VIPER in Person County Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aslinc

Newbie here on site so excuse me if I am not posting correctly or not in the right place. I live in Person County NC and it seems about everything here is going to this Viper system radio that everyone on this thread is talking about so I am trying to learn as much as I can about what to buy and what all I will need in order to continue to monitor local traffic from PD, Sheriff, EMS & Fire at both my business and home locations. I know they are doing final testing on the new system (whatever that is) to switch over. I have read through this thread and see the names of a few units but would like to confirm models & procedures it will take to get me where I need to be. Thanks in advance for any help.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR! I have moved your post to it's own thread where you will get more support.

Marshall KE4ZNR

troymail

Silent Key
Last edited:

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
Saw this notice earlier today - great price for a great radio that will work with VIPER:

https://forums.radioreference.com/w...065-222-thursday-02-22-2018-one-day-only.html

EDIT/add: I do see a non-VIPER DMR conventional frequency for Roxboro PD (155.535) that the above radio cannot receive/decode.

Roxboro PD went to DMR before the switch to VIPER but they are broadcasting on viper and DMR. The sheriff and Roxboro use Channel 2 155.250 DMR which is encrypted for secure communications so we cant hear them on that anyways. But everything else is on viper and in the clear so this scanner will take care of your needs. I live across the state line and work there in Roxboro so if I can be of assistance feel free to pm me anytime.

BCasto

Premium Subscriber
Roxboro PD DMR booms in here near Raleigh. You should have no problem getting it. Don't forget NCSHP and Forest Service frequencies. They often still use the low band non-Viper frequencies. Keep in mind that some are Analog and some Digital. Welcome to the Group.

aslinc

Thanks for the welcome. I not sure of the model numbers but will post later in this post but at home I have 2 scanners. (1) Radio Shack Pro-136, (1) Radio Shack Pro 2016. At my office/shop I have a Uniden but not sure of the model number. My back ground in Radio/Scanners have been basically plug it in and program some frequencies in and let it go. We constantly have one on at either location. as of right now I'm still picking up Person County Sheriff Dept., EMS & Roxboro Fire. Roxboro Police Dept stop transmitting on my scanners probably a year or so ago. All of these agencies are in & out of the shop every week and all have told me everything will be switching over within the next few weeks. They have making trial runs and are about ready to go live on this so called "new system". I'm not sure what this new system is nor do I know anything about what is out there. So, Im truly new to learning about what this is all about. I would like to get what I need for each location so it would not be for mobile. I can keep what I have in place until it finally goes totally quiet.

What is DMR & Viper?

troymail

Silent Key
What is DMR & Viper?

VIPER is the statewide radio system... I assumed you knew something about it already since that was in the title of your original post. Many counties (including mine) use it as their primary public safety system while others (usually larger counties) go there own way and build/operate their own system. VIPER is a P25 Phase 1 digital trunk system - more or less the digital public safety standard.

DMR is one of several digital modes - mostly used by businesses - it is a lower cost option when it comes to going digital. DMR (and NXDN - yet another digital mode) is (are) used by some public safety organizations for various reasons - cost being one (as mentioned) but it could be for other reasons.

So - when if comes to a scanner, for basic minimal monitoring, you can probably pick up a new P25 Phase 1 radio (at times?) in the $250? range. However, keep in mind these radios will not handle DMR (or NXDN) - or P25 Phase 2. You may not need these additional modes - at least right now (simmsrep appears to indicate that the Roxboro PD DMR is simulcast on VIPER). From what I've heard, VIPER is going to remain P25 Phase 1 for the foreseeable future (even though they are slowly/gradually updating their licenses to permit Phase 2 as some point in the future).

That said, many will tell you that you should spend more on a more current and more capable scanner that does offer P25 Phase 2, DMR, and/or NXDN. It all comes down to how much you want to spend and what you really need. Just keep in mind a couple of things - Uniden will sell you a radio that does P25 (Phase 1 and Phase 2) but then will charge you more to add DMR capability (and other modes) as options.

You are probably looking at (low end) $425 or so for a P25 Phase 2/DMR solution.

The starting point for your decision really needs to be "how much do I want to (can I afford) to spend?".

As far as expense - the newer the model, the more they cost. If you want to keep the cost at a minimum, stick to the older but capable model(s). If you're willing to spend more, then perhaps go with something that is more "future proof" (but really isn't). On the extreme end, there's almost always something new around the corner that should be better - just be prepared to pay top dollar when that time comes... Note: none of the scanner/radio vendors tells you in advance if/when something new is coming -- usually not until it is ready or nearly ready for market - so the answer to your question "is something new coming soon?" - only the manufacturers know and they ain't talkin').

Decisions, decisions - and only you can make them!

aslinc

Thank you for the through explanation above.....I'm looking now trying to make that decision on which unit to go with. I'll post on which one I decide to go with. Thanks again for all this help guys.

aslinc

Okay, update on scanner selection. I decided to shop locally and bought the Whistler TRX-2 an got free programming for my local area. So far just 8 hours into listening and I'm totally satisfied with the decision. So I will keep you updated on the usage with the unit. Thanks again for all the help.

Scott

troymail

Silent Key
Okay, update on scanner selection. I decided to shop locally and bought the Whistler TRX-2 an got free programming for my local area. So far just 8 hours into listening and I'm totally satisfied with the decision. So I will keep you updated on the usage with the unit. Thanks again for all the help.

Scott

Excellent.... we're here to help!

STRONG recommendation! If someone else programmed it for you, the FIRST thing I would do is make a backup of that programming. The best thing would be to make sure you back up a copy of that programming to your PC using EZ Scan. Once that is done, I would then create an archive and set it aside for safe keeping...

Status
Not open for further replies.