Wilson system on Unication G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Hey folks - has anyone successfully monitored the Wilson P25 system using a Unication pager?

I've driven through the area numerous times over the past few months using various configurations to no avail.

Yesterday, I had the all system parameters set to wildcard and all system frequencies programmed and still the G4 reported "out of range".

I captured logs on my TRX-2 and found that the WACN, SYSID, RFSS and Site values that are posted are all correct and the system appeared to be using 858.6875 as the active control channel.

I'm stumped as to why the G4 can't seem to process this system when my other radios have received activity at times while in the area.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6679

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
858.6875 is not listed as the primary CC, yet that's the active freq. Any chance the G4 is somehow latched onto the inactive primary CC? Have you tried only listing 858.6875 in the G4?

troymail

Silent Key
858.6875 is not listed as the primary CC, yet that's the active freq. Any chance the G4 is somehow latched onto the inactive primary CC? Have you tried only listing 858.6875 in the G4?

858.6875 has always been in my programming. I only recently added all other (non CC) frequencies hoping that perhaps the RRDB info was simply out of date. No joy.

The G4 scans through the list of programmed frequencies (in last night's case - all listed on RRDB) and tries to find the CC. After several attempts, it just never found one / any active CC and just kept reporting out of range.

Typically, I've seen this when the WACN, SYSID and/or other system parms are incorrect - which is why I set them to wildcards this time (although I've determined several times now that they are correct on RRDB and were programmed correctly).

Puzzling. I've only passed through the area numerous times and really didn't have the chance to stop and attack the problem as I normally would.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Hmm, yeah, not sure. Will be interested to know what you find.

I drive around with my G4 with stellar results, but I've never 'passed through' a region that I don't normally receive. My location straddles 2 counties that both boom in, so the G4 is always on those.

troymail

Silent Key
I've driven through many areas between the southern coast of NC (including into Myrtle Beach) up and down I-95 to northern Philadelphia. Also down the Maryland and Virginia Eastern Shore. In most cases, things work on the G4 as expected but I have encountered some issues - sometimes bad data on RRDB, other times bad programming on my part. However, I've been able to overcome all but two issues so far -- Wilson NC and (I just remembered) Norfolk VA. I haven't really looked at the Norfolk issue(s) in any detail yet. However, I've now programmed and listened to all of these systems without much issue with the exception of silence where I later realize a system is really fully (or nearly fully) Phase 2* (CC lock but no audio) :

PA: Philadelphia, York County, Adams County*, Bucks County*
MD: CMARC, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Prince George County, St. Mary's County, Carroll County, Frederick County, Worcester County, MAA, FiRST
DC: District of Columbia
VA: Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, Stafford, Spotsylvania, Hanover, Petersburg, Hopewell, ORION/Virginia Beach, Suffolk
NC: VIPER, New Hanover
SC: Horry County

EDIT: Just checked TRX-2 recordings for Norfolk -- the active CC yesterday was that which is listed as the primary on the RRDB so I can only assuming right now that the other parms (WACN, SYSID, etc.) on RRDB are wrong (I've seen that before) or the G4 is having problems with this system as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.