NCSHP Trooper up for Nationwide award

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Trooper Thorpe is a heck of a good guy and let's help him win this award that he deserves. A little background:

State trooper nominated as 'America's Most Wanted' All-Star :: WRAL.com

mithfield, N.C. — A North Carolina state trooper noted for a talent for finding and helping people in trouble has been nominated for the "America's Most Wanted" All Star competition.Senior Trooper Jack L. Thorpe, who is assigned to Johnston County, is up for the annual award that lets viewers of the popular crime show pick a first responder to honor.

Some more info on Trooper Thorpe:

North Carolina State Highway Patrol Sr. Trooper Jack Thorpe has only been on the job for four years, but in that time he has repeatedly proven what an All-Star first responder he truly is.

Jack's service to his community began when he decided to leave a lucrative engineering career and pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a police officer. As his wife Sarah says, "Helping others has always been in his blood."

Just months after graduating from the Highway Patrol Training Academy in 2007, Jack performed life-saving CPR on a car accident victim.

His outstanding assistance was honored with Commendation and Samaritan awards, and his area Red Cross was given a $1000 donation to fund more CPR classes.

Later in 2008, Jack helped a pregnant woman deliver her baby right on the side of the highway.

It is Jack's most recent performance as a first responder that has brought the most recognition: On August 7, 2010, he saved three children from abuse as the father and stepmother drove across North Carolina. One of the children was able to send text messages relaying mile markers they passed, and when Jack pulled over the vehicle the stepmother admitted to punching one of the boys.
The situation turned worse when the county's department of social services could not take custody. Shocked, Jack phoned the children's birth mother to request temporary custody until she was able to arrive that night from out of state. Jack then brought the kids to his home where they played with his own three children, went fishing, and ate supper.

For his work in not only saving the siblings from harm, but also going above and beyond to ensure they were well cared for, Jack was presented the Governor's Award for Excellence. He was also given the Highway Patrol Meritorious Award and the Distinguished Service Award, which is the highest honor bestowed by North Carolina's Department of Crime Control and Public Safety. Jack humbly says that, "Helping people is a great feeling," and it is why he became a trooper. When not on duty, Jack volunteers with the North Carolina Canine Emergency Response Team, an organization that utilizes trained dogs and sonar equipment to locate missing persons and flood victims.

I don't usually ask for folks to vote in online contests or polls But Trooper Thorpe deserves us pulling for him and helping him by voting.

Please take a few seconds and vote for Trooper Thorpe:
AMW | All-Star 2011 Nominee | Jack Thorpe

Thank you!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Voting for the group of nominees that Trooper Thorpe is a part of ends TONIGHT ! ... contrary to the info on WRAL.

There are 2 ways to vote, but you can only vote once by each method each day.

So, if you want to support Trooper Thorpe, please vote by each method before midnight.

Link to the voting rules:

AMW | 2011 All-Star Official Rules | America's Most Wanted

Yep. WRAL did not have the correct info :(

Thanks for the clarification Jeff and please take a few seconds today
and vote for Trooper Thorpe!
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
Hey we need to vote. NC took this twice out of the last three years, 2008 and 2010 so keep voting.

jthorpe

Yes, please do keep voting. I've been told to have everyone keep voting even if I do make the finals. Don't ask me how it works but I'll do what they say to do. LOL - I'm not sure when we'll find out about who the first finalist is. Sometime today I guess?

KM4WLV

Yes, please do keep voting. I've been told to have everyone keep voting even if I do make the finals. Don't ask me how it works but I'll do what they say to do. LOL - I'm not sure when we'll find out about who the first finalist is. Sometime today I guess?

When I put my first vote in I didn't realize it was one of our own from here. Voting for ya everyday Thorpe !!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just a remiinder...you can still vote for Trooper Thorpe. :)

Since he is my "Twin brother from another mother" you gotta help him out here.

And yes, even though we are twins he got all the looks and intelligence in
this "radio geek family" :D

Thanks everyone!
Marshall KE4ZNR

jthorpe

Thanks for the support guys. I still haven't made the finals. With all the press coverage and still not making the finals I doubt I will at all but if you keep voting, you never know. You can't keep the press interested long enough so it's tough because the voting resets back to 0 every week. All the work done the week prior is null and void if you don't make a finalist position. Anyway, you guys have the link so if you feel so inclined, please vote :)

swilkos

Trooper Thorpe, I had the fortune of reading this with 4 hours left to vote and was able to place my vote for you. I had followed the coverage of this incident when it occurred, and your interdiction alone shows the type of law enforcement officer you are. But after dealing with child protective services, and then getting in touch with the children’s mother and taking the children home with you is simply an incredible testament to the person you are.

I hope you are recognized at the national level for your actions, but regardless of the outcome, you are a shining testament and find example of the public safety officials we have in the State of North Carolina. Let alone the lessons you gave your own children in compassion and how they should strive to be in their adult lives.

Thank you for your service to the State, and my hopes to your safety for the rest of your time serving the people of our State.

-Scott

jthorpe

Trooper Thorpe, I had the fortune of reading this with 4 hours left to vote and was able to place my vote for you. I had followed the coverage of this incident when it occurred, and your interdiction alone shows the type of law enforcement officer you are. But after dealing with child protective services, and then getting in touch with the children’s mother and taking the children home with you is simply an incredible testament to the person you are.

I hope you are recognized at the national level for your actions, but regardless of the outcome, you are a shining testament and find example of the public safety officials we have in the State of North Carolina. Let alone the lessons you gave your own children in compassion and how they should strive to be in their adult lives.

Thank you for your service to the State, and my hopes to your safety for the rest of your time serving the people of our State.

-Scott

Scott, thank you very much for that. It is very much appreciated. I don't care about the win. It's posts like this that make the job worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.