Wayne County Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiostrobe

For the folks that have followed the issues with the approximately $12 million Harris P25 system in Wayne County for the last few years, you know that the standard response to the multiple problems that have been encountered has been "we are working on it". (No performance bond) So now the county has been convinced to throw around 3 more million at it and see what happens. Supposedly two more towers in the county and some upgraded software will work miracles.
The problem is that even in areas with good coverage, radios work sometimes and sometimes they don't. There is no rhyme or reason to it at all. So the coverage may improve in the area of the new towers but that won't fix the problem of it working 5 minutes ago, but now it won't in the exact same spot. It's the luck of the draw and this is outside of buildings, as they have made sure to point out that the radios can't be expected to work inside buildings, so it's a good thing that firefighters, EMS and law enforcement never have to go inside buildings in their normal day to day duties. We all know that no radio system is perfect or going to give perfect coverage but they promised 95% coverage 95% of the time when they built this thing.
Hopefully no other counties will be guinea pigs when it comes to a radio system like this county has been. They have added frequencies, changed frequencies, blamed interference, blamed the people using the radios, excuse after excuse and still nothing is fixed. The county cries about not having money for anything, but can miraculously find 3 more million dollars for something that most logical people would have filed a lawsuit for and told them to pack the junk up and take it to the dump and give us our money back. The taxpayers deserve much better.
I know this is not directly related to monitoring the system, but I know people have been curious about this system and there hasn't been much talk about it recently so this is the newest information coming out now.

hcit

We have the exact same issues here in Franklin County. Guess what system we have....

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Governments will never learn.

You get what you pay for I guess.

I am partial to Motorola, I guess that is because I have always used their systems and radios and had good results from them.

My only question is were did the 152.240 Mhz dispatch frequency come from?

There isn't even a licesned in North Carolina for that particular frequency.

Seems like 154.130 Mhz would be working fine, since the only other agency that dispatches on it is Durham County.

I was down that way about a year or so ago and had trouble monitoring the system. I finally programmed my XTS-2500 for county fire and Ems and then I was able to hear atleast a little bit of traffic.

Just curious

David

Last edited:

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
the 152 freq is used becase it does not have to go narrow band.
useing that they could still use the old monitors and pagers .

in the next year or so you may hear more go to the "pageing channels" ie: 150., 152, 158, etc.

spencer2223

hey i was seeing what channels were all police and fire were on and what type radios i know p25 so i wasnt if the were all i saw cherry police and little small town were p25 but im close by i wanna buy digital radio

ts548

hey i was seeing what channels were all police and fire were on and what type radios i know p25 so i wasnt if the were all i saw cherry police and little small town were p25 but im close by i wanna buy digital radio

Stick to digital scanner. You don't need a digital radio.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
If there was a lic for the 152 MHz, it has expired years ago. They must be using it as an itinerant business from back in the (color) dot stuff? Or have an STA that is no longer an STA lol? And ANY of the VHF High band could have gotten an waiver for the narrowbanding requirements when used for paging.... (Way too many examples to name nationwide on this one.) So the question repeated is not why they are using it, but again, where the permission for its usage comes from, such as an Special Temporary Authority grant, Special Waiver, or an actual FCC License? There are at least 2 to 3 VFD's that have licenses in the VHF High Business Pool in Wayne County, so it is a valid query as to why the County does not?

Last edited by a moderator:

spencer2223

are all public sfatey digital i saw on site goldsboro small towns sherffic and cherry hospital and other police are on harris p25 vhf band so i was double checking happy scanning

If there was a lic for the 152 MHz, it has expired years ago. They must be using it as an itinerant business from back in the (color) dot stuff? Or have an STA that is no longer an STA lol? And ANY of the VHF High band could have gotten an waiver for the narrowbanding requirements when used for paging.... (Way too many examples to name nationwide on this one.) So the question repeated is not why they are using it, but again, where the permission for its usage comes from, such as an Special Temporary Authority grant, Special Waiver, or an actual FCC License? There are at least 2 to 3 VFD's that have licenses in the VHF High Business Pool in Wayne County, so it is a valid query as to why the County does not?

Look up callsigns WPVI557 WPVI559 WPVI560 WPZG703 WPZG704 WQMW901 WQMW902 and WQPI920. The licensing for paging systems is licensed by market and frequency range, not specific frequencies. They have some pending applications on the last 4 callsigns, so it looks like they are wanting to change something.

Hope this helps...

Jeff
Jacksonville NC

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
i have to admit this one of the worst sounding radio systemsn i have ever tired to monitor.
the audio is in a word "crapie"

i remember saying years ago when they were planning this system that it would not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.