Unication G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancrosoft

Can anyone tell me the best place to buy a G5? I am tired of the distortion on my TRX1 when monitoring the USAI system.

Ready to pull the trigger and have clean audio :)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
2nd that on RAY'S. I got my G5-v Pager there as well as the Charger/Amp. Great service and prices. GOOD for YOU that you are putting the Whistler on the bench. I had to do the same with my WS1080. I was shocked to hear my 2004 Pro96 doing far better than the WS1080 when it came to P25 Simulcast reception and digital 400mhz reception. The G4/G5s are fantastic. The scanners don't compare. Right tool for the right job.

dancrosoft

2nd that on RAY'S. I got my G5-v Pager there as well as the Charger/Amp. Great service and prices. GOOD for YOU that you are putting the Whistler on the bench. I had to do the same with my WS1080. I was shocked to hear my 2004 Pro96 doing far better than the WS1080 when it came to P25 Simulcast reception and digital 400mhz reception. The G4/G5s are fantastic. The scanners don't compare. Right tool for the right job.

Thanks!

Will def buy from Rays then :)

One last question - Can anyone recommend which version I should get? I am assuming the 136-174? Not sure which one would be best for the charlotte area. I like being able to pick up the conventional medic/FD freqs too if that is an option/the reason for the different versions.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
That's why I got the Vhf version. I like to have one Zone for Scanning NOAA Weather freqs wherever I might be in a free-scan setting. Also have Conventional Zones for those analog freqs still around me. Not sure which the internal antenna is best on? VHF or UHF? there is no outside antenna for those. The little antenna is only for 700/800mhz. Even with that? I still get VHF 155.000 from a county away and works great when there are analog freqs in town. Just depends what is most important to your area that you want to listen to besides P25 digital

dancrosoft

That's why I got the Vhf version. I like to have one Zone for Scanning NOAA Weather freqs wherever I might be in a free-scan setting. Also have Conventional Zones for those analog freqs still around me. Not sure which the internal antenna is best on? VHF or UHF? there is no outside antenna for those. The little antenna is only for 700/800mhz. Even with that? I still get VHF 155.000 from a county away and works great when there are analog freqs in town. Just depends what is most important to your area that you want to listen to besides P25 digital

Thanks you again kind sir. G5 purchased. I shall anxiously await the postman whilst I look forward to the days of clean P25 audio!

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
bought mine from east coast pagers and I can hear everything!
except for some of the encrypted stuff of course :)

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Rays pager sales gets my vote. Picked up 12 for work and got off the phone a few minutes ago with him to order 6 desk top chargers.

dancrosoft

Can anyone advise what is the maxish number of TGs I should program in this thing? I think I recall reading a thread where a guy put in a TON and it slowed the device down horribly.

kg4pbd

Can anyone advise what is the maxish number of TGs I should program in this thing? I think I recall reading a thread where a guy put in a TON and it slowed the device down horribly.

I haven't noticed the number of talkgroups slowing the device down. What I have noticed is that the more talkgroups and systems I have in the radio, there can be an issue with the signal dropping following a transmission. In my experience I've noticed this occurring only on patched talkgroups. The Phase 2 upgrade firmware seems to have greatly reduced this issue. It didn't eliminate it but it's much better than before.

I did create a small code plug with just my local CMPD division, and a couple other talkgroups. With that code plug I don't have any signal drop at all, so it appears it could be related to the number of talkgroups and systems in the radio. The typical code plug I have in the radio has around 500 talkgroups, and multiple systems (UASI multiple sites, VIPER, and SC Palm 800).

Just create what you want, see how it goes, and tweak from there.

dancrosoft

I haven't noticed the number of talkgroups slowing the device down. What I have noticed is that the more talkgroups and systems I have in the radio, there can be an issue with the signal dropping following a transmission. In my experience I've noticed this occurring only on patched talkgroups. The Phase 2 upgrade firmware seems to have greatly reduced this issue. It didn't eliminate it but it's much better than before.

I did create a small code plug with just my local CMPD division, and a couple other talkgroups. With that code plug I don't have any signal drop at all, so it appears it could be related to the number of talkgroups and systems in the radio. The typical code plug I have in the radio has around 500 talkgroups, and multiple systems (UASI multiple sites, VIPER, and SC Palm 800).

Just create what you want, see how it goes, and tweak from there.

Thanks you kind human and HELLO to a fellow Char-Mek resident :)

I setup a knob just for SCU and Conf. All of the good stuff happens over there at night. I was serenaded to sleep last night by a search warrant planning and execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.