pro197 and what else needed for viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckinnc

I thinking of ordering a pro197 just to monitor Viper. Being new to p25 digital I hear different things about
what is needed and don't know which is correct. If I get a new pro197, then does it come with the nessesary software to program in my county and local SHP or will I have to buy a 3rd party software
package to do this?

ncdadof3

Premium Subscriber
You will need the program cable from radio shack and software to program it. I prefer Win 500. After this you will be all set to program your scanner.

reconrider8

well honestly it all depends on your level and understanding of viper if you understand it you can program it pretty easy by hand which i did

chuckinnc

I don't understand it that well yet, but

I am learning more and more everyday about viper. You said you programed yours by hand, I'm not sure what all I need to enter, I only want to monitor the VIPER system in the county, there are 3 tower sites with about 5 frequencys each listed on the RR database. I don't see any of the many talkgroups listed, just these 35-30
866-868mhz frequencys. Would entering these be enough? If not where do I find the talkgroups?

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
I am learning more and more everyday about viper. You said you programed yours by hand, I'm not sure what all I need to enter, I only want to monitor the VIPER system in the county, there are 3 tower sites with about 5 frequencys each listed on the RR database. I don't see any of the many talkgroups listed, just these 35-30
866-868mhz frequencys. Would entering these be enough? If not where do I find the talkgroups?

It would help us a little more if we knew what county you were in. When you go to the database, all you need to enter is the frequencies in red they are the control channels for each site. Then scroll down a nd find your county.
They may or may not be on VIPER. Just let us know what county you are in and we will go from there.

reconrider8

i would just enter the cc and ac (the red and blue for the 3 different sites) and program each site different and then just leave the tgids to wildcard and use waht you have to figure out whose who and you will eventually learn them just like an alpha tag

chuckinnc

Yes I am in Catawba co

Thanks for all the replies, maybe I will get it going soon, this is a referb pro197 that RS online has on special for $299 + tax, It just arrived so Im ready to get it going. Catawba Co. went 100% VIPER a few
weeks ago, there are 3 towers listed on the RR database, I will program in the freqs that are in red and see what happens.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Thanks for all the replies, maybe I will get it going soon, this is a referb pro197 that RS online has on special for $299 + tax, It just arrived so Im ready to get it going. Catawba Co. went 100% VIPER a few
weeks ago, there are 3 towers listed on the RR database, I will program in the freqs that are in red and see what happens.
You might wanna program the two blue freqs also plus the 38 TGRP objects for Catawba and your SPD division groups as well.

reconrider8

chuck really a tip is get the towers around your county to never know what all you might be able to catch with unless you program em in

chuckinnc

I found a pro 106 and cloned it in about 1 minute

The clone worked great, fast, now the pro 197 is active like it was before the county went to VIPER, I will continue to play around with searching for unknown freqs on the 3 tower sites but for now all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.