Programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I live in Ashe county and have 2 Viper sites within a 5 mile radius of me. Programming a Whistler WS1065 would I put all the control and alternate frequencies for both sites and set it as a multi site system?
Thanks in advance

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
If you plan to use the scanner as a "base station," you really only need the control channel for one of the sites.
However . . . personally, I have more than one site programmed, in the event the primary site goes down. You can just switch to the other site by switching banks in the scanner.
A lot of the answer to your question depends on HOW you use the scanner, as much as WHERE.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that sometimes I will hear traffic on the Phoenix mtn. site while the Jefferson Mtn. site remains quiet. What would be causing this?

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
You only need the control channel to be able to receive the site, but keep in mind that the frequency could possibly change to one of the others assigned to that site.
As far as being within range of two sites, I have programmed "base station" scanners for folks who like to listen primarily to fire and EMS. Since their location is within monitoring range of four sites, I programmed everything they want into one bank, using the nearest site. Then programmed the identical set of talkgroups using a different site into a different bank on the scanner. When the scanner goes quiet, they look at the signal strength meter. If there are no bars showing, they just push the button to start scanning the "back-up bank," until the primary site comes back on the air.
Just a thought. You may find something that works better for you, or someone else may chime in with a different idea.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I have both sites programmed into different banks and just monitor both, since i noticed i was hearing traffic on one site but not on the other one. Both sites show 5 bars on the signal meter.

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
What you are hearing on one site and not on the other is MOST LIKELY a talkgroup that has one or more radios affiliated (in range of, and logged in to) with that particular site.
In simplest terms, if a radio is on a particular "channel," then traffic on that "channel" is broadcast from the site to which that particular radio is nearest, even if the other users of the "channel" are not in range of that particular site.
When no radios on that "channel" (talkgroup) are within range of (affiliated with) the site, it does not re-broadcast the transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.