Anyone in Catawba Co area can prog a Pro197

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckinnc

I just purchased a Pro197 from RS online, it arrived today. I need it programed with Catawba Co Viper and SHP - troop F distric 5 if anyone (local to the area )can help please reply or email chuck/N4aeq 465-0815 or chuckmfspd@yahoo.com in Catawba county. Thanks, hope someone can help, this is the referb 197 offered by RS online for $300 & did not offer the 50% off programin g cable or offer to pre program the scanner.

chuckinnc

Thanks but won't need it now

Won't need Catawba county programed in my new Pro 106 & 197, the county is dropping Viper and going back to vhf Monday the 14th. I really didn't need to spend a bundle on two more scanners for analog, So guess I should have waited a few weeks before making the jump to P25 capable scanners.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Won't need Catawba county programed in my new Pro 106 & 197, the county is dropping Viper and going back to vhf Monday the 14th. I really didn't need to spend a bundle on two more scanners for analog, So guess I should have waited a few weeks before making the jump to P25 capable scanners.

Don't quite think that is accurate there Chuck.
I have not received any info about Catawba County dropping VIPER.
Will have to research more into this claim....
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ok, Just talked with a reputable source and Catawba County IS going VIPER.

Some facts passed along:
--Catawba Sheriff: The sheriffs office switched over several weeks ago using portables only. My source heard that they are going back to VHF for a while till their mobiles were installed but that was last week and they're still on their TG. Their communications were significantly better when they went to VIPER...their VHF channel was so distorted that they sometimes couldn't be understood.

--Catawba Fire Depts:
The fire departments were issued their radios a month ago but hardly anyone is using them yet. The reasoning my source was told was that for most departments, there wasn't enough radios bought for each member to have one.

--Catawba EMS: Only one EMS Truck left that is VHF. Every other unit is using VIPER.
The rescue squads are using them extensively as is Conover PD.

As my source said "There is no going back now".

Just trying to help clear up any confusion.
Feel free to email/PM me if you have further questions but a digital scanner
will still be needed to monitor Catawba County Public Safety.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

chuckinnc

Hope that's the case

My next door neighbor and fellow ham is a full time deputy for the county, he was told they were switching back to VHF Monday. I hope it is only to fix a few minor problems, I sure would like to think I had not waisted my money I bought the 106 & 197.

Drafin

My next door neighbor and fellow ham is a full time deputy for the county, he was told they were switching back to VHF Monday. I hope it is only to fix a few minor problems, I sure would like to think I had not waisted my money I bought the 106 & 197.

Well even if they went back (which they are not permanently), you still have a top of the line scanner. Plus the fact that you could listen to the other agencies that have switched as well (Caldwell county agencies, NCSHP, ALE, other state agencies, local hospitals, and many others). Plus if they did switch back, you'd be ready for when they did actually make the jump. With this newer technology, ranges have changed for the better. Drop a wildcard in the TSYS and check out what's being broadcast on the towers in it other than what you are used to hearing. You may be amazed.

I'll have to give a listen to confirm it's still so, but this morning all the Catawba county agencies that were previously on VIPER were still on it as I traveled through about 0500 this morning.

Draf

rulowenough03

I was told by a local wildlife officer today that Catawba County was going back to VHF because of the lack of mobile 800 units. However, I did hear a LOT of activity today on 800 when 321 was shut down near the armory due to the overturned semi.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

Their temporary simulcast with VHF has nothing to do with "fixing a few problems".
It only has to do with not enough mobile radios to go around.
For the final time: Catawba County is staying with VIPER.
Any other info is inaccurate.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

For the final time: Catawba County is staying with VIPER.
Any other info is inaccurate.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Not to mention it would be FOOLISH to go back after they have acquired so many VIPER radios.

Spending money for absolutely no reason tends to make the people that sign the yearly budget a little cranky.

:)

Draf

Status
Not open for further replies.