New Purchase.Need input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been out of scanning for a while now due to various reasons and I want to get back into it. I have been checking out a few mobile and handheld versions of different models,but I think I am leaning towards a handheld due to the fact I would probably never use the mobile in the car,but I would the handheld.

I also hear that Whistler and Uniden will be announcing new radios,so I am also wondering if I should wait to see what they have to offer. I am looking at these scanners as of now......

Radio Shack Pro-106
Uniden BCD396XT (like the size)

Radio Shack PRO-197
Uniden BCD996XT

I'm in Western NC,but I travel from Western NC to Eastern NC (OBX,etc) during the summer.
I hear that NC is working on a new digital system. Let me know what you guys/gals think. Look into getting something now or wait and see what comes out down the road?
I'm in no hurry,so waiting isn't a problem.

n5ims

I've been out of scanning for a while now due to various reasons and I want to get back into it. I have been checking out a few mobile and handheld versions of different models,but I think I am leaning towards a handheld due to the fact I would probably never use the mobile in the car,but I would the handheld.

I also hear that Whistler and Uniden will be announcing new radios,so I am also wondering if I should wait to see what they have to offer. I am looking at these scanners as of now......

Radio Shack Pro-106
Uniden BCD396XT (like the size)

Radio Shack PRO-197
Uniden BCD996XT

I'm in Western NC,but I travel from Western NC to Eastern NC (OBX,etc) during the summer.
I hear that NC is working on a new digital system. Let me know what you guys/gals think. Look into getting something now or wait and see what comes out down the road?
I'm in no hurry,so waiting isn't a problem.

If it were me, I'd wait. Many new systems are P-25 Phase II (although they often start out only using Phase I talkgroups) and only the PSR-800 from GRE (and hopefully Whistler when they start shipping scanners) will work on that kind of a system. It is widely speculated that when the new scanners are announced, this is one feature that will be added. I'd hate to spend my $500 on a current technology scanner only to find out half-a-year later that my new radio will need to be replaced so I can pick up the new system.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. Phase II will be the state of the art very soon. Save for the PSR800. If you need one in the mean-time, I recommend the Pro-106. Maybe a used one from eBay will hold you over!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
For the record the P25 upgrades being done to VIPER will bump it
up to P25 Phase 1 FDMA. P25 Phase 2 TDMA is not being considered at this time.

As long as you have a scanner that can pick up P25 Phase 1 FDMA you should
be good for most monitorable radio systems. Heck, the only P25 Phase 2 TDMA system I know of in the entire state is the Pitt County system. Everyone else is migrating to (or on) P25 Phase 1 FDMA. :)

I would at least wait until Unidens announcement on November 16th to see what they
may be coming out with at the first of the year. If you can hold off that long that is. :D

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

For the record the P25 upgrades being done to VIPER will bump it
up to P25 Phase 1 FDMA. P25 Phase 2 TDMA is not being considered at this time.

As long as you have a scanner that can pick up P25 Phase 1 FDMA you should
be good for most monitorable radio systems. Heck, the only P25 Phase 2 TDMA system I know of in the entire state is the Pitt County system. Everyone else is migrating to (or on) P25 Phase 1 FDMA. :)

I would at least wait until Unidens announcement on November 16th to see what they
may be coming out with at the first of the year. If you can hold off that long that is. :D

Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

I think I can hold on long enough to see what Uniden comes out with.:D I'll look into the Pro-106 and pick one up in the mean time if I find a good deal.

REVREID

new scanner

could i reccomend the home patrol 1? i purchased one on amazon for around 200.00 less than the advertised cost. i had not upgraded for maybe 20 years,and i love it. i get viper,and all else,all from putting in my zip code. and if you go from west to east-just put in your new zip code. its easy to update,too. hope this helps.

could i reccomend the home patrol 1? i purchased one on amazon for around 200.00 less than the advertised cost. i had not upgraded for maybe 20 years,and i love it. i get viper,and all else,all from putting in my zip code. and if you go from west to east-just put in your new zip code. its easy to update,too. hope this helps.

