Team channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

nascar29

A number of Nascar teams have gone to digital radios and are using some new frequencies with them. They cannot use them for car to crew traffic but can use them for other things. I am finding out that several are using them for traffic between crew chiefs of the same car owner and for spotter to crew traffic. Anyone have any idea how I can find them? they obviously are not being published in the public forums.

Drafin

A number of Nascar teams have gone to digital radios and are using some new frequencies with them. They cannot use them for car to crew traffic but can use them for other things. I am finding out that several are using them for traffic between crew chiefs of the same car owner and for spotter to crew traffic. Anyone have any idea how I can find them? they obviously are not being published in the public forums.

If it's something you are actually able to pick up the only options are to wait until someone finds and publishes them or search them out at a track. Searching them out could take a very long time though and unless you heard names, car numbers or voices you recognized, I'd imagine it would be quite frustrating.

After the season starts I'd expect to see someone publish them somewhere IF they are scannable. I'd try the nascar groups on yahoo for a start.

Draf

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Uniden's Product Manager (UPMan here at RR.com and elsewhere) cleared up this confusion a while back on the HomePatrol Yahoo group:

I just spoke to NASCAR. That is an old Motorola promo video that really
misrepresents certain aspects of what is happening. NASCAR remains committed to
keeping all driver/pit crew comms on open, analog channels.

UPMan

If anyone would know it would be Paul. :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For the record the video in question showed some comms being handled
on Mototrbo Radios. But NASCAR would be foolish to alienate both fans
and business partners (such as Uniden & Racing Comms) by going to a proprietary comm format.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

The OP was talking about freqs other than car to crew. I figure you'll always be able to monitor car to crew, be he was talking about spotter to crew, owner to chief, those type of things. Spotters and owners have the ability to use the crew to driver freqs but I think he was asking about the others.

It's been my experience that everything I want to hear at a race is on the main channel of the teams I want to monitor as well as Race Control and network coverage... but that's just me. :)

Draf

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Working around CMS for the last 6 years and talking with some knowledgeable individuals that deal with track communications, it's my understanding that the all teams actually use 800. The UHF freqs that fans listen to are repeater channels that are controlled by Racing Radios. They can effectively control what does and does not go out over the air. Nascar has been using MOTOTRBO the last few years for the Safety Safari and the pace car among other things, so it's no surprise that the teams are moving in that direction also.

Status
Not open for further replies.