Surry County

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElkinGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hey i was wondering if anyone knows the scan frequencies for the Elkin Police Department. They have just switched to digital. Please help me if ya can just type it out in plain text.

John

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
While I don't live in Surry County anymore, I know they were planning on switching to the VIPER 800 Mhz trunked radio network. From what I remember, all of their talkgroups will be digital, meaning you will need a scanner capable of receiving digital radio formats. There are several on the market right now from Uniden, Radio Shack, and GRE.

Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

The above link goes to the VIPER page in the Radio Reference database. You will need to scroll down to the Elkin site to find the frequencies. Remember, a conventional scanner will not follow the conversations. You will need a digital trunk tracking scanner.

You have come to the right site for assistance. Keep asking questions and hopefully we'll be able to help!

ElkinGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have a pro 197 scanner from Radio shack this unit should work shouldnt it. I am still having problems finding them on the scanner.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have a pro 197 scanner from Radio shack this unit should work shouldnt it. I am still having problems finding them on the scanner.

Considering how complex public safety radio systems (including VIPER) are these days digital capable trunking scanners have tended to be complex as well. Learning how to operate your radio along with all of its additional
features is a must.
Stick with it and learn a little each day and you will be a trunking guru in no time at all :)
I would recommend reading up on your radio at the following link:
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

kd8x

I have heard Elkin PD on Viper almost everyday. But there is not a whole lot of comms on their channel or talkgroup. You may have to listen for an hour or so before getting anything out of them. Also, I believe it was only yesterday that I also heard them on the vhf freq also so I'm not sure if they have left old system completely or not. Probably simulcasting for a little while before doing away with old vhf stuff. Fire and EMS are still on VHF also....hope this helps...Yadkin sheriff still on vhf too....
k8dx

Last edited:

kd8x

kd8x what frequency on viper are you listening to
It would be either the Elkin Viper site or perhaps one of the Surry Co sites. The Wilkes Co Poores site would probably be picking up Elkin PD also...If you want the actual frequencies I would have to look them up but I just look at the name tags and don't try to remember the freqs....

Elkin site Control Freq is 868.875

Last edited:

ElkinGuy

Premium Subscriber
Elkin has rebanded there frequency I cant find them on the scanner now. Could anyone please help.

kd8x

Elkin has rebanded there frequency I cant find them on the scanner now. Could anyone please help.

CC should be 853.875 now...you will probably have to enter a custom band plan into your RS to get it to track properly since the CC ends in a 5......

ElkinGuy

Premium Subscriber
i entered in 853.875 and it is nothing but static on my scanner. How can i enter a custom band plan

kd8x

i entered in 853.875 and it is nothing but static on my scanner. How can i enter a custom band plan

I'm not sure how to program the new band plans into the Radio Shack models. perhaps you can get some help on the RS forum on RR....

jon46and2

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Elkin as well and having the same issues since the rebanding. I have a 396XT and I had forgotten just how complicated the programming process was on this thing. When I first programmed it, I had a pretty good grasp of it but now I am totally lost again. Since the rebanding I have tried changing the frequencies but not getting any transmissions at all. Are you having any luck?

kd8x

I'm in Elkin as well and having the same issues since the rebanding. I have a 396XT and I had forgotten just how complicated the programming process was on this thing. When I first programmed it, I had a pretty good grasp of it but now I am totally lost again. Since the rebanding I have tried changing the frequencies but not getting any transmissions at all. Are you having any luck?

Have you examined this thread yet???
http://forums.radioreference.com/no...o-longer-receive-viper-please-click-here.html
You must use the custom band plan (site type) after entering new rebanded frequencies otherwise the scanner doesn't know where the extra 120 channels are. The link above gives you the info how to do this if you are using Freescan software for your XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.