RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2018, 5:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommul05 View Post
So I got the 436 today... I have created a favorites list in the PC software, I have entered talkgroups in Union and Meck.. When I wrote to the scanner if I have it on hold on like CMPD Hickory Grove Div Dispatch it looks to be scanning the Meck and Union Simulcast site, or at least its flashing between those two.. I am not hearing nothing n the channel either so I think I have done something wrong.. When I did zip code search it added all sorts of stuff even SC... So I then tried it by the Sentinel... I want to monitor CMPD, Meck Fire and EMS... Then Union Fire and EMS and Union Sheriff... That's really all for now... Any quick tips on how I maybe set it up wrong..... Thanks in advance
Make sure you go into to "Edit Site", and change digital threshold mode to "manual", and set digital threshold level to "8",

Are you using the stock antenna that came with the radio? If so you aren't getting the best performance.
Something like this will work better:

800 MHz 2.5db Gain Professional Portable SMA Antenna | Scanner Master

Or this one:

REMTRONIX 800 MHz Portable SMA Antenna | ScannerMaster.com

The Remtronix is an old favorite.

If you are trying to monitor Charlotte talkgroups try holding on the Charlotte site and see if that helps. If you hold on a talkgroup you should see "dat" in the lower right corner of the screen. It may flash on and off depending on signal quality.

Lastly, many Charlotte PD divisions are patched, so you may find Hickory Grove on the Independence talkgroup and vice versa. The latest firmware for the 436 is supposed to handle patched talkgroups however it doesn't always work, particularly when you aren't getting a good decode on the system.
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2018, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4pbd View Post
Make sure you go into to "Edit Site", and change digital threshold mode to "manual", and set digital threshold level to "8"
With the newer firmware, that is bad advice--they changed the threshold voltages linked to each setting to accommodate a wider variety of systems. Auto is best, unless you are dealing with simulcast, in which case the best manual value will vary from site to site, even on the same system.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
With the newer firmware, that is bad advice--they changed the threshold voltages linked to each setting to accommodate a wider variety of systems. Auto is best, unless you are dealing with simulcast, in which case the best manual value will vary from site to site, even on the same system.
It is a simulcast site! That's why I suggested it! Typically the threshold works best here on 7 or 8.

So please tell me just how it is bad advice?
Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 AM

The best manual threshold value changed a few weeks ago with the new firmware version. And it varies site to site and scanner to scanner. So the best manual value for you isn't necessarily the best manual value for someone else.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
The best manual threshold value changed a few weeks ago with the new firmware version. And it varies site to site and scanner to scanner. So the best manual value for you isn't necessarily the best manual value for someone else.
I realize that. I'm trying to help someone who is listening to the same system and sites that I am, and I"m suggesting he tries things that work for me. You are wrong in saying it is bad advice.....
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4pbd View Post
I realize that. I'm trying to help someone who is listening to the same system and sites that I am, and I"m suggesting he tries things that work for me. You are wrong in saying it is bad advice.....
Scott - I definitely appreciate the advice! I actually got pissed at the reception today and sent the 436 back. I ordered the SDS-100 should be here Wednesday.. With all I have seen it is supposed to handle the simulcast and poor reception areas better... I am not in a hole but I am in a two story house that is in an area that for some reason has a lot of dead spots.. Do you know if those antennas you recommended will work on the SDS? If so I think I will order one of those tonight also... I have got to read up more too, I think I saw I can have 2 favorite lists one with Char MEck and one with Union then somehow toggle through to only listen to (or scan) one system at a time.. I didn't figure that out yet, but many talked about being able to do so... Thanks again for the input, it is well appreciated, brother..
Old 06-09-2018, 8:49 PM

Neither SMA antenna is likely to work with the SDS-100. Get the BNC version of the Remtronix if you're mainly listening to 800MHz, or the Diamond RH77CA if you listen to VHF anything.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Scott - I definitely appreciate the advice! I actually got pissed at the reception today and sent the 436 back. I ordered the SDS-100 should be here Wednesday.. With all I have seen it is supposed to handle the simulcast and poor reception areas better... I am not in a hole but I am in a two story house that is in an area that for some reason has a lot of dead spots.. Do you know if those antennas you recommended will work on the SDS? If so I think I will order one of those tonight also... I have got to read up more too, I think I saw I can have 2 favorite lists one with Char MEck and one with Union then somehow toggle through to only listen to (or scan) one system at a time.. I didn't figure that out yet, but many talked about being able to do so... Thanks again for the input, it is well appreciated, brother..
Congrats on the SDS! I don't have one yet but from what I've heard you will be very pleased.
Old 06-12-2018, 5:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thinking this was just Ann antenna issue if you were using the one that came with 436. I have best reception with a ducky 800mhz.
Old 06-18-2018, 9:53 AM

Default Char Meck Simulcast - Mint Hill PD - Old Char-Meck System

I programmed several things in on the charlotte UASI, specifically I am wondering about the sites... Do you leave all the simulcast sites on and programmed or delete ones that are not near me? Specifically I am listening to Union County mostly, so I only have the Union Simulcast site associated to that favorites list, does this sound correct? Then on the Char-Meck Side, I only have the Mecklenburg Simulcast site associated with those channels, I deleted the Cherryville, Gaston, etc.. So far it is working good, I am just trying to be sure what I am doing sounds correct(ish)

Secondly, is the old Charlotte Mecklenburg System in use at all? the OF18 system?

Lastly, Mint Hill Police show only one talkgroup on the UASI site, it is Dispatch.. I am pretty sure that Pineville PD dispatch them and I am fairly certain that Mint Hill uses at least a side channel or conference for talkaround, anyone have any knowledge on that one??

As always, thanks guys!!
Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 AM

It is totally fine to not delete sites.

Just make sure Location Control is enabled in your favorite list, and your scanner's Range is set to 5 miles or less (unless you want to scan a lot of sites).
Old 06-29-2018, 12:38 PM

Help, need a lot of help. I bought a BCD536HP 3 years ago. Had it optimized at Scanner Master for my county. Tried to make it work but kept locking onto FM radio stations, wx, an annoying humm that I was told was a control channel, etc... So frustrated that I have left it shut off for the past 2 years. This week, I am trying to get it restarted. Many problems, the micro SD card failed and I had to replace it, the real-time clock failed and I have to send the scanner in. Was successful in upgrading the firmware. But when trying to update the frequency database, was told an error. My pc told me I needed to update something regarding .NET