What type of scanner do I need in Union county?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrh143

It seems the more I read, the more I get confusing, incomplete, or contradictory information. Can someone please tell me what TYPE of scanner I need to listen in on public safety in my area? Analog? Digital? I don't necessarily need to listen to the State Troopers who (I believe) are all using VIPER now, but I'd very much like to hear the Union county sheriff, the Wingate Police, the Wingate fire department, and the police and fire in Monroe. Perhaps even dispatch/communications of the hospital/ER in Monroe...?

Thank you in advance for chiming in here to help a newb cut through the fog and learn!

- John

SCPD

QRT
OK I looked at your previous posts and see that you really need to have an understanding of the basics first before getting a scanner. The conventional non-digital scanners will work to some extent from what I can gather but you probably will or should have a digital. It's more expensive. But used and Whistler refurb sales happen and you need to keep an eye out. Good luck.

jrh143

OK I looked at your previous posts and see that you really need to have an understanding of the basics first before getting a scanner. The conventional non-digital scanners will work to some extent from what I can gather but you probably will or should have a digital. It's more expensive. But used and Whistler refurb sales happen and you need to keep an eye out. Good luck.

Thanks for the answers. I've looked at the link you posted many, many times in the past year or so, and honestly, I don't know how the answer is on that page. You're right, though; I really do need to understand the basics. I'm just looking for a piece of the puzzle I can identify at this moment. The other pieces I'm missing I can't identify yet. "I don't know what I don't know" as the saying goes.

Digital scanners ARE more expensive! I was hoping the answer would be, "Nah! Analog will work just fine in your area." C'est la vie! I'll keep my eyes open for decent digital scanner deals.

In related news, I have several BaoFeng brand walkies that operate in the 400's range. I used Chirp software to re-program one of them to the frequencies on the page you linked to above that are in the 400's, but they don't seem to be picking anything up. Not sure if I did something wrong or if the radios are just incapable of performing as scanners for the given freq's. If I could get them to work, I'd forgo buying a scanner for a little while. I'm just trying to get into this after all.

jrh143

I had forgotten I'd posted a different question here last year! I stopped looking into it shortly after that post. thanks for pointing me back to it so I could re-read everything.

kg4pbd

It seems the more I read, the more I get confusing, incomplete, or contradictory information. Can someone please tell me what TYPE of scanner I need to listen in on public safety in my area? Analog? Digital? I don't necessarily need to listen to the State Troopers who (I believe) are all using VIPER now, but I'd very much like to hear the Union county sheriff, the Wingate Police, the Wingate fire department, and the police and fire in Monroe. Perhaps even dispatch/communications of the hospital/ER in Monroe...?

Thank you in advance for chiming in here to help a newb cut through the fog and learn!

- John

Union County S.O. is on the Union site of the Charlotte UASI system. You will need a digital scanner to follow those talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.