Asheville Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granaas6

Feed Provider
I have a BCD996p2 scanner. I need some help picking up APD. I am new to Phase2 scanners and am using RadioReference.com's Buncombe Co. database. I have everything downloaded and installed but still dead air on APD channels. Viper and other channels are working great. Last I heard, they were not encrypted. Any help is appreciated.

troymail

Silent Key
From what I recall of my November visit (and unless something has changed), Asheville Police was fairly easy to receive on the Asheville system which is Phase 1

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9081

I did direct imports from the RRDB library data (no special programming).

It is simulcast so depend upon your location, it could be harder for you to receive than the VIPER sites.

Law enforcement (Sheriff) on the Buncombe County system was not an option because they are encrypted and the simulcast sites of the system are difficult to receive (due to the simulcast).

Last edited:

AlphaFive

APD

I would respectfully suggest that you build your system using these freqs. from the license WNXR226;

856.4875 856.7625 856.9875 857.7625 857.9875 858.7625 859.7625 860.7625 860.9875. Build your own system as Phase 1. They have four sites, in Leicester, Town Mountain, Arden, and White Fawn across from the hospital.

Yes, Yes, I hear you all shouting, he only has to do the control channels, (as he swats away the naysayers),, This is true, I always take an extra 2 minutes and 24 seconds to put in all of the output frequencies, OCD is a wonderful thing.

If you do this, you will have no issues, make sure you set your system up as Wildcard, take care.

troymail

Silent Key
I would respectfully suggest that you build your system using these freqs. from the license WNXR226;

856.4875 856.7625 856.9875 857.7625 857.9875 858.7625 859.7625 860.7625 860.9875. Build your own system as Phase 1. They have four sites, in Leicester, Town Mountain, Arden, and White Fawn across from the hospital.

Yes, Yes, I hear you all shouting, he only has to do the control channels, (as he swats away the naysayers),, This is true, I always take an extra 2 minutes and 24 seconds to put in all of the output frequencies, OCD is a wonderful thing.

If you do this, you will have no issues, make sure you set your system up as Wildcard, take care.

...and these are the same frequencies for the system as listed in the RRDB link above..

The tower location information is important only in that if you are farily close to one, your reception might be better than say if you are sitting between two or more of them and receiving the simulcast signal from multiple towers. This is where the simulcast might cause you lots of grief.

If you aren't sure about the specific type of system and/or changing of control channel frequencies, enter all 9..... You can just do the red/blue control channels but you run the risk of the radio going silent if the system decides to change frequencies and it isn't one of them.

Don't be confused about creating a "Phase 1" vs. "Phase 2" system -- on the 996P2 (assuming the documentation is correct), they are both programmed the same way (I believe they are even created/programmed the same way as VIPER).

The main police talkgroups are listed but it is obvious that there are some (at least TAC talkgroups) that are not ... so a wildcard/ID Search to find new talkgroups is a must if you want to try to find/identify those talkgroups which are not yet listed.

Given all of this - if you are still not receiving the system, try moving the radio to a different location.... again, it's related to the simulcast issues.

Last edited:

Granaas6

Feed Provider
Thanks guys. I'll keep this thread updated as to how its going.

kd8x

I have a BCD996p2 scanner. I need some help picking up APD. I am new to Phase2 scanners and am using RadioReference.com's Buncombe Co. database. I have everything downloaded and installed but still dead air on APD channels. Viper and other channels are working great. Last I heard, they were not encrypted. Any help is appreciated.
I travel through there twice a day and Asheville PD is on the old 800 megahertz system,

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Granaas6

Feed Provider
I travel through there twice a day and Asheville PD is on the old 800 megahertz system,

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Any specific frequencies I should program in?

AlphaFive

A.P.D.

With all of the respect that is due you Sir, I am running the old M 36 system and the P 25 system side by side as I type. The P 25 is squawking away. The M 36 is silent. That's all I can say right now. I don't doubt what you found. This is just today. Take care.

