Mobile Tower at Cabarrus Co Arena and Events Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

Right up against hwy 49 is some sort of mobile tower setup that has been there for at least a week now. has guy wires and everything. i think a microwave dish pointing east roughly? not real familiar with that sort of setup and haven't had a chance to pull in and check it out yet. no obvious decals or markings i can read as i cruise by.

anyone?

spacellamaman

Re-reading my post, I could have been a little clearer, I was wondering if anyone knows, who, what, why etc about about the setup. Just kinda odd looking. I noticed that a lot of County Fair looking stuff being staged in the same area of the field yesterday but the tower/trailer/work truck been there for some time. when i say mobile maybe temporary is more like it cause it has a bunch accouterments around it and prob took a while getting set up. if it has something to do with the fair that would be real interesting to know why such long lead time. feel free to enlighten me, it won't take much. :)

KM4WLV

Re-reading my post, I could have been a little clearer, I was wondering if anyone knows, who, what, why etc about about the setup. Just kinda odd looking. I noticed that a lot of County Fair looking stuff being staged in the same area of the field yesterday but the tower/trailer/work truck been there for some time. when i say mobile maybe temporary is more like it cause it has a bunch accouterments around it and prob took a while getting set up. if it has something to do with the fair that would be real interesting to know why such long lead time. feel free to enlighten me, it won't take much. :)

I pass by there everyday (I live in Rowan but work between Rowan & Cabarrus). What you're seeing I'm pretty sure is a COW (Cellsite on wheels). The microwave is for backhaul to a tower site. You should see a few more antennas in the coming days. They're setting it up in preparation for the Cabarrus County fair. Every year down there it seems the networks get overwhelmed to the point of not being able to process calls, and data becomes all but useless. Hope this helps!! :D

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Also they might be testing the coverage area.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago the county signed an agreement for a cell tower to be built on the Arena & Events Center property.

Hope this helps

David

Soundman

Thy did the same thing at the golfing event in Charlotte this summer . It this new thing thy are doing . It helps with cell service . It a great idea .

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Probably so.

The county fair is about roll into the area.

So that maybe a reason for them being there

David

spacellamaman

Thanks to all who responded. the COW sounds like what i am seeing. guess i had never seen, or at least noticed, a mobile site like that before. totally makes sense considering the heavy load that the fair will bring upon the local cell towers. really kinda crazy to think we have come to a point where ANY mass gathering of people risks overloading the basic infrastructure. Thanks again.

spacellamaman

"The Regurgitation will NOT be Televised! It'll be Live-Streamed Babay!"

well since I went to the trouble to ask and was pleased that ya'll took the time to explain, i'll push it further...

any reports on cell phone/data speed service levels while at the fair?

Simple good, bad, no difference noted,seemed fine,normal,et al.reports are all I'm interested in.

i won't be going most likely, nor do i have a smart phone to do any checking myself on data flow etc anyway.

i'm just curious if the COW is up to the Modern thirst for data usage; so all fair goers can simultaneously Live-Stream their buddy puking on them on the Scrambler while mom is posting to Instagram pics of dad grasping on to the Ferris Wheel seat like Grim Death...

We may not have flying cars....

Status
Not open for further replies.