RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

MCSO and Williamston PD have been using the same TG for as long as I’ve had a P25 scanner... almost 3 years since I got it. Never heard them separate even on the Williamston site.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What about the other sheriff's office TGs? Anything on those? Perhaps you could submit an update?
Old 02-25-2018, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Caught Sanford Police using TG#27035 Special Ops,they have opted out of viper still on their old uhf system but still have the viper back-up
Old 02-25-2018, 2:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Picking up what I think is VA Stars from Cumberland Co loud/clear # 161.8 Nac 197 sound like road side parks/162.00 Nac 19-6/159,225 Nac-190. Sounds like a little ducting going on.
Old 03-11-2018, 6:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

did some checking on Fay VA moving to viper because they have a talk-group on viper was told observed that they will stay on #407.8375 for now this is P-25

Last edited by GMB951; 03-11-2018 at 6:47 PM.. Reason: add
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2018, 1:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Lincoln County VIPER

I have it on good authority from several sources that Lincoln County will be going live on VIPER starting on July 1. I was told that the Lincoln County VIPER Site will be placed at the Sheriff's Office bldg in Lincolnton. My thing is, it's only 3 months & some change away, and I have yet to see a new tower Site added to the RR database, nor have I seen a new Site pop up in DSD+ or UniTrunker. Common Sense would say if you're going live on a new Site in just over 3 months that the tower would already have to be in-place by now and testing underway to go live by July 1. The only new changes that I have noticed is within the past couple weeks there's been new Digital radios being used for some of the units that didn't have them before, I can tell they are Digital due to the sound over the VHF patch that's currently in-place. Also the Digital radio ID's showing up on the Catawba Site talkgroups.

Does anyone/can anyone find out the info on this as far as will they be adding a new Site for Lincoln County or will they be piggybacking off of the Catawba County Site that is already busy enough? I appreciate any input and thank you!

David
Old 03-15-2018, 5:39 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

A lot can happen in three months. And nothing says a tower has to be online before agencies come onto the system. There is already good coverage in Lincoln county and I imagine the Lincolnton site is supplemental for in-building coverage since the county is going primary.

There is a significant amount of planning that goes on behind the scenes and a new site coming online is only a small hurdle at the end of a long race. Sites come online quick. To actually turn up a site usually takes about a day to go from an empty shelter and lines/antenna on the tower to a working and networked site. Have some patience I'm sure it'll be online soon, it's not like the 400' tower isn't already in place. Those VIPER guys move quick once the L&A are on the tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicDavid78 View Post
I have it on good authority from several sources that Lincoln County will be going live on VIPER starting on July 1. I was told that the Lincoln County VIPER Site will be placed at the Sheriff's Office bldg in Lincolnton. My thing is, it's only 3 months & some change away, and I have yet to see a new tower Site added to the RR database, nor have I seen a new Site pop up in DSD+ or UniTrunker. Common Sense would say if you're going live on a new Site in just over 3 months that the tower would already have to be in-place by now and testing underway to go live by July 1. The only new changes that I have noticed is within the past couple weeks there's been new Digital radios being used for some of the units that didn't have them before, I can tell they are Digital due to the sound over the VHF patch that's currently in-place. Also the Digital radio ID's showing up on the Catawba Site talkgroups.

Does anyone/can anyone find out the info on this as far as will they be adding a new Site for Lincoln County or will they be piggybacking off of the Catawba County Site that is already busy enough? I appreciate any input and thank you!

David
Old 03-15-2018, 5:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetman View Post
A lot can happen in three months. And nothing says a tower has to be online before agencies come onto the system. There is already good coverage in Lincoln county and I imagine the Lincolnton site is supplemental for in-building coverage since the county is going primary.

There is a significant amount of planning that goes on behind the scenes and a new site coming online is only a small hurdle at the end of a long race. Sites come online quick. To actually turn up a site usually takes about a day to go from an empty shelter and lines/antenna on the tower to a working and networked site. Have some patience I'm sure it'll be online soon, it's not like the 400' tower isn't already in place. Those VIPER guys move quick once the L&A are on the tower
LOL, I see your point. I guess I was just assuming they would be testing the new Site out for a bit before going live. But I'm sorta new here, down in South Florida my home County's P25 system was tested out for 6 months before going live, but there was also close to 100,000 users between Fire, EMS, Police, Sheriff, & Animal Control. I wasn't considering the smaller size of the Lincoln system compared to a large County back home I was used to. my oversight.

David
Old 03-15-2018, 5:58 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicDavid78 View Post
LOL, I see your point. I guess I was just assuming they would be testing the new Site out for a bit before going live. But I'm sorta new here, down in South Florida my home County's P25 system was tested out for 6 months before going live, but there was also close to 100,000 users between Fire, EMS, Police, Sheriff, & Animal Control. I wasn't considering the smaller size of the Lincoln system compared to a large County back home I was used to. my oversight.

