RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2018, 7:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Appears to have been a shooting in Harnett Co<Cumb,Harnett and SHP units in a big search
Talk Group being used at present #52145 Trp B Harnett
#51955 S/W Events 1
#22036 Harnett Events 1
#52225 Trp B Mutual Aid

Last edited by GMB951; 04-14-2018 at 7:59 PM.. Reason: add
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2018, 10:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Checking different systems for interop and to me the Viper system we have has little or no interop with either South Carolina or VA or it is not been put out yet. The TACN System Tenn. advanced comm system has it right they have the western side of GA covered so they have day to day and unit to unit coverage in both states
Old 04-15-2018, 10:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Viper Peer Sites

With a better antenna I am now clearly getting the site at Durham Cole Mill Road. I am a little surprised to be getting Orange Co. TGs on that Durham site. When I look at the details for the Cole Mill Road site I see the following sites listed as "peers sites":

015 - Durham Cole Mill Road --

007 - Durham Duke University
009 - Durham, Camden Avenue
012 - Orange Chapel Hill
013 - Chatham Chatham Mountain
019 - Orange Eno Mountain
026 - Orange Laws
072 - Person Mt. Tirzah

I don't quite understand the role of a peer site. Does it mean if I am listening to Durham Cole Mill Road site (015), I can hear the radio traffic from its peers. Is that the reason I am hearing Orange County TGs on the Durham Cole Mill Road site? How dynamic is the peer assignment? Does it ever change? Please help me understand better the peer site configuration.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm pretty sure VIPER has some SC Interop talkgroups -- at least these are documented...
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2018, 10:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yep have them in my scanners used to hear radio checks on them but when SC started the build out
of their system have not monitored any thing. But will let every body know if I monitor anything also have a friend on the SCHP that I can check with
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2018, 10:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB951 View Post
Yep have them in my scanners used to hear radio checks on them but when SC started the build out
of their system have not monitored any thing. But will let every body know if I monitor anything also have a friend on the SCHP that I can check with
I think in the recent past I'd hear a radio check/roll call around 3am daily... then again, that may have been before Palmetto went P25.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 AM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Brian,
Remember that While Orange County is a Primary user of VIPER, Durham County is a secondary user. The Cole Mill Rd site is considered an "overflow" site for the heavy VIPER usage in Orange County. Sure Cole Mill Rd also carries SHP radio traffic along with medical transport services but one of it's most important tasks is to act as that Orange County overflow site.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCasto View Post
With a better antenna I am now clearly getting the site at Durham Cole Mill Road. I am a little surprised to be getting Orange Co. TGs on that Durham site. When I look at the details for the Cole Mill Road site I see the following sites listed as "peers sites":

015 - Durham Cole Mill Road --

007 - Durham Duke University
009 - Durham, Camden Avenue
012 - Orange Chapel Hill
013 - Chatham Chatham Mountain
019 - Orange Eno Mountain
026 - Orange Laws
072 - Person Mt. Tirzah

I don't quite understand the role of a peer site. Does it mean if I am listening to Durham Cole Mill Road site (015), I can hear the radio traffic from its peers. Is that the reason I am hearing Orange County TGs on the Durham Cole Mill Road site? How dynamic is the peer assignment? Does it ever change? Please help me understand better the peer site configuration.

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
Old 04-15-2018, 4:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Marshall, thank you for your always spot-on response. Would you consider Wake County a secondary user of VIPER also?

Since I have multiple scanners, I can monitor at least 2 Wake Co. VIPER sites. Sometimes the traffic on both is the same and some time not.

While we are at it, why does RDU use both its own trunked system for some functions and Wake Simulcast for others? Their own trunked system is not very active.

Another one, I get 3-4 bars of signal strength for Durham City, but I don't hear much radio traffic. Do they use MDTs or some other communications tool that keeps radio traffic very light?

Thank you ..
Old 04-15-2018, 5:00 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Threaded

Quote:
Marshall, thank you for your always spot-on response. Would you consider Wake County a secondary user of VIPER also?
I am sure Wake would indeed consider themselves a secondary VIPER user. Like Durham, They have their own radio system for Primary day to day comms and only use VIPER for Interop and Mutual Aid situations.

Quote:
Since I have multiple scanners, I can monitor at least 2 Wake Co. VIPER sites. Sometimes the traffic on both is the same and some time not.
That would indeed be the system resource management of the Smartzone side of VIPER. No need to carry talkgroup audio of there are no radios affiliated to the site that would use said talkgroup.

