salisbury p 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

REVREID

i downloaded the latest data base onto my hp 1 today.noticed that salisbury p 25 showed up in the scan. havent heard anything,yet-only on the other 800 band for salisbury/rowan. just wandering if this was in service yet,or,if not,when it would be in use. thanks

trumpetman

Database Admin
Not much to hear yet besides testing. Go live is set for Monday. Coverage is significantly improved now that there are 2 sites simulcasting.

KM4WLV

Rowan County / City of Salisbury P25 - GOES LIVE TODAY

Heads up for all our "ears" that monitor Salisbury & Rowan County. Listening to announcements for Salisbury FD this morning and they will make the official roll over and checks at 1300 (1 p.m.) this afternoon to the new P-25 system. They will officially move completely off the analog system.

Other agencies will be following in rapid succession. It was a good 25 year run for the analog system but unfortunately it's time to move on..........

Last edited:

KM4WLV

UPDATE:

Just heard on EMS (Rowan) morning announcements that Rowan EMS, Emergency Services, and Rescue Squad will be rolling over to the P-25 system at 1400 (2 p.m.).

Rowan Communications will make the announcement on the analog system advising units to switch at points throughout the day to the P-25 system. Not heard a time yet for Rowan (County) Fire. Just monitor the old system if you can to see if you can catch a rollover time for them as well.

KM4WLV

Salisbury PD dispatch will officially move to the new Rowan County 911 center at 1000 hours this morning.

Rowan County took over and has been responsible for the dispatch of Salisbury PD for several months now but hasn't been able to move to Rowan's new comm center because of equipment and connectivity issues that were/are needed to be connected back to Salisbury PD itself.

The announcement was made a short time ago over PD Disp that they would be officially moved as of 1000 hrs. They should be rolling over to the new P-25 system as well today but a time hasn't been announced for that yet.

KM4WLV

The change over to the new system is in progress now. Salisbury PD just made the change over and testing sounded good. I'm listening to them as we speak on my 396XT.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand why the switch to P25 phase 2 Digital?

Rowan/Salisbury has one of the best 800 Mhz. trunking systems in the area.

It has good clarity and readable.

I figured they would jump on the Charlotte P25 system like Cabarrus did before they would have spent the

money on their own system.

Then again I guess Rowan is trying to be first or second again.

I remember when Rowan and High Point were the first in the area to go 800 Mhz.

I guess the older systems are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Oh well I late to see the old systems fade away.

I enjoyed listening to it from time to time.

David

KM4WLV

I don't understand why the switch to P25 phase 2 Digital?

Rowan/Salisbury has one of the best 800 Mhz. trunking systems in the area.

It has good clarity and readable.

I figured they would jump on the Charlotte P25 system like Cabarrus did before they would have spent the

money on their own system.

Then again I guess Rowan is trying to be first or second again.

I remember when Rowan and High Point were the first in the area to go 800 Mhz.

I guess the older systems are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Oh well I late to see the old systems fade away.

I enjoyed listening to it from time to time.

David

The biggest reason Salisbury didn't get on with the regional system is because of how much control they would lose with doing that, plus they still give options to folks up here to have personal radios on the system which would have been lost moving onto the Charlotte system. Also the potential turn around time for getting new radio ID's that may need to be added to the system and such. Simple answer is they just didn't want to lose that control.

Also I'll go back and check my PM's but I hadn't seen anything come through. It may be later before I answer as I'm getting ready to head out to the dentist shortly.

One last note on the thing of Phase 2. The system will be Phase 2 eventually, they're still a number of radio on the the system that have to be replaced, plus some other things to be added that haven't been purchased. So for right now everyone with a 396/996 or comparable will still be able to listen to everything. No need to go buy a new unit just yet. That's what has been passed to me.

KM4WLV

just heard my first transmissions on p 25 sounds great-much better than analog

Rev, you are correct. This new system sounds great. They just need to get everyone rolled on over. I'm carrying my 346XT and 396XT so I can monitor everything, rather than trying to use one jumping back and forth and missing something. Salisbury PD has rolled over full time, they're testing on Salisbury FD right now trying to get a few things just right, EMS/Rescue will follow, along with county LAW and FIRE. They're also doing testing on a bunch of other TG's right now as well. Once I get slowed down I'll try to ID some, but I'm leaving in the morning for Florida for a week so I'll have to leave it with you guys to figure out for a couple days, LOL

CFP387

Daniel is exactly right on the above statement. The telecommunications director told me face to face in one simple sentence that Rowan would "never connect to the Charlotte/Mecklenburg system because they would take all control away from us...".

