks again. Tried an experiment today, my daughter just had new siding put on her house so her old ham antenna was available, she gave up hamming years ago. Anyway, it's an 18' Diamond X510MA 2M/440 vertical that I cleaned up and rested against my metal 40' x 60' shop building to see if it would pick up the sheriffs digital channels, seems to work really good. I have another vertical and will end up mounting one on my shop and one on my house to get back to normal scanning. This is sure an overkill but the antennas are free and work like a charm. Would sure be nice to know if they will ever put another tower up, seems like we need it. I do wonder how good and reliable the police radios are out here in the boon docks. Maybe my 396xt just isn't up to the job - have no way to compare it to anything else, just know the rubber duckie antenna doesn't work in the south west corner of Youngsville like in the old analog days. Time will tell what happens
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFisherman View Post
Yes, got the paging frequencies - working good now and thanks again. Tried an experiment today, my daughter just had new siding put on her house so her old ham antenna was available, she gave up hamming years ago. Anyway, it's an 18' Diamond X510MA 2M/440 vertical that I cleaned up and rested against my metal 40' x 60' shop building to see if it would pick up the sheriffs digital channels, seems to work really good. I have another vertical and will end up mounting one on my shop and one on my house to get back to normal scanning. This is sure an overkill but the antennas are free and work like a charm. Would sure be nice to know if they will ever put another tower up, seems like we need it. I do wonder how good and reliable the police radios are out here in the boon docks. Maybe my 396xt just isn't up to the job - have no way to compare it to anything else, just know the rubber duckie antenna doesn't work in the south west corner of Youngsville like in the old analog days. Time will tell what happens
Glad you got it working, I believe they found the problem. As i stated a few weeks ago, the tower at FCSO was struck, taking out the fire paging system. They have investigated further and believe some of the new equipment has been damaged also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts548 View Post
That depends. Does that coverage only cover "in-street" coverage like VIPER does? A lot of things to take into account here.
The 99.6% portable coverage included using 12dB attenuators to simulate in building scenarios.
Old 10-23-2012, 6:10 PM

Hi all,
I'm having trouble scanning this new system. I have a 996xt and using Freescan for programming. I have the system type set as P25 Standard (Digital XT) and have imported the frequencies and talk groups from RR. I have good signal strength on the CC but I'm not hearing any audio. I'm near the 96 and US1 intersection so I think I should be able to scan this system. If I need to provide more info about my settings just let me know. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-24-2012, 1:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hiyudurin, your not alone. Live close to you, .6 mile from ET's near Freeman Farms. Have a new 396xt that was working great but the last 2 days all I've heard it testing of the sytem going on. Today, I just don't hear anything at all. Maybe both our Unidens have the same problem. We're in a bad location for signal strength of the new system.
Old 10-24-2012, 2:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm in the same boat not being able to receive audio. I'm running a PRO-96 and have a 75-80% CC signal. It will detect and stop on a talkgroup but I all I get is dead air and silence. I'm on NC-56 between NC-96 and US-1 so it could be my location.

I usually program with Win96 but until I get windows running on my Mac I'm stuck with programming the hard way! So, I was thinking it was user error on my part. Hearing from others with similar issues makes me think it could be something else.

Any advice or comments are welcomed!
Old 10-24-2012, 3:38 PM

I thought I was doing something wrong with the programming. I have good signal strength but no audio. My 996xt will also stop on a talk group but no audio. I have digital/analog set to auto, I've tried it set to digital only. I'm just not sure whats going on. Someone out there has to be able to figure this out, I don't believe its a coverage problem because the signal strength is too good.
Old 10-24-2012, 3:55 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just throwing this out there has anyone actually confirmed a system type like p25 or tdma II because from what im seeing the scanner is getting great coverage but it isnt decoding the tgids thats making me wonder if the system type is correct and can scanners decode this data
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 10-24-2012, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
Just throwing this out there has anyone actually confirmed a system type like p25 or tdma II because from what im seeing the scanner is getting great coverage but it isnt decoding the tgids thats making me wonder if the system type is correct and can scanners decode this data
The system is a P25 Phase I 9600 baud. My scanner has no problem identifying TGIDs and their aliases however audio is very distorted and most times unlegible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB4DAV View Post
I'm in the same boat not being able to receive audio. I'm running a PRO-96 and have a 75-80% CC signal. It will detect and stop on a talkgroup but I all I get is dead air and silence. I'm on NC-56 between NC-96 and US-1 so it could be my location.

