Baofeng uv5r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil6

I know I can't hear duke energy or pike electric cause I don't have the right radio but I was wondering if they can find my frequency if they need to I was at a place where I didn't have any type of cell phone service so i couldn't talk to them and they couldn't talk to me unless they use the radio but they didn't so could they find the frequency that I was on if they wanted to Chuck

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Little difficult to understand your question(?) with no punctuation, but I'm going with an answer of no.

see millions of people buying this Baofeng uv5r Radio and wanting to talk to everyone just to find out it's NOT Digital or 800MHZ SMH

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, I think this is what you are asking, correct me if I'm wrong:

I know I can't hear duke energy or pike electric because I don't have the right radio, but I was wondering if they can find my frequency if they need to.

What is "your" frequency? Do you have a valid FCC license for "your" frequency?

Simple answer is - unlikely, unless their radios are programmed with a frequency (or frequency pair) and CTCSS or DCS tone that matches your radio.

That's pretty far fetched. Commercial radios, like used by a utility, are only legally allowed to be programmed to frequencies they are licensed for by the FCC, -just-like-yours-

Their radios cannot be adjusted on the "fly", they are programmed by their radio shop.

Unless they are licensed by the FCC for the same frequencies you are licensed for, then, the answer would be no.

I was at a place where I didn't have any type of cell phone service.

I couldn't talk to them and they couldn't talk to me unless they use the radio but they didn't.

Like I said above, it doesn't work that way.
1. Their radios are set up by their radio shop to transmit on frequencies they are legally allowed to use by the FCC.
2. Electric utilities are not in the business of making random radio contacts with consumers.
3. Their crews are electrical workers, not radio guys.
4. You should not be transmitting on their frequencies unless you hold a valid FCC license for those specific frequencies.

So could they find the frequency that I was on if they wanted to?

Chuck

Unless their radios are programmed to work on the same licensed frequencies you are, no.
Their commercial radios are not "frequency agile", they require programming via computer, and like I said above, that is limited to frequencies they are licensed for by the FCC.

They wouldn't be able to "find" you unless the radios are programmed the same.

Doesn't matter where you purchased your radios from or what someone on the internet says, you DO require an FCC license to use them.

Wil6

I will have my license in about one week from this Saturday which will be on the 17 of this month like I said I work in traffic control and we go where Duke and Pike go my job is make sure they are safe and us to so when we get to an area with no electricity or cell phone service I don't feel safe cause I can't get in touch with no one maybe next time I'll give the foreman one of our Motorola talk abouts or get a new phone thanks again Chuck

I will have my license in about one week from this Saturday which will be on the 17 of this month like I said I work in traffic control and we go where Duke and Pike go my job is make sure they are safe and us to so when we get to an area with no electricity or cell phone service I don't feel safe cause I can't get in touch with no one maybe next time I'll give the foreman one of our Motorola talk abouts or get a new phone thanks again Chuck

What License???

paulears

You've not understood what people are saying. The radios that business users have are NOT user programmable. The users have no way of reprogramming them to talk to other radio users - licence or no licence. What kind off licence will you have in a weeks time? When your work send you to where Duke and Pike (whoever or whatever they are) do they give you a Duke or Pike radio if your job is to keep them safe?) If safety is in your remit, then a Baofeng would not be a radio for safety critical work. If the Duke and Pike radio systems are analogue and within the bands your radio could be programmed to, then you could with the right info make them work. However, if your employer has a radio licence, then this may (depending on the US rules, which I don't know) not let you use the Baofeng.

If I'm reading between the lines, it would simply be nice to talk to the other guys you work with who have legitimate radios, and you want to join in with your own radio? If this is the case, technically it may be possible - but probably illegal to do.