David
100,000 users is why they did 6 months of testing. If it's a existing system and a new site is coming up to add coverage it shouldn't take to long. The tower is already up
Old 03-19-2018, 3:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

ULS License - Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQYA799 - NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL
Trunked Public Safety 700 MHz License - WQYA799 - NORTH CAROLINA STATE HIGHWAY PATROL

560 SIGMON RD
LINCOLNTON, NC LINCOLN County *
[IMG]c:\pic\lincolnton viper site.jpg[/IMG]

000769.53125000 *
000770.03125000 *
000771.10625000 *
000771.38125000 *
000772.35625000 *
000772.60625000 *
000773.21875000 *
000774.18125000 *
000774.45625000 *
000774.89375000 *
Old 03-19-2018, 7:27 PM

Default Tg#31020

Picking up TG# 31020 it falls in Mitchell Co range and it definitely is a Tac channel. Fire fighting Ops was what was picking up.
Old 04-01-2018, 7:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Robeson viper

picked up 39550 unknown law talk group .on st.pauls viper site. Anyone out there have an idea who this could be?
Old 04-05-2018, 6:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Encryption in the future for Viper?

With all the recent discussion about encryption, I am wondering if Viper will make that move in the future? Realistically, living in Wake County there are only 2 primary systems to monitor: Viper and Wake Simulcast. From some of you involved in those systems, can you say if there are plans to encrypt and if so will it be all radio traffic?

One reason I ask is I am considering updating my equipment to the latest models, i.e. 536HP. If encryption is in the near future it makes no sense to do that. Of course if I had a clue what Uniden Products are on the horizon, that might influence the decision too.

Since I mentioned Uniden, I wonder what their position and forecast is for encryption. I suppose Whistler is looking at this too. Encryption has to be a consideration at Uniden as they allocate their R&D monies. If encryption can potentially dramatically shrink the scanner market just how much more energy will they invest. I suppose the same question could be asked about the scanner software providers. Or for that matter, what will it do to used scanner prices?

What say you?
Old 04-05-2018, 9:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe Im way off, but knowing what I do on encryption in general, it will take far to much compute power to put on a scanner to decrypt. Its probably a losing battle for scanners.

I dont see fire encrypting at all. Too many interop problems as is, encryption is just one more issue that fire depts dont need on the scene of a major fire. A lot of little depts dont want to pay for it. At a county level maybe, but then again, when you get a big system going (Viper) not everyone again wants to pay for it or use it.
Old 04-05-2018, 9:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

VIPER is a collective of agencies. Each agency can decide to encrypt their own talkgroup(s), but I don't think the folks that run the network will decide for them and encrypt everything in one fell swoop. It seems like they discourage encryption if anything.
Old 04-05-2018, 9:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCasto View Post
With all the recent discussion about encryption, I am wondering if Viper will make that move in the future? Realistically, living in Wake County there are only 2 primary systems to monitor: Viper and Wake Simulcast. From some of you involved in those systems, can you say if there are plans to encrypt and if so will it be all radio traffic?

One reason I ask is I am considering updating my equipment to the latest models, i.e. 536HP. If encryption is in the near future it makes no sense to do that. Of course if I had a clue what Uniden Products are on the horizon, that might influence the decision too.

Since I mentioned Uniden, I wonder what their position and forecast is for encryption. I suppose Whistler is looking at this too. Encryption has to be a consideration at Uniden as they allocate their R&D monies. If encryption can potentially dramatically shrink the scanner market just how much more energy will they invest. I suppose the same question could be asked about the scanner software providers. Or for that matter, what will it do to used scanner prices?

What say you?
I'm sure there will be lots to listen to with scanners for some time to come... just maybe not everything you'd like to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapman987 View Post
Maybe Im way off, but knowing what I do on encryption in general, it will take far to much compute power to put on a scanner to decrypt. Its probably a losing battle for scanners.
Scanners are NEVER going to be able to decrypt - think of decryption as "they no longer use a radio"... it is gone - unless they opt to revert back to non-encryption (it has happened for some users in some areas).
Quote:
I dont see fire encrypting at all. Too many interop problems as is, encryption is just one more issue that fire depts dont need on the scene of a major fire. A lot of little depts dont want to pay for it. At a county level maybe, but then again, when you get a big system going (Viper) not everyone again wants to pay for it or use it.
Fire/EMS has encrypted in some places ... not necessarily in NC or on VIPER - yet - as far as I know.
Old 04-05-2018, 9:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post

Scanners are NEVER going to be able to decrypt - think of decryption as "they no longer use a radio"... it is gone - unless they opt to revert back to non-encryption (it has happened for some users in some areas).

Fire/EMS has encrypted in some places ... not necessarily in NC or on VIPER - yet - as far as I know.
And from what Ive heard, they were cities with little mutual aid need, not JimBob and Joe's volunteer fire dept with no money, who calls every cousin and brother in the county (and a few counties over) if there is a fire.
Old 04-06-2018, 2:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default DMR encryption?

Just was wondering if DMR systems are easily encrypted?

Yes, I have read where a small number of agencies have turned off encryption. It was basically done because the policy makers were on a transparency mission.
Old 04-06-2018, 5:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCasto View Post
Just was wondering if DMR systems are easily encrypted?
Encryption is encryption - doesn't matter if it is DMR or P25. Same process.

Different types of encryption may be "easier" on a processor but those encryption types could be applied to any number of underlying protocols.

Quote:
Yes, I have read where a small number of agencies have turned off encryption. It was basically done because the policy makers were on a transparency mission.
Probably true. However, in some cases, I believe it was done due to unforeseen or expected Interop issues - sometimes after bad consequences.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

During the Forrest fires yesterday and the Fire Talk Groups I monitored for Cumberland Co it appears they are listed wrong I will try to figure this out'
These are the ones I corrected so far
TG# 13522 is Tac # 1A
TG# 13523 is Tac # 8A
All info has been sumitted

Last edited by GMB951; 04-07-2018 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: add

Tags