Sure! I appreciate all recommendations.
I've not really heard of the Patrol 1,but I'll check it out.

REVREID

thanks-i forgot to tell you that it is put out by uniden. they have their own web page for it,as well as a community of owners page,who have been very helppul.

Drafin

I know my information is a bit dated but I'd direct you to the post I made a while back and Marshall stickied here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/no...n-forum/260715-scanner-buy-monitoring-nc.html

I may need to update and re write that thing a bit when Whistler and Uniden actually make their new products available and there is some good hard evidence on the performance.

I will add that my PSR-500 performs very well here in the western NC foothills. To be fair and honest I have never actually laid my hands on a Home Patrol or a 396 so I have no actual personal knowledge of the units, but do know from what I read here on the boards, that they also perform wonderfully with Viper.

I agree with the others who have posted here that , if you can, wait for the new products to be released. At the very least you will more than likely catch the older models at a cheaper price when the new models come out.

Draf

KM4WLV

I use both a Uniden 396XT and Home Patrol to monitor VIPER on a daily basis and they are both great units. I had a Pro-106 from Radio Shack but the performance, IMO, was lacking when it came to digital.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 396 or HP-1.

Thanks for all the input,it's appreciated.
I have decided to wait and see what Whistler and Uniden have to offer and go from there. Like it was mentioned,when the new stuff hits,I can pick up a older scanner cheaper if i wanted to.

KM4WLV

Thanks for all the input,it's appreciated.
I have decided to wait and see what Whistler and Uniden have to offer and go from there. Like it was mentioned,when the new stuff hits,I can pick up a older scanner cheaper if i wanted to.

That's not always a bad idea. Of course when you get ready to make your purchase don't forget about us if we can help. We've got members virtually all over North Carolina that have multitudes of scanners and I feel certain any one of us, myself included, would be happy to meet up with you in person and let you get some good hands on time with the different units.

Also, welcome to the NC forum. I know you've been a member since 2005 but haven't posted much. As I'm sure you've seen we've got a lot of people willing to help in our little "circle" on RR. Have a great weekend bud !!

That's not always a bad idea. Of course when you get ready to make your purchase don't forget about us if we can help. We've got members virtually all over North Carolina that have multitudes of scanners and I feel certain any one of us, myself included, would be happy to meet up with you in person and let you get some good hands on time with the different units.

Also, welcome to the NC forum. I know you've been a member since 2005 but haven't posted much. As I'm sure you've seen we've got a lot of people willing to help in our little "circle" on RR. Have a great weekend bud !!

Thanks Daniel. I had just registered as a member and things come up and I just got out of Scanning at that time.Without going into detail,there was just more important things to attend to. Those things have been taken care of and I'm getting back into it.

Getting some hands on with different radios would be cool. May have to try and do that some time. You're not really that far from me.

I'm here to stay this time.:D

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,
I know someone who has the Home Patrol 1 for
sale. It was an impulse buy and now they need money.
They want $100,should I jump on it or not?

As always: Cavet Emptor!
I would make sure the Unit operates and all features work.
Also make sure accessories are included (AC Wall Charger, Display Stand,
Rubber Duck antenna, DC Power cables, USB Cable, etc).
But if everything is included and it works then yes that is a heck of a
deal for a normally $400 radio.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Would be interesting to see if this HP has the "Extreme Upgrade".
If so this is a heck of a deal indeed!
Oh and just a heads up, if you do decide to pick it up be aware
you will want to download Sentinel and get used to using it.
Using Sentinel is the primary way of organizing Favorites Lists
and configuring the HP-1 for your local needs.
I know the HP-1 better than most folks out there so let me know
if you have further questions.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Got the HP-1 and it had everything except the stand. No big deal though,I can get one for $10. Not gotten to play around with it alot yet though. Will do that later tonight.

I did use Sentinel to check for an update and it said the current version was the latest.

@KE4ZNR, I may get you to help me getting things up and going if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.