Monitoring NC State Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRSpero

I have a question about monitoring the NCSHP from county to county. do you have to put in diffrent control channels for each county as you go from say wilmington to asheville or is there a set of freq. that will cover you for the SHP across the entire state. Please let me know as i am trying to finish up this update and would love to have SHP in it.

Thanks
Jimmy

reconrider8

that depends on you program in all of your local cc and let them go but if you are traveling then i would put in all the sites you can along that route

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Jimmy,
depends on a lot of variables. Also it would help if we knew what type of scanner you are using.
If you spend the majority of time in Wake County (your profile says Cary) then you should only have to program the Wake County Simulcast Control Channels of 868.7875Mhz & 868.5625Mhz into your radio. You will hear SHP Comms for Central NC such as Troop C District 3 (Wake County) and Troop C District 6 (Johnston County), Troop C Dist 7 (Durham) and depending on who is affiliated to the Wake County Simulcast part of VIPER you may or may not hear SHP Comms from outside the local area (Troop B, Troop D, etc).
If you are in a different part of the state you need to enter the Control Channel freqs for the sites closest to you and hope that SHP is affiliated to that site. That would be the "maybe you will hear it maybe not" VIPER Smartzone outside of Wake County aspects.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I have a question about monitoring the NCSHP from county to county. do you have to put in diffrent control channels for each county as you go from say wilmington to asheville or is there a set of freq. that will cover you for the SHP across the entire state. Please let me know as i am trying to finish up this update and would love to have SHP in it.

Thanks
Jimmy

Loverickbass

Premium Subscriber
OK, I'm confussed. Why not enter all the channels for the site verses CC only? I've always entered the whole thing. Should I just use CC only?

nitroboie

It's up to you Rick. The only advantage of inputing all of the frequencies is if for some odd reason the CC changes. You'll still be able to monitor the system and you won't even notice. For simplicity and less clutter I prefer CC only.

JR, the lowband frequencies might be useful too if you want to add them.

KM4WLV

I guess those extra channels are for future use?

The "extra" channels you're referring to if I'm following you right, you mean the channels/freqs that aren't used as control channels.... Right?

Those frequencies are used as voice channels and if you monitor those out of trunked mode you will hear the voice traffic on those frequencies, however you'll notice that the conversation jumps from channel to channel. That is the site controller finding an open repeater & moving the traffic there & telling the aapropriate radios what to listen for.

Most every new scanner on the market & some of the older ones support whats called Control Channel Only trunking. Its just a simpler way to monitor systems without having to remember a multitude of frequencies, etc. But all the frequencies that are assigned to a system are used 9 times out of 10. If you look at most systems listings, especially VIPER, you'll notice there are your primary control channels (Usually in red in our database), and then you have you secondary / backup control channels (usually denoted in blue). If you decide to go with the control channel only option MAKE FOR SURE you enter the primary & back up control channels. If for some reason the controller changes up & goes to a secondary control channel & you don't have it programmed you will surely lose the ability to monitor that paticular site until the control channel you have programmed in comes back on line.

There is more information it the Wiki section here on RR.com, or you can search Google, Bing, WikiPedia, etc.

Hope this helps some !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.