New in Tryon--need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

Just moved to the far east part of Tryon (not downtown, closer to HWY 9). I am trying to hear more on my digital scanners, I have a Uniden BCD436HP and Radio Shack Pro 106.

I noticed that there are no digital channels listed under the database for Polk county, all VHF, is this correct? I read in an older thread that Tryon PD went to digital, but they are listed as VHF channels in the database.

I am from Cleveland County, and still pick up some channels when I am outside (working on getting external antenna) and still like to keep up with Cleveland 800mhz.

When I do hear anything on Polk County Sheriff, its very quiet, I have to turn the volume up way loud and its not even that great.

I have also added some VIPER channels, but they don't pick up anything local, its mostly Burke County.

What am I missing?

trumpetman

Database Admin
You're really not going to hear much in Polk County, especially in comparison to Cleveland County; there's just not much going on.

Tryon is using NXDN digital on their VHF frequencies, you'll need a Whistler TRX scanner or use DSD to decode the signal with your computer.

NCSHP Troop G District 3 is used for Polk/Henderson/Transylvania counties which isn't that busy to begin with even with having 3 counties on the same talkgroup.

Not sure what to tell you about the sheriff channel. With your Uniden you can set up a volume offset on a per channel basis. Bump it to +2 or +3 and it might help. I've had to do that for some channels in my area where the audio is so hot into the radio it's almost painful to listen to.

There's plenty to listen to around you between NC & SC, so once you get a feel for who uses what around where you live you can always branch out to surrounding counties and add some listening to those as well.

WeBeCinYa

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I expected there to be a lot less on the airwaves, but kinda disappointed in the VHF reception.

To hear the Highway Patrol, do they usually communicate on the 42mhz freq or are they using the VIPER frequencies for the Polk, Henderson, Transylvania counties? I have these programmed, never heard anything. But I have heard some chatter on the VIPER HP stations, just not sure if it was my local or distant.

Any recommendations on an external antenna to pick up Cleveland Co? I can pick it up sometimes in our house, and better outside, but would like to hook up external antenna. Do these HDTV antennas work for that?

trumpetman

Database Admin
You will only hear highway patrol dispatched on VIPER now. You might hear some car to car chatter on the 42 MHz channels but they'll have to be close by to hear.

I suggest building an antenna first if you can help it. Not sure how well you will hear Cleveland County from Tryon. Either you're not going to hear it at all or you're going to get conflicting signals from the simulcast sites at Benns Knob & Boiling Springs, especially if you're far away it may not be easily decoded.

WeBeCinYa

I pick up Cleveland currently pretty well if I am outside, and even better when I elevated (on my roof) so I hope that an antenna works outside.

Thanks for your help!

ncdadof3

Premium Subscriber
I pick up Cleveland currently pretty well if I am outside, and even better when I elevated (on my roof) so I hope that an antenna works outside.

Thanks for your help!
occasionally you will pick up Polk SD and EM on their Viper talk groups but rarely. 151.130 SD and 154.965. FD/EMS is your best bet to hear anything for POLK..

WeBeCinYa

occasionally you will pick up Polk SD and EM on their Viper talk groups but rarely. 151.130 SD and 154.965. FD/EMS is your best bet to hear anything for POLK..

I see you are in Tryon. Do you listen to neighboring counties? If so, do you have an external antenna setup?

ncdadof3

Premium Subscriber
I do listen to the neighboring counties. I use an ST2 with a BC780XLT. In my opinion they go together like a hand in a glove. On the digital side I use a Pro197 with a radio shack 800mhz rubber duck antenna.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Tryon

Does anyone know the NXDN info for Tryon PD and FD? I have a TRX but im not down there yet will be next summer just want to know if anyone had the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.