NC Highway Patrol Identifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpp3799

Premium Subscriber
Hello, name is Frank

I am trying to find out if the NCHP us any type of special identifiers when they transmit on their frequencies. For example, in NJ the State police identify their units with the Troopers badge numbers. Since they do not re-use badge numbers, it works out well when they change rank or position. Another example would be how NJ counties do it. Each town within the county is given an identifier. The identifier is followed by the car number (Bordentown is 60, therefore the units would be 60-01, 60-02, ......... Or does the HP merely use the unit number on the license plate? This is for a book that I am writing and I am trying to be as accurate as possible. Thanks for any help you can provide.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
If I'm correct, it's troop letter, (A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H) followed by a number, so C-23 or A-18. Not sire about the number though.

nsrailfan6130

NC DPS

I'm not from NC, but, I'll ask anyway......So if I am reading this right, Would I be correct in saying something like Unit D31 would be a Rockingham County Patrol unit? Something to that effect?

CCHLLM

In Troop D, it would be D3XX. They're the Troop designator followed by 3 digits, the first of which signifies the District. The Troop D District 3 1st Sgt would be D311, followed by sergeants D322, D323, etc, and troopers would begin with D330 thru whatever. The DMV Enforcement troopers in Troop D all start with D9 and follow the same sequences. The lieutenants and captains have three digit calls with no letter in front.

Last edited:

reconrider8

Yea they start with troop A-H then their dustrict usually 1-9 then the actual trooper I'd number like C830 would be troop C district 8 and trooper number 30

WA4MJF

Two numbers denote civilian personnel, sworn personnel have 3 numbers.

CCHLLM

Thas' right! And there are other unit designator assignments that show up that relate to various civilian and state assignments that deal with Dept of Public Safety and Emergency Management and other cooperators' activities, etc.

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
Last week I heard a P-Paul unit on a Troop G district channel talking to Newton, P-640 to be exact. First time I have ever heard that one.

lpp3799

Premium Subscriber
Here is a follow up question, can the HP, SD & local PD's talk to one another on there radio system? When the HP was on lo-band, years ago, I remember one trooper telling me that the did something called cross band or split. That is where the would listen on a scanner for the to one another. When they wanted to talk to another unit, they would lock the scanner on each others frequency and transmit on their radio. To the listener, it sounded as if the Trooper was talking to himself since you would only hear one side of the conversation.

kg4pbd

Here is a follow up question, can the HP, SD & local PD's talk to one another on there radio system? When the HP was on lo-band, years ago, I remember one trooper telling me that the did something called cross band or split. That is where the would listen on a scanner for the to one another. When they wanted to talk to another unit, they would lock the scanner on each others frequency and transmit on their radio. To the listener, it sounded as if the Trooper was talking to himself since you would only hear one side of the conversation.

Sounds like an improvised method I remember from the early 70's where I grew up in PA. Township police were on vhf, city of Erie was on UHF. The mutual aid method was for Millcreek to call Erie on Millcreek's frequency, and Erie would respond to Millcreek on Erie's frequency. If you were scanning both agencies (on an 8 ch. Monitoradio crystal scanner of course), you would hear the entire conversation. The cars for each respective agency would only hear their own dispatcher's side.

When you think how complicated mutual aid has become today, that was a pretty basic system that worked.

WA4MJF

In troop A, before Intercity dial up on 155.190, Williamston transmitted to the local pds on 42.66 and the locals answered on 39.46. We used an Exec rx in its own box with a PS. ER I think was the first part of the rx number and a Prog line Deskmate to transmit. it was channel 2 and, of course, Channel 1 was 39.100 which the whole NE was on. So we could talk to other departments by just calling them. We had same car numbers as Manteo 80 series. When we had band openings we had to listen to make sure who was who. lol Because of narrow band RX and TX we could not spread the freqs very far apart. I thinking the split was like 30-40 and 40-50. Even if both freqs were in the split you generally could not have them more than 2-3 mcs apart.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Yes, today's radio systems are extremely versatile. Especially Very Wide Area P25 systems like the VIPER. NCSHP can pretty much talk to any other First Responder Agency on VIPER, as well as currently if need be, SCHP. In the not too distant future, you can add THP, and VSP to that listing if MOUs get set up and Interop agreements made then we will see NC/TN, and NC/VA Talkgroups in addition to the NC/SC ones.

WA4MJF

Yes, today's radio systems are extremely versatile. Especially Very Wide Area P25 systems like the VIPER. NCSHP can pretty much talk to any other First Responder Agency on VIPER, as well as currently if need be, SCHP. In the not too distant future, you can add THP, and VSP to that listing if MOUs get set up and Interop agreements made then we will see NC/TN, and NC/VA Talkgroups in addition to the NC/SC ones.

In theory but in practice keep cell phone handy. I used to try to get
C Troop radio on C troop Mutual Aid and never got a response so
had to call them on the phone. I asked a TC why and he said they
keep it turned down, as it was "just noise". The selection of TGs that
anyone has is limited. I have every Troops' MA and Common, but none
of the Troop Dispatch TGs. Got no WCSD, at all. Ain't what it cracked up to be!

Ronnie

TylerMK

Premium Subscriber
I've tried calling SHP on Com2 and M/A with no response as well. The rule where I'm from is that SHP can talk on our local talkgroups, which they do, but we cannot talk on the SHP district talkgroups. It would be nice if Com2 and M/A for every troop was monitored as these are the only ones we're allowed to talk on.

drayd48

I am going to say how it works for Iredell county. Iredell is in Troop F and District 4 (of troop f). So all Iredell cars are F-4XX. When they call the dispatch center, they say Newton since the dispatch center is in Newton. So a unit calling dispatch in Iredell would say "Newton, F-441". Said above also.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
In theory but in practice keep cell phone handy. I used to try to get
C Troop radio on C troop Mutual Aid and never got a response so
had to call them on the phone. I asked a TC why and he said they
keep it turned down, as it was "just noise". The selection of TGs that
anyone has is limited. I have every Troops' MA and Common, but none
of the Troop Dispatch TGs. Got no WCSD, at all. Ain't what it cracked up to be!

Ronnie

And that is sad, when an true emergency hits, and folks die, maybe heads will roll and DAs will no longer be the ones running the radios where the primary function and even NAME of the system is about interop! So glad they are doing it right here in IN on SAFE-T.

Status
Not open for further replies.