I usually program with Win96 but until I get windows running on my Mac I'm stuck with programming the hard way! So, I was thinking it was user error on my part. Hearing from others with similar issues makes me think it could be something else.

Any advice or comments are welcomed!
The closest tower to you is along US1 about 1.5-2 miles north of NC56, so I doubt that is the problem. Engineers are looking into coverage and distortion problems that are even being experienced on the M7300s. Fire and EMS are not switching till this is sorted out.

I recall hearing Car 1(Sheriff Jones) saying to the telecommunicators, "This radio situation is unacceptable, something must be done."

Last edited by NCFire11; 10-24-2012 at 7:47 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 7:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

But what i was pointing at is people are decoding the system at high % and they know this and are picking up tgids but distorted traffic if that much so it would sound as if it wouldnt be signal strength as much as like say maybe some enc or something along those lines
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 10-24-2012, 7:58 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

It's not encryption. Everything in the database is fine and correct. The low power simulcast is what's causing issues. It looks like the engineers tried to design the new system too tightly to remain within the county and not protrude into neighboring jurisdictions. A great concept, just really hard to do unless you're on 700/800. VHF is meant to be free spirit and run at high power.
Old 10-24-2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetman View Post
It's not encryption. Everything in the database is fine and correct. The low power simulcast is what's causing issues. It looks like the engineers tried to design the new system too tightly to remain within the county and not protrude into neighboring jurisdictions. A great concept, just really hard to do unless you're on 700/800. VHF is meant to be free spirit and run at high power.
Right, only 2 tgids are encrypted, NARC and SRT ops. I feel like we should have got on VIPER while we had the chance.
Old 10-24-2012, 8:29 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

This is one of the rare occasions that I would have to agree with you. Being on VIPER would allow for near seamless mutual aid responses into/from Wake County. All the money spent on the system could have gone towards building out another site (possibly to the north) to add better coverage and saved a lot of money to go towards radios for all the departments. Of course, in reality, RIDs are few and far between and the area is already saturated with 800, so spectrum is just as plentiful as IDs too.

Give it some time, they'll get things working right. They kinda have to...
Old 10-24-2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetman View Post
This is one of the rare occasions that I would have to agree with you. Being on VIPER would allow for near seamless mutual aid responses into/from Wake County. All the money spent on the system could have gone towards building out another site (possibly to the north) to add better coverage and saved a lot of money to go towards radios for all the departments. Of course, in reality, RIDs are few and far between and the area is already saturated with 800, so spectrum is just as plentiful as IDs too.

Give it some time, they'll get things working right. They kinda have to...
We were offered some contract to hop onto viper, which included infrastructure and radios, however we did not. But all adjoining counties with the exception of Nash and perhaps warren, use viper. And yes they have to get it working pretty much like we want it. We have their arm bent backwards in the contract
Old 10-24-2012, 8:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I didnt mean it in the sense that the enc was said i was just saying if you have s good decode rate on the system and are picking up tgids but the scanner isnt decoding hen something is up but there again unless you have alot of traffic on the system to play with like fire and ems dispatch then you really cant do but so much playing with settings and what not
Old 10-24-2012, 9:23 PM

I was near a deputy in Youngsville today and heard traffic over his portable radio. You couldn't understand a word that was being said. I just hope that someone is not in a life or death situation and have to depend on this system for help. I wonder how long it will be before they scrap it and go to viper like they should have done from the beginning?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyudurin View Post
I was near a deputy in Youngsville today and heard traffic over his portable radio. You couldn't understand a word that was being said. I just hope that someone is not in a life or death situation and have to depend on this system for help. I wonder how long it will be before they scrap it and go to viper like they should have done from the beginning?
Why would they go with VIPER? Do people not realize VIPER isn't mean to take on every county in the state and provide a radio system to them. I've said it once and I'll say it again. VIPER was meant to create interoperability through out the state, not take on every county and provide a radio system for them.