New Hanover County Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been searching for quite some time to find frequencies used by the NHC prison/correctional facility and guards. I’ve been able to confirm 154.665 as a simplex used by guards, but the facility is too far for me to monitor the simplex stuff.
Does anyone have any additional information in regards?
Thank you.

spacellamaman

the prison by the stanly county airport uses a handful of commonly licensed NC DOC frequencies, though i can find nothing specifically licensed to that facility.

off the top of my head (in other words corrections will come later) :

all discovered via Close Call and Signal Stalker functions incidental to other searching reasons (MilAir)
Generally have to be almost line of sight though, so presumably handhelds.

VI= Voice Inversion or something similar, only place I have encountered this

154.7475 PL173.8 - VI
ummmm PL173.8 - VI
the other...PL173.8 - VI
dangit..... PL173.8 - VI

158.8875 PL100.0 in the clear and Rx-able from a fair distance

42.56 PL173.8 in the clear, transports and weapons related stuff (I presume its them that is)

Ok so I can't remember much at all it appears... but there are at least three more. I'll get back to ya.

Just FCC search NCDOC and you'll probably hit on something. Every one I have come across is licensed to some NC DOC somewhere.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much!! Now I have a reasonable starting point.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
John

spacellamaman

no thanks needed, the first one didn't take long. this one did. were even

Stanly County Prison (near KVUJ)

First two are the most active usually and will set off Close Call if you are driving by
the entrance when someone keys up.

PL 173.8
-------
153.7475 Voice Inversion
153.8525 Voice Inversion
155.9775 note to me says "VI?"

I forget which one at the moment but one of the next two is higher power and 5-10 miles
range is often possible

PL 100.0
-------
158.8775 - note to me says "VI?"
158.9775 - fairly certain in the clear

Also have a note listing

158.9775 - "PL173.8 EXP/Tryout"

which is my shorthand for suspecting that it is a possible combo. I must have had some
reason to suspect it, but I can't remember if I ever did confirm that, nor do I have
anything saying I for certain logged it. The point is I believe at least one freq is used
with PLs 100.0 and 173.8 with one being VI and the other being in the clear.

42.56 PL 173.8 - Active in my area from time to time, tho you best toss a wire in a tree.
NCSHP it ain't and my guess is its point (prison) to point (DOC Busses)
only with no repeater set-up, nor the power output of the SHP.

42.88 PL 173.8 - Never heard a peep yet, wire in tree or not.

And...I imagine this will not be of any use, cause odds are the licensing wouldn't be thru
NCDOC, but I discovered this one about 6 months before everything in Stanly started
switching over to VIPER for that brief pre-UASI period. By the time I felt confident
enough to share it with the class, it went silent. Not that it would have been terribly
useful for most people cause you had to be a mile or so away or less to recieve it.

That's why it took me forever to confirm it. Sitting infront of the county lockup with
all said suspicious gear, being held by suspicious character (me) didn't seem like a
bright idea. But nonetheless it twas:

460.475 DCS365 - Stanly County Jail, Downtown Albemarle.

I've just been dyyiinng to tell someone.

Plus a handful of NCDOC permits have UHF 400MHZ freqs at 5W listed, so its marginally
relevant.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I can’t thank you enough. You have gone WAY above and beyond in your attempt to help me and it is very much appreciated.
I’ll be sure to let you know how I make out and I will also make every attempt to “pay it forward” in kind!
Thank you Sir!

spacellamaman

I can’t thank you enough. You have gone WAY above and beyond in your attempt to help me and it is very much appreciated.
I’ll be sure to let you know how I make out and I will also make every attempt to “pay it forward” in kind!
Thank you Sir!

awww shucks, well i am simply paying it forward myself sir and is all i could ask in return... I would be interested in anything you find out there in use.

I personally don't hang around prisons much, for fear of being invited in, but pursued this one for reasons of proximity, lots of down time in proximity, and primarily the novelty of the Voice Inversion. I originally thought it was one of the small industrial operations around the airport, cause it sounded so similar to a couple of old Moto GMRS radios I have that have a 3 position Voice Inversion option that when out of sync sounds essentially the same.

When I finally did an FCC search all possibilities came back as DOC. Oh. Wow. Not on VIPER? when Stanly transitioned briefly to VIPER the county jail did too and the UHF went forever silent. But the prison, I assume run by the state, not on the statewide system?....oh...shows how little i listen to LE/EMS/FIRE stuff. in fact today is one of the few days this year that i am listening to VIPER, and its cause the holidays are so dern boring.

good luck

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Sea Coast has a number of systems they run (Landfall Security, AAA dispatch and various trades) and appear to have great coverage in New Hanover County! This could be a huge step for the C.O.’s and those of who monitor (or try).
Thank you for the heads-up!! Very much appreciated!

troymail

Silent Key
I'm suspecting it's just a patch device to connect a prison (UHF) frequency to a talkgroup (or direct frequency) on the NH County system which is probably only active if/when the need arises for that communication (vs. present all the time).

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Yep, that’s what it is. Oh well...
There’s little doubt they’ll be encrypted if they can communicate with
Sheriff's deputies and/or Wilmington PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.