Need help on picking the right viper scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckinnc

I need a state of the art P25 capable viper scanner for local SHP (Troop F) and Catawba co. area, I have a desk full of analog scanners and communication receivers so I only want to buy the best one for software support in my area. I have a few questions and need to pick out which scanner would work best for me:

1. Does anyone know if the viper system will stay unencrypted ?
2. Which scanner has the best support for files I can download for the area I want to monitor, hopefully
free files from this site.
3. Would there be any 3rd party software I would need to purchase that does not come with the scanner.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
A Uniden BCD996XT, Freescan(free), and a premium subscription to Radio Reference should have you good to go.
Works for me.

Drafin

I own a GRE PSR 500 and love it.

That being said your choices are pretty limited. Basically you have the PSR500 and 600 (and their Radio Shack equivalents the Pro 106 and Pro 197, internally identical to the 500 and 600 listed above) and the upcoming GRE PSR 800, the ease of use scanner preprogrammed with the RR database on a memory card. From Uniden you have the Home Patrol, the Uniden preprogrammed offering, as well as the Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT and Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT.

Read all the info you can find here in the GRE and Uniden forums and make an informed decision on your own. Asking which is better is akin to asking which is better a Ford or a Chevrolet, it can lead to a fist fight.

Draf

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Draf is 100% correct. It is like asking 100 people which is better Coke or Pepsi. 50 will tell you Coke, 49 will tell you Pepsi, and I will tell you Makers Mark Bourbon. :cool:
Both GRE/Radio Shack and Uniden have pluses and minuses and each offers features the other does not.
Read up on the features offered and find out which radio you think
you will enjoy using on a day to day basis. :)
For the record I own and use both GRE/Radio Shack and Uniden Scanners.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

I own a GRE PSR 500 and love it.

That being said your choices are pretty limited. Basically you have the PSR500 and 600 (and their Radio Shack equivalents the Pro 106 and Pro 197, internally identical to the 500 and 600 listed above) and the upcoming GRE PSR 800, the ease of use scanner preprogrammed with the RR database on a memory card. From Uniden you have the Home Patrol, the Uniden preprogrammed offering, as well as the Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT and Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT.

Read all the info you can find here in the GRE and Uniden forums and make an informed decision on your own. Asking which is better is akin to asking which is better a Ford or a Chevrolet, it can lead to a fist fight.

Draf

CoolCat

Premium Subscriber
Any P25 (digital) capable scanner should serve you fine.

The BCD996XT (base/mobile) and BCD396XT (handheld/portable) are Uniden's current top of the line, full featured digital scanners. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either one of them (I have both).

Status
Not open for further replies.