Randolph County SO moved ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend in Randolph County told me he no longer hears Randolph SO on it's usual UHF freqs......has it finally moved to Viper Digital ???? he said EMS is still active on it's VHF legacy freqs.....just wondering where SO moved to and if Digital......

i'm at the coast so can't investigate or verify where/if they moved to myself.....thanks in advance....

Barefootdipole

trumpetman

Database Admin
Last time I was up that way they were using VIPER heavily and I only heard traffic linked to their primary UHF channel. That was about 2 months ago, I'll see if I can find anything out tonight.

randyK

Randolph SD & town PDs are on Viper now, and the TGs are digital. The UHF patches are gone. The database is accurate. Ems is on Viper also, just paged out over the fire channel. Don't know when Fire is going that route, but I'm sure they are. Asheboro PD is about all that's still on UHF.

trumpetman

Database Admin
"As of today (Sept 10, 2012) at noon Randolph County Fire Departments and EMS units are both dispatched on the main fire dispatch channel 154.415 (receive pl 151.4) and all radio traffic for EMS is now on NC VIPER talkgroup 42032 (a43) and all fire traffic is on talkgroup 42016 (a42). Fire talk on 42016 is also being patched to the conventional fire channel 3 155.895 for all users not currently on VIPER."

This tidbit of info came in yesterday, should explain changes on the EMS/fire side of the house. Not too sure what's going on on the law side....yet. Standby to standby.

randyK

As far as law enforcement, Asheboro PD is still on 453.5250 & 453.4250, everything else has gone to viper.

randyK

Sorry, I forgot, Randleman PD is still using 453.6250 as a talkaround channel. I haven't heard anything out of 453.9250.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Looks like Randolph County will be making a full time switch to VIPER. Not too sure if they'll maintain the patches to main conventional channels, but an anonomyous source has indicated all EMS & Sheriff's Office units are on VIPER and most fire units are as well, should be another 2 weeks before fire is moved over completely.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Pagers will remain... there's no simple way to page volunteers of such magnitude over a trunked system.

Not without setting up a massive call alert / paging function and issuing every FF a portable radio, which I don't forsee happening anytime ever.

Flyham

Fire and EMS will be paged over VHF on a narrowbanded Fire Channel 1. As others have stated VHF Fire 1 and 3 are patched to VIPER Fire TG and yes, most should be switching over soon. Once complete all agencies, less Asheboro PD, will be on VIPER.
Side note, dispatchers for the past 2 weeks or so have been assigning "TAC channels" during the initial fire page out.

Stay tuned!

cth16

Help?

Need some advice and help from you Randolph County experts. The above posts indicate I must upgrade my scanner in order to listen to local agencies.

Will the Uniden BCD996XT receive all departments described here? Including APD if they stay analog for the near future?

Where do I find the necessary frequencies and programming information associated with VIPER for Randolph County? Assume a novice such as myself can program this scanner much the same as the older model Bearcat products?

Thanks for any and all advice.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Need some advice and help from you Randolph County experts. The above posts indicate I must upgrade my scanner in order to listen to local agencies.

Will the Uniden BCD996XT receive all departments described here? Including APD if they stay analog for the near future?

Where do I find the necessary frequencies and programming information associated with VIPER for Randolph County? Assume a novice such as myself can program this scanner much the same as the older model Bearcat products?

Welcome to RR.com!
The BCD996XT should be fine.
And we have everything you need here at RR.com in the Wiki to get yourself up and running:
Easier to read 996XT Manual:Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual.
Freescan to program the 996XT: FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software
VIPER system on which Randolph County operates: Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders (VIPER) Trunking System, Various, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies
And of course: us radio geek veterans that will help you answer questions along
the way!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
At the moment (as its been mentioned already) Fire is paged out on VHF 154.415, the same freq it has always been. The former fire channel 3 153.740 I think off the top of my head, which is commonly alpha tagged as 'DIRECT' is being used as the communication channel which is patched to VIPER talkgroup 42016. I hope that's not terribly confusing, but if so here's a breakdown... call comes in, its dispatched over talkgroup 42016, CH 3 (153.740), and paging (154.415), all call info is given out over both frequencies and tg42016 however, the tones for paging are only heard over 154.415. From there the fire department will use 42016 (or channel 3) for communicating with dispatch. However, for the users who do not have viper radios or a radio that receives CH 3 dispatch is echoing the traffic on 154.415. So when a unit is checking in route on 42016 the dispatcher will acknowledge it by saying "unit XX copy you in route" or "unit xx copy you on scene", or whatever the case may be. That way even the users that only have pagers will still have an idea of whats going on. Another side note. EMS is also paged on 154.415 but they have a separate TG for call traffic (42032). Fire is assigned a TAC for each call, usually on dispatch. It will be either Alpha 1-4, Bravo 1-4, or Charly 1-4. As of now I'm almost certain Sheriff's office is completely on VIPER tg 42000, and the municipal police departments can be heard on 19136. I can't speak for all the municipal departments but I have seen Ramseur carrying Motorola XTS series radios. Forgive me if that's wrong, I only got a glance. Randleman PD cars have 800MHz antennas on them so I assume they are migrating as well. I heard it will be a little longer before Asheboro PD transitions, although, I have heard some talk on the Asheboro PD admin Tg 56592 (before it was being used as fire Charly TAC 2) but it mostly sounded like they were testing the radios, nothing official. Also... not to drag this on, but it appears some of the talkgroups in the database are being used for other things. I can confirm that 56576 (ASHEBORO PD DISPATCH) is Fire Charly TAC 1, 56592 (ASHE PD ADMN) is Charly TAC 2, 19232 (nc zoo rangers) is Charly TAC 3, and 19264 (randolph training) is Charly TAC 4. I've also attached a screenshot of some info on the direct channels. Hope someone finds this useful and that I wasn't too confusing in my explanation.

Attachments

• RAND DIRECT.jpg
    RAND DIRECT.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 367

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber

Welcome CTH16, if you need any help getting set up PM me, I'm right down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.