New KCLT Frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I just picked up 127.7000 on close call on my scanner a few minutes ago... Traffic is clear as a bell, even with a rubber ducky and I've ran a few of the flight numbers on Google which all return to KCLT. After a few minutes I even heard traffic being cleared into runway 23... also a runway at Charlotte. Can anyone clarify of any frequency changes/updates. My guess is it's an approach/departure freq because they're switching to tower shortly before touching down. The usual freq for my local app/dep airspace is a very busy 128.325, but I haven't heard anything on it.

I've also searched ZTL, ZJX, & ZDC pages in the database and only gotten one return on an RCAG in Maryland.

Can anyone elaborate updates/reasoning?

kg4pbd

Any chance it could be clearance delivery rather than approach? 127.7 is commonly used as a clearance delivery frequency, and 127.15 is already in use at CLT for clearance delivery.

KM4WLV

I can't remember right off what its used for,but I've had 127.7 in my scanner in the car for a while now for CLT & listen to it every morning on the way in to work. From what I've heard on it I'm thinking that it's an approach freq.

ou99

Found some of my very old (2006 time frame) notes.

It was then assigned to ATL ARTCC and handed off to/fm CLT Tracon. Sector was labeled "UNK probably sector 7". Might very well have changed since then but was very actively used by as KCLT TRACON as a departure hand-off. Aircraft signals were clear because of altitude at hand-off.

I haven't monitored aviation in a long time.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I have monitored this frequency for years along with 119.000, both used for approach during very busy push times at Charlotte. I could never find any reference to these being assigned to KCLT. I had my brother who is a pilot check all of his sources for me several times and still nothing.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I don't think it's gonna be a clearance freq, the traffic was too clear to be ground based, and the comms were approach based (reference to lining up with a runway then switching to tower).

I'm almost positive the assignment is an approach/departure frequency. I've never known traffic to switch directly from a center to a tower and skip the approach controllers all together, but then again, I'm no aviation comms expert, ou99.

If it helps to at least narrow down a sector... most if not all aircraft were approaching runway 23 and were around the NE part of KCLT airspace. I'll plug in the 119.000 frequency as well. Do you have any rough estimates on where this frequency is used (what runways/airspace sectors?).

Thanks again for the input everyone!

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
They never used them, as far as I know, for any specific runway or sector. It varied to just whatever was needed at the time. I have heard them used for 18/36 L/C/R and 23/05. They appear to be overflow or standby freqs based on traffic. They are not in use all the time.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber

From doing a lot of listening while sitting at the airport, I think this is the way they have it set up:

Flights from other places are routed over 4 points inbound to Charlotte, From the Northeast is routed over a point just to the north of Salisbury, from the southeast or south (say Florida) is routed over Chesterfield VOR in SC, flights from the southwest are routed over a point southeast of Spartanburg and from the northwest is routed over a point southwest of Hickory.

For a flight inbound from the northeast, they are handed off from Atlanta Center to Charlotte Approach on 126.150 somewhere around Salisbury. The controller there will get the flight descended and generally lined up for the runway they will use. If the flight will land on either 18L/36R/23, they will be handed off to the final controller on 127.700 when they reach a certain point and altitude. That controller is mainly concerned with spacing and getting everyone lined up for the runway. When the flight is about 5 miles from touchdown, they will be handled off to the Tower on 118.100.

I think the way things work is that 126.150 handles flights over Salisbury and Chesterfield. 125.350 handles flights over Spartanburg and Hickory. As stated, 127.700 is the final for 18L/36R/23. 119.000 is the final controller for 18C/36C and 132.700 is the final for the new 18L/36R runway. The best I can tell, 128.325 is for places like Concord and Stanly County and also for low altitude flights to the east. There is probably an equivalent frequency to the west for Gastonia but I haven't ran that down yet.

Departures go out between the arrival routes, a flight to the northeast from Charlotte generally flies east of the city and climbs. When they get to a point between Charlotte and Albemarle, they are cleared to turn on-course.

Again, most of this comes from listening, I may have it wrong in some places since I don't live down there but maybe it might give some of you closer something to play with if you are interested. If you look at the CLT page on airnav.com, you see PDFs for the arrival and departure routes.

trumpetman

Database Admin
That makes perfect sense, I just don't get why final control wouldn't be listed. It is at other airports. Thanks for the breakdown. I've been meaning to write out a play-by-play so I can better understand how KCLT works, and this definitely helps. Thanks for the reply!

Nortonterrier

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up 127.7000 on close call on my scanner a few minutes ago... Traffic is clear as a bell, even with a rubber ducky and I've ran a few of the flight numbers on Google which all return to KCLT. After a few minutes I even heard traffic being cleared into runway 23... also a runway at Charlotte. Can anyone clarify of any frequency changes/updates. My guess is it's an approach/departure freq because they're switching to tower shortly before touching down. The usual freq for my local app/dep airspace is a very busy 128.325, but I haven't heard anything on it.

I've also searched ZTL, ZJX, & ZDC pages in the database and only gotten one return on an RCAG in Maryland.

Can anyone elaborate updates/reasoning?

119.0 & 127.7 are know as "Final Approach". 127.7 for the east side / 119.0 works the west side. They are only active during peak times.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
This afternoon (4PM June 6,2013) I am listening at to 127.7.

I am hearing traffic mostly heading east from the west (090-270 HEADINGS) being spaced out and funneled into a track for an ILS approach to the 18L runway..

It appears that this is used as an overload frequency and not always in use, nor always assigned to this particular runway.

Probably the reason it does not appear on the FAA issued airport map for KCLT is that it is not monitored when not active, and the FAA is afraid someone will try to use it when it is not active, causing some sort of adverse consequence.

Last edited:

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
128.325 KCLT

I get the impression that this frequency is used as a TRACON for LOW < 8000ft traffic NORTH EAST of CLT, and or enroute to VUJ Albemarle, JQF Concord, or some traffic approaching RUQ Salisbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.