2012-2014 VIPER Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
This thread is for discussion of VIPER related info only.
Any off topic posts will be deleted.
Please Help by keeping posts on topic.
Thanks and Happy Monitoring!

Last edited:

KE4YOG

Okay question. I am new to the VIPER system as far as programming it into a scanner. What information do I need to enter into a Uniden Home patrol. Bought my mother one for Christmas and trying to figure it out. Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Okay question. I am new to the VIPER system as far as programming it into a scanner. What information do I need to enter into a Uniden Home patrol. Bought my mother one for Christmas and trying to figure it out. Thanks

Good news is that the VIPER system is already loaded into her HomePatrol. :)

The only question is where is she located? That will determine which VIPER Sites
she is in range of picking up. And remember: Outside of the Wake County Simulcast
VIPER operates in a Smartzone configuration. Which means that if she is located outside
of Wake County she may or may not receive certain VIPER talkgroups depending on who is affiliated to the site.
If you give me a city/town location I can setup a HomePatrol .hpe file that you can
import into the HomePatrol
for her to get her started :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4YOG

We live in Goldsboro but I am interested in Greene county. She wants to be able to pick up Greene county SO. I have used viper. We had them when I was with probation but I left not long after we got them.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
We live in Goldsboro but I am interested in Greene county. She wants to be able to pick up Greene county SO. I have used viper. We had them when I was with probation but I left not long after we got them.

Ok. If she is in reception distance of the Farmville Tower Site then she should be ok.

1) Read over the instructions on the following RR Wiki site on how to import hpe files
into Sentinel:
Importing and Exporting Sentinel .hpe Files - The RadioReference Wiki
2) Right click on the link below and select "save as" and save it to your computer:
http://qsl.net/k/ke4znr//hpe/Greene%20County.hpe
3) Use the steps in step 1 to import my Greene County hpe file into Sentinel and then update your Mom's HP to include the new custom favorites list.
4) Have your mom test out my hpe file for a few days. I included the Farmville site and all known VIPER Talkgroups plus the conventional Greene County radio system info from the database.
Let us know how it goes.
Marshall KE4ZNR

N8IAA

Jackson County

Marshall, or anyone, has Jackson county SO and FD migrated to the VIPER system? Are they still using their VHF/UHF frequencies? Just wanting to update my software programs. Hope everyone's holidays went well.
TIA,
Larry

trumpetman

Database Admin
They were on their conventional system when I was out there a few weeks ago. Didn't see any new affiliations on Trunk88 while I was running it either. I don't anticipate anyone using VIPER for more than interop anytime soon with only 4 sites west of Asheville.

randyK

Anyone have any ideas on TGs 5088, 5184, or 60288? I have had several hits off of the Shepard site in Randolph Co. Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any ideas on TGs 5088, 5184, or 60288? I have had several hits off of the Shepard site in Randolph Co. Thanks

Hey Randy. I can verify that 60288 is Beech Mountain PD Car to Car.
I added it with other Watauga County Talkgroups to the database.
The others I will have to research and get back to ya.
Or if someone else comes through with accurate Ident that would be good too :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
Beech Mountain should probably be listed with Avery County as that's where their conventional stuff is listed. (The Town of Beech Mountain does straddle the Avery/Watauga line)

Edit: I just noticed that there are NO Avery County Viper talk groups. If they don't lock their radios to one site they'll be affiliating with half the sites in the state!

Last edited:

N8IAA

They were on their conventional system when I was out there a few weeks ago. Didn't see any new affiliations on Trunk88 while I was running it either. I don't anticipate anyone using VIPER for more than interop anytime soon with only 4 sites west of Asheville.

Thanks,Chris.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ke4znr can you sat me one up for a bcd996t. I'm not at this viper thank

Hey Fred55. When you say "set you one up" are you speaking of a software file?
If so which software program are you using? Freescan, ARC996, ProScan?
Since it appears that you are located in Lincoln County you can always
download my Starter Freescan file and replace the site frequencies in each site with
the Control Channels of 868.975 & 868.1875 from the Anderson Mtn site.
If you are not able to do the above I will try to put a dedicated Freescan file together by the end of the weekend but it might be awhile before I can have it ready.
Marshall KE4ZNR

randyK

Hey Randy. I can verify that 60288 is Beech Mountain PD Car to Car.
I added it with other Watauga County Talkgroups to the database.
The others I will have to research and get back to ya.
Or if someone else comes through with accurate Ident that would be good too :)
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks for the info & database update Marshall, as far as TGs # 5088 & 5184, the radios that are affiliating with them I have listed as SHP radios, if that helps, thanks.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info & database update Marshall, as far as TGs # 5088 & 5184, the radios that are affiliating with them I have listed as SHP radios, if that helps, thanks.

After doing some research I have IDed them as the following:

5088 - NC L&T District 5
5184 - NC L&T Common 1

Added them to the database.
Marshall KE4ZNR

mhodgson

Va

All of the NC VA Hospital locations do have VIPER with APX7000 7/800 - UHF radios......Fayetteville included....

M

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm useing arc996 thanks

Well now we have a little bit of a problem.
I don't use ARC996.
You are more than welcome to download Freescan and download my starter
files I linked to earlier. Just change the tower sites to your local VIPER tower
and you will be good to go.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.