147.800 mhz Non Ham Comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantar22

I had heard they are starting to buy ham rigs instead of marine band radios because they put out more power. Another thing I have heard is they are starting to buy IC-706 and FT-100 type radios as well for hunting operations on HF etc...

KF4NVX

Transylvania County

I am monitoring the freq for the next few days. I live on the other side of the county but am on the side of the mountain so I might hear it.

KM4WLV

I've heard some intermittent spatter on a couple 2 meter freq's around Rowan County, though I can't say where it's coming from, or if in fact it's coming from here. What I've heard though is hunting traffic, but so brief and broken most of the time it's really hard to follow the conversation(s). They're on portables because I can only hear them when I'm mobile, and sometimes rarely at the house on one of my base scanners.

kb4mdz

It's an easy thing to do if you get a 2M. radio & don't understand the bandplan; back when I worked at a 2-way shop in seacoast NH a couple other guys in the shop had Icom 02AT's; they'd talk on 147.9xxx & 147.8xxx region, simplex between their apartments. Until the licensed ham, me, explained how repeater splits worked in the 2M. band. They were probably hitting the input of some repeater somewhere & never knew it.

Ooops!! Redfaces!

They stopped, and one of them went on to get his ham ticket.

:-D

reconrider8

146.8050 Ct: 118.8 anyone know what repeater this is? im thinking Fayetteville but theres no ct on it to cross reference with in the db

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

reconrider8 said:
its not in the db then or even in the fcc for it but thanks bud

Amateur repeaters are not licensed for a frequency from the FCC, the station license IS issued by the FCC, but the actual pair is usually coordinated by a local orginization of amateur ops. IF the repeater is actually coodinated.

reconrider8

o ok i didnt think they were but i had to try and run the freq at least to see what i found and thanks marshall i didnt know where i was picking it up from lol

reconrider8

hehehe BIG BUCK CROSSING THE ROAD and you hear it in Raleigh somewhere and be like wheres the deer when your with another club in the mountains somewhere lol

rescuecomm

The dealer who sold those guys the radios are the real culprit in this. They were keying a local repeater on 147.195 until a PL was turned on. Jam them and we jam ourselves. The good thing is that the comms will stop in a couple of weeks. Apparently, they obey game laws, but not communications laws.

Bob

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The dealer who sold those guys the radios are the real culprit in this.

I understand your concern, Bob, but a radio dealer is not required to educate the buyer, or confirm that he / she is licensed for the frequencies / band the buyer intends to use the radios for.

The dealer would have a liability if he / she programmed the radios to transmit on frequencies the user is not licensed for, or frequencies the radios are not type-accepted for.

The reality is that some of the current low-cost ham radios available online and at hamfests are very easy to program well beyond the range of the 2-meter and 70-cm bands ... and still perform pretty well. And no one requires a purchaser to show their license to buy one.

I own a couple of TYT handhelds, and both surpassed my expectations, even though I only paid $110 for the 2R new, and $55 for the 3R new. It surprises me that volunteer fire and medical personnel haven't embraced these - and similar other manufacturers' - ham radios for use outside the type-acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.