I agree in the decisions he and his committee have made to leave control of the system in the hands of those who oversaw the purchase of same. By doing this, they have programming, maintenance and operational technicians all under the same roof. The turnaround time to add a radio is limited to just one day. I feel sure that Cabarrus, Gaston and Union counties will one day regret the choice they made to be a part of the Char/Meck system.

KM4WLV

Daniel is exactly right on the above statement. The telecommunications director told me face to face in one simple sentence that Rowan would "never connect to the Charlotte/Mecklenburg system because they would take all control away from us...".

I agree in the decisions he and his committee have made to leave control of the system in the hands of those who oversaw the purchase of same. By doing this, they have programming, maintenance and operational technicians all under the same roof. The turnaround time to add a radio is limited to just one day. I feel sure that Cabarrus, Gaston and Union counties will one day regret the choice they made to be a part of the Char/Meck system.

To add to what Shannon said, the gentleman that is the City System Manager/Radio Shop Manager has been involved with the system since the initial design in 1987-88, he "birthed" the system into service in 1989, has been involved with every expansion and addition since. And he was integral in the design, installation, and launch of our new P-25 system that is coming online today. If our system burps or farts the wrong way I guarantee you that he knows exactly what it is and how to fix it. Along with him, one of the two main guys from Motorola that have helped install and get this P-25 system up and running used to work here in Salisbury for Triangle and Mobex Communications when they held the city & county radio system contracts. Matter of fact he was also part of birthing the original analog system in 1989. We couldn't ask for anyone better to be hands on with the implementation of our new system.

Along with Rob Robinson who is the current Communications/911 Manager helping with the switch over, Frank Thomason, who is the current Rowan County Emergency Services Director is helping with the switch. Chief Thomason was the first Communications/911 director for Rowan County in 1994 when all the county FD's, EMS/Rescue, Sheriff's Office and smaller municiple LEOS moved over to the 800 system, and we saw the birth of the Rowan County Department of Telecommunications (911). Up until then 911 only dispatched County and City Fire, EMS and Rescue. The Sheriff's Office was still dispatched in house, and Salisbury PD was also in house. Chief Thomason has been an integral part of our system growth and upgrade as well. As some know when the Rowan County Telecomm Dept was born it's first home was on the second floor of the Rowan County Justice Center / Court House / Sheriff's Office, in downtown Salisbury. It was expanded until there wasn't any room left. They moved fall of last year to the new consolidated Rowan 911 center on Corporate Circle next door to the headquarters for Rowan County Emergency Services. For the extra testing and stuff they're doing right this minute on City Fire Dispatch to get things just right, we couldn't have a better group of individuals getting things set up and in motion.

*** Later this evening I'll post some pictures I have of the old comm center when it was first opened, up until it closed and was moved last year ***

Last edited:

KM4WLV

One other thing I forgot to add that was passed down...........

The fleet maps in the radios are for the most part identical to the old analog ones. Meaning there will still be the same amount of talkgroups, and all the alpha tags for those talk groups will remain the same. Also the way OPS talk groups are assigned for county and city fire will remain the same.

Some things that may change are some protocol changes on city fire dispatch and traffic.

*** As of 1650 they are starting final testing on FD DISP (Salisbury City Fire Disp) for SFD to rollover. Also, they are starting testing on LAW (Rowan Sheriff's Office and smaller municipal LEO's) so they can rollover them as well ***

Last edited:

KM4WLV

Everyone on LAW on the analog system has been advised to change to LAW DISP 1 on P-25 for roll call and testing on mobiles and portables.

If successful they will be moved completely.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Now I Understand.

I like there thinking of having control of their own system.

Ever since Cabarrus signed the agreement to join the regional system it has been nothing a mess.

I lost 7 personal radios from the old Cabarrus System.

It sucks not being able to have a radio to listen to everything going on.

And the only way to get a radio on the new system is you must belong to a department and the

department must own the radio. No personally owned radios on this system.

It all goes back to the big issue the control factor (Big Brother trying to throw his weight and authority

around).

Concord's past system administrator has just retired on medical disability and there went my inside source

and information as to what is going on for the regional system.

They have promoted a former telecommunications center supervisor to be the new communications

center director.

I think her roll will be basically control over the communications center and radio installation shop.

I doubt if she will have any control over programming radios and other stuff like the past director did.

I think the sole dealing with programming issues is being handled with the Sheriff's Department Communications Lieutenant and his Staff.

It is like I said before. The City and Counties that surround Charlotte & Mecklenburg, can't do a thing

without trying to copy and duplicate what Charlotte/Mecklenburg does.

It is all about trying to not be out done by the other.

Thanks again for clearing up some of my questions.

David

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.