If you have just passed the ham licence, remember this has nothing to do whatsoever with talking to non-hams. being a radio ham is a hobby where you can do quite a lot - talking to business users isn't covered. I suspect you need to do some more research.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If the database holds true, which I kinda doubt being it was last updated in 2012, then Duke is using an Opensky 800mhz system. So that's going to be a big nope on being able to communicate with a baofeng.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I will have my license in about one week from this Saturday which will be on the 17 of this month

What kind of license?

like I said I work in traffic control and we go where Duke and Pike go my job is make sure they are safe and us to so when we get to an area with no electricity or cell phone service I don't feel safe cause I can't get in touch with no one

OK, so you are providing traffic control for the line crews. Got it.
Safe and BaoFeng radios are not two terms I'd put together. While it may be what you have now, get rid of the $10 Chinese toy and get a proper radio if someones life is depending on it.

maybe next time I'll give the foreman one of our Motorola talk abouts or get a new phone thanks again Chuck

This is the proper way to do it.
You give them one of your radios.
-or-
They loan you one of their radios.

FCC rules are very specific about programming frequencies you are not licensed for into your radios. Traffic control crews and Electric utility crews, even when working on emergency repairs, are not exempt from these rules.

Wil6

Ok I was just wondering but i should have my fcc license a week from Saturday so I'll be listening and talking with who will say hello I may find me another scanner with the trunking system on it so I be able to find out what's going on when I get bored

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ok I was just wondering. I should have my fcc license a week from Saturday at which point I'll be listening and talking with coworkers. I may find me another scanner that can monitor trunking systems so I be informed when I get bored

I mean this in the nicest and most positive way possible but please use punctuation
in your future posts. Helping you out is very difficult when proper punctuation is not used.
Look at how I edited your post and notice how much easier it is to read.
Now you say "fcc license"....are you talking about an Amateur "Ham" Radio License or a GROL License? I have both but I am unclear as to what type of license you are referring to.
Having either and/or both does not give you the right to jump on business band frequencies.
Help us help you by being more descriptive in your posts.

Marshall KE4ZNR

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Ok I was just wondering but i should have my fcc license a week from Saturday so I'll be listening and talking with who will say hello I may find me another scanner with the trunking system on it so I be able to find out what's going on when I get bored

Unless there's some new system that Duke Energy is using besides what's in the database you aren't going to be able to hear them on a scanner either. There's no scanner manufactured that can monitor Opensky. Can't speak for Pike as I have no idea what radios they use.

Wil6

I mean this in the nicest and most positive way possible but please use punctuation
in your future posts. Helping you out is very difficult when proper punctuation is not used.
Look at how I edited your post and notice how much easier it is to read.
Now you say "fcc license"....are you talking about an Amateur "Ham" Radio License or a GROL License? I have both but I am unclear as to what type of license you are referring to.
Having either and/or both does not give you the right to jump on business band frequencies.
Help us help you by being more descriptive in your posts.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks for your help.and I'll be taking the FCC license technical exam. For now that's all I really need cause I'm not planning to get a bigger radio right now

Thanks for your help.and I'll be taking the FCC license technical exam. For now that's all I really need cause I'm not planning to get a bigger radio right now

i do hope you know if you get your ham license does not mean you can talk on millions of channels you may end up in big trouble just saying...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
FCC license technical

Amateur Radio Technician Class License?

That covers the amateur radio bands ONLY. It does not permit you to transmit with ANY radio on any other frequencies.
You cannot use an amateur radio license for running your business, that is strictly prohibited and will get reported by other amateur radio operators pretty quickly. Also, the amateur radio licenses ONLY cover the individual who's name is on the license, no one else.

I understand you are new to this and I understand you are looking for help, but from your questions, you are in a bit over your head.

Taking a step back and fully answering some of the questions you've been asked would really help us get you pointed in the right direction, help you stay legal, and help keep you out of trouble.

It's not hard to do this right, in fact, if you are running a business, it's really easy to get licensed for business use. Probably a lot easier than getting your amateur radio license.

Status
Not open for further replies.