Duke Energy / OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

Just wanted to let everyone know that Duke Energy has almost finished the transition to the new OpenSky system. Majority of the company has already completely switched over including Spartanburg (SC), and the service area known as "UniFour" (Hickory, Lenoir, etc.) You may still catch a little stuff here & there on the old Motorola system but it is slated to become silent by the end of the month. Remember though that the crew up in Nantahala (mountains) will remain on the VHF equipment that they currently use. Simply because it would be cost prohibitive to put OpenSky up there. Coverage would be horrid. Not exactly sure what the interop solution is going to be for that area but I will update as I get that information.

I hate this as much as everyone else does. I used to monitor them, especially during storms. The OpenSky system is actually working very well for them, along with a lot of software/new program upgrades at the customer service & Response (Service Dispatch) sectors.

Just wanted to give everyone an update as promised. Wish it was better news..... I guess in a way it is, and a way it isn't, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.