Quote:
While we are at it, why does RDU use both its own trunked system for some functions and Wake Simulcast for others? Their own trunked system is not very active.
A variety of reasons why KRDU uses the mixture of the Wake System and their own system....a few right off the top of my head:
--The KRDU/Wake configuration makes sense from a public safety perspective. In the terribly unfortunate situation of a downed aircraft most mutual aid would first come from Wake County. Hence provide said mutual aid response with a robust system that can accommodate the flood of radio traffic that would need to take place.
--Remember that the KRDU radio system has only 6 frequencies and a limited coverage pattern. Again in a mass casualty situation you need to a have a radio system that has more capacity and a large reception footprint as some of the mutual aid agencies could be coming from various parts of Wake & Durham Counties.
--Using the Wake System for Public Safety frees up the 6 channel KRDU system to be used by other airport groups such as buses, security, maintenance, etc. It also gives the airport more capacity within their coverage pattern for future use.
--Just because we realize that KRDU uses both the Wake Radio System and the Airport system does not mean the end user does. With the radios in use today switching between radio systems can be transparent to the end user with them being non the wiser.

Quote:
Another one, I get 3-4 bars of signal strength for Durham City, but I don't hear much radio traffic. Do they use MDTs or some other communications tool that keeps radio traffic very light?
While Durham PD does have MDT access in their vehicles I can tell you that their is no lack of radio traffic on the Durham system. I know because I monitor and talk on the radio system 8+ hours a day at work and also monitor system activity from home 24/7 being that I am on call for the city. You are probably experiencing the dreaded simulcast distortion and need to have a directional beam pointed in the direction of the closest of the 4 towers that make up the Durham System. Simulcast reception from outside the intended coverage pattern is always a roll of the dice as the system was probably not designed to be received from where you are located. The Durham system has great reach into the NW Raleigh area and into Brier Creek but any further east is a crapshoot at best.

Quote:
Thank you ..
No worries.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter

Last edited by KE4ZNR; 04-15-2018 at 5:01 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 04-17-2018, 2:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Marshall, I don't know where the 4 City of Durham towers are located. Can you please point me to the place where I can find their lat and long?

*** never mind, I found the locations.. ***

Last edited by BCasto; 04-17-2018 at 2:36 PM..
Old 04-18-2018, 7:52 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Franklin Water Tower Site

Finally had time to monitor VIPER this evening and I'm noticing that the Franklin Water Tower site, which is within 1/4 mile of my house (and easily within sight), appears to be offline. Nothing has changed on my codeplug and it was online earlier.

Anyone know if it's down for maintenance or another reason?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
WQIT636
996P2/996XT/780/796/296D/396T/396XT/436/XTS2500/XTS5000/NX300/CS701
Old 04-18-2018, 8:07 PM
Database Admin

Try adding 773.95625 and 772.01875 to your control channel list for the site and see how reception looks then.
Old 04-18-2018, 9:26 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default VIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetman View Post
Try adding 773.95625 and 772.01875 to your control channel list for the site and see how reception looks then.
I am now able to monitor the site as it locks on 773.95625 as the active CC. Where did you discover these new frequencies? Have they been shared anywhere on RR?
996P2/996XT/780/796/296D/396T/396XT/436/XTS2500/XTS5000/NX300/CS701
Old 04-20-2018, 10:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

City of Fayetteville power outage everybody on Viper have been advised to go to WTs and stay off air unless emergency, City of Fayetteville also on Wts. Several different power switches out across city
Old 04-20-2018, 10:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB951 View Post
City of Fayetteville power outage everybody on Viper have been advised to go to WTs and stay off air unless emergency, City of Fayetteville also on Wts. Several different power switches out across city
What's WTS?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSJ View Post
What's WTS?
My guess would be "Walkie-Talkies" or handheld radios.

Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Power Outage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSJ View Post
What's WTS?
Walkie Talkies
Old 04-23-2018, 9:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Have been monitoring the Robeson Co Sheriff Dispatch today looks like they have or are in the process of moving to Viper now their EMS/Fire have been on viper for sometime now
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am very confused when programming VIPER into my HP2. When I select, say NCHP Troop C from the list in Sential, It loads all of the sites in NC. How do I know which sites are close enough to me to include? I usually am driving in Wake, Durham Orange, Johnston, Cumberland.
Thanks
Joe
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sentinel always seems to import all sites (and, as far as I know, doesn't give an option to select which sites to import) -- probably assumes you are using GPS or otherwise setting a location (i.e. zip code). If not, you either need to AVOID them or remove them....

Last edited by troymail; 04-23-2018 at 10:56 AM..

Tags