Granaas6

Feed Provider
With all of the respect that is due you Sir, I am running the old M 36 system and the P 25 system side by side as I type. The P 25 is squawking away. The M 36 is silent. That's all I can say right now. I don't doubt what you found. This is just today. Take care.

Did you program it with the RR database? Like I said, I am still learning all this new stuff and it is just easiest for me to load up what they have rather than having to create my own system because I really dont know how to do that. Trying to learn through the manual is gonna take some time for me.

AlphaFive

A.P.D.

That's understandable, we've all been in that place.. I shouldn't try to help you with programming from R.R. I don't do much of that. There are plenty of good people here who will walk you through downloading from R.R. Keep at it, it'll be worth it.

Granaas6

Feed Provider
That's understandable, we've all been in that place.. I shouldn't try to help you with programming from R.R. I don't do much of that. There are plenty of good people here who will walk you through downloading from R.R. Keep at it, it'll be worth it.

It's not that I am having any problem programing with what RR has. It's that I dont think that they are the correct frequencies. I have everything downloaded to my scanner but I get everything except APD. I even pick up BCSD which is encoded so I hear just gargled noise, but its there.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Are you hearing Fire Rescue? Transit? DPW? If you are not hearing AFR, ART, or any ADPW.... Then you do not have the system in correctly. If you ARE hearing AFR etc... Then things get interesting. APD, AFR, ADPW, and ART are ALL using the P25 800MHz system. The COUNTY 700 MHz system is what Sheriff, County Fire, EMS etc use, and you should NOT hear anything county related on the 800 City system. With the exception of maybe an patch occasionally and Fire Med.

CITY SYSTEM: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9081
COUNTY SYSTEM: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7152
STATE SYSTEM: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7118

These are all SEPARATE SYSTEMS! Each must be programmed in as an separate P25 Standard System (since the 996P2 is pretty much the same as the 996XT with P25 Phase II added should be same options)...

Last edited by a moderator:

Granaas6

Feed Provider
Attached is the exported .csv from what I have on my scanner. All from RR. I use FreeScan to load them.

Attachments

• BCD996P2 1-27-2018.zip
    23.5 KB · Views: 48

Granaas6

Feed Provider
Are you hearing Fire Rescue? Transit? DPW? If you are not hearing AFR, ART, or any ADPW.... Then you do not have the system in correctly. If you ARE hearing AFR etc... Then things get interesting. APD, AFR, ADPW, and ART are ALL using the P25 800MHz system. The COUNTY 700 MHz system is what Sheriff, County Fire, EMS etc use, and you should NOT hear anything county related on the 800 City system. With the exception of maybe an patch occasionally and Fire Med.

CITY SYSTEM: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9081
COUNTY SYSTEM: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7152
STATE SYSTEM: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7118

These are all SEPARATE SYSTEMS! Each must be programmed in as an separate P25 Standard System (since the 996P2 is pretty much the same as the 996XT with P25 Phase II added should be same options)...

I hear all Fire channels.. and the gargled transmission from BCSD and thats it.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Try this....

It has ONLY the City and County TRS systems. If it works, you can add to it rather simply.

Attachments

• Buncombe County.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 18

Granaas6

Feed Provider
Try this....

It has ONLY the City and County TRS systems. If it works, you can add to it rather simply.

Thank you. Yes, I have the latest FreeScan.
I have deleted all systems and added yours. I will be back in AVL tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I live on the county border so I probably won't hear anything from home but I will be monitoring. Again, thanks!

Granaas6

Feed Provider
Try this....

Spent the day driving around Asheville and used exactly what you sent. Still the same. BCSD from the Detention Center - Encrypted and nothing else. I even had my close call on. I drove by 2 MVA's with police on scene and no close call captures. See these short videos I made today from the west side.

https://youtu.be/v_crhNDeepU

https://youtu.be/TH5KP_4njWc

Status
Not open for further replies.