Statewide VIPER TGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Feed Provider
Marshall (or anyone who knows),

An earlier post by me today brought up a good point.

Can you tell me which VIPER TGs are statewide and can be monitored anywhere?

I know the Events TGs are statewide, but what about the DPRR or other TGs.

Thanks,
Doug

ts548

Thanks,
Doug

There is quite a few. If you are alittle more specfic we can help you as to which ones.

DougWare

Feed Provider
There is quite a few. If you are alittle more specfic we can help you as to which ones.

I'm breaking my TGs up into Regional/Statewide systems, and want the statewide TGs active all the time.

For example, I know the Events TGs can be heard anywhere. Are the DPRR groups the same? What else is broadcase through the statewide VIPER system.

Thanks,
Doug

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
If I am interpreting the question right one thing that you need to realize is that this is a smartzone system. While the events groups are statewide, if there isnt a radio affiliated with the tower that you are monitoring, you wont hear it.

Example: I was working on base last night (Onslow County) and heard Cumberland County SO over VIPER which means that there was a radio affiliated with the JVILLE tower that was monitoring Cumberland County. As a result, I was able to hear everything, but once that radio that was affiliated with JVILLE was shut off, you would no longer be able to hear Cumberland County SO over the JVILLE tower...

Based off of that example, if there isnt a radio on your tower monitoring the events TGs you wont hear anything.

Marshall please correct me if I am wrong on this!

Thanks

Thanks,
Doug

trumpetman

Database Admin
Doug,

Not sure if it'll help with what you're looking for, but just to let you know. The Roam & Pool TGs for VIPER should be SYSTEM wide, such as:

East Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the C508 system.
Central Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the 6038 system.
Piedmont Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the C123 system. and
West Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the C92D system

This is regardless of affiliations and who's listening on what site.

There is also statewide calling, fire, ems, law, and general government.
The SMAT TG is also statewide (11504 I think)
Each SHP Troop has a troop wide talkgroup... I'm not sure if the mutual aid TG is active on all sites in the troop though. SHP Also has 4 statewide TGs.

I'm not sure about the 3 LZ Coordination TGs and what permissions they have. They could be regional, or only on sites that radios are affiliated to.

I don't believe the DPRR TGs have a large coverage area. I've been listening to the Transylvania TG one time and only heard them on one of the four local towers I monitor.

Look under the "Systemwide/Statewide" heading in the VIPER database, and also do a search (Ctrl + F) for "statewide" & "S/W" and that should help narrow down a lot of the major TGs you're looking for.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't apply to your question and I misread it, disregard

DougWare

Feed Provider
Doug,

Not sure if it'll help with what you're looking for, but just to let you know. The Roam & Pool TGs for VIPER should be SYSTEM wide, such as:

East Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the C508 system.
Central Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the 6038 system.
Piedmont Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the C123 system. and
West Roam/Pool TGs will transmit on all sites in the C92D system

This is regardless of affiliations and who's listening on what site.

There is also statewide calling, fire, ems, law, and general government.
The SMAT TG is also statewide (11504 I think)
Each SHP Troop has a troop wide talkgroup... I'm not sure if the mutual aid TG is active on all sites in the troop though. SHP Also has 4 statewide TGs.

I'm not sure about the 3 LZ Coordination TGs and what permissions they have. They could be regional, or only on sites that radios are affiliated to.

I don't believe the DPRR TGs have a large coverage area. I've been listening to the Transylvania TG one time and only heard them on one of the four local towers I monitor.

Look under the "Systemwide/Statewide" heading in the VIPER database, and also do a search (Ctrl + F) for "statewide" & "S/W" and that should help narrow down a lot of the major TGs you're looking for.

I hope this helps, and if it doesn't apply to your question and I misread it, disregard

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!

Doug (and all),
Sorry to be late to the party. Work has been insane lately. We are trying to wrap things up for the end of the year.
Anyway, Trumpetman pretty much nails it. There are a lot of variables when it
comes to where a radio will have transmit/receive capability. Each radio (or group of radios) has a profile that specifies where the radio is allowed to work and roam. Separately each talkgroup has a profile which specifies which radios (or groups of radios) are allowed to use it and where the usage will occur. So you have both the radio profile and the Talkgroup profile which specify where a talkgroup where be used and who can use it. Complicated, huh? So some users can use some talkgroups only locally while some others can use them pretty much systemwide. Lots of variables at play.
With the above being said the DPRR TGs (if I remember correctly) are for widespread disaster response interop so they should have a wide area profile assigned.
HERE is an old powerpoint (ppt) presentation on DPRR and what it entails.
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.