Catawba Co switching to viper 1-12-2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckinnc

Catawba Co will be switching to Viper this Wednesday at 6:30AM. There are suppose to be five frequencys that cover all channels and you can monitor them with a standard scanner. Does anyone know
what equipment would be needed to monitor the viper system or what the main frequencys would be?

ncdadof3

Premium Subscriber
It will have to be digital because they are already communicating on Viper.I have a pro-106 and a pro-197 which i monitor them on. I have the catawba towers programmed in these. I hope this helps

chuckinnc

Pro 106 or 197

Ok sounds like either the 106 or 197 would work ok for monitoring Catawba County? Guess I should have
upgraded when NC SHP switched to viper, does your pro106 or pickup the SHP.

ncdadof3

Premium Subscriber
Yes the pro-106 picks the SHP loud and clear so does the Pro-197. In my opinon the are both great scanners to pick up Viper. There is a great file for Viper in the Viper forum that i believe RandyK did. It is very good and with the Win 500 software you can tweek it to your needs. I hope this helps need any thing else just ask

yardbird

Catawba County EMS has been on Viper for a while now.

I can take my Uniden BCD396 Digital Scanner to work and lock on the Belmont Viper Tower.

I pick them up fairly well.

I finally had to lock out the talkgroup, because they were locking up my scanner with all the talking.

I can get good hits on Catawba, Iredell, Stanly, and Montgomery counties on Viper.

When I have the Cabarrus Viper Site Up, I can even pick-up E-Town SHP dispatching units to calls.

It is great to listen to some other areas across the state that is on Viper.

David

chuckinnc

Not sure but if you want to monitor

I checked the channels today and Catawba co main channel 155.55 mhz is no longer. From what i can
determine viper is a 800mhz system that uses apco p25 digital. Bottom line is that you will need to buy a a new scanner, One that can decode P25 digital ,if you want ot monitor Catawba county from now on.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
FWIW - Catawba County is still, as expected, using 154.415 and 159.960 for fire and ems dispatching, respectively.

I noted this afternoon an announcement over the fire channel that one of Propst Crossroads FD's members had passed away. My condolences to members of that department who may read the RR posts.

kd8x

I checked the channels today and Catawba co main channel 155.55 mhz is no longer. From what i can
determine viper is a 800mhz system that uses apco p25 digital. Bottom line is that you will need to buy a a new scanner, One that can decode P25 digital ,if you want ot monitor Catawba county from now on.

I heard 155.55 being used in Catawba this morning so it ain't off just yet.

Drafin

I heard 155.55 being used in Catawba this morning so it ain't off just yet.

I would bet that it gets converted into a frequency for a department that could use it independent of VIPER. In Caldwell county the main Sheriff dispatch channel (155.565) got converted to mainly Animal Control (with infrequent paging and some School Resource use). I would bet that (depending on when the licence expires) that is what will happen with 155.550. But this is just a guess.

Draf

msigmon3306

Let me clear up what's going on in Catawba County......

EMS, Rescue, County Fire, Hickory Fire, Conover PD, and Sheriff Dept established VHF to VIPER patches in 2009 in anticipation of a transition to VIPER. Main dispatch channels on VHF for all these agencies were patched to their corresponding VIPER TG's using an ACU 1000.

EMS switched to VIPER using portables only in December 2009. Mobiles were gradually added to the fleet over 2009-2010 with the bulk of them being installed in October. I'm overseeing the final mobile install today, then we'll be 100% VIPER.

County Fire, Hickory Fire, and Rescue Squads are receiving their radios today at a radio distribution/training meeting. These agencies will be using portables only although I think some of them will be buying mobiles. I don't remember the final number of radios bought but it was in the hundreds; they were purchased with an Assistance to Firefighters Grant that we were awarded in 2010.

Catawba County Sheriffs Office switched to VIPER on Wednesday using radios purchased on a seperate grant. They no longer have a VHF patch, they are operating strictly on VIPER.

The old Sheriffs Department VHF channel is now patched to 49824 c2a D CATLEDISP Catawba County LE Dispatch Law Dispatch and the law enforcement agencies in the towns and smaller cities are still using this channel.

I haven't been to the meeting yet so I'm not sure of all of the details of the final transition.

Hope this helps

kd8x

Let me clear up what's going on in Catawba County......

EMS, Rescue, County Fire, Hickory Fire, Conover PD, and Sheriff Dept established VHF to VIPER patches in 2009 in anticipation of a transition to VIPER. Main dispatch channels on VHF for all these agencies were patched to their corresponding VIPER TG's using an ACU 1000.

EMS switched to VIPER using portables only in December 2009. Mobiles were gradually added to the fleet over 2009-2010 with the bulk of them being installed in October. I'm overseeing the final mobile install today, then we'll be 100% VIPER.

County Fire, Hickory Fire, and Rescue Squads are receiving their radios today at a radio distribution/training meeting. These agencies will be using portables only although I think some of them will be buying mobiles. I don't remember the final number of radios bought but it was in the hundreds; they were purchased with an Assistance to Firefighters Grant that we were awarded in 2010.

Catawba County Sheriffs Office switched to VIPER on Wednesday using radios purchased on a seperate grant. They no longer have a VHF patch, they are operating strictly on VIPER.

The old Sheriffs Department VHF channel is now patched to 49824 c2a D CATLEDISP Catawba County LE Dispatch Law Dispatch and the law enforcement agencies in the towns and smaller cities are still using this channel.

I haven't been to the meeting yet so I'm not sure of all of the details of the final transition.

Hope this helps

thanks for the good info....

kd8x

still hearing Catawba SO on 155.55 as of 1/14/2011 at 8:30 pm....it's all good....

Status
Not open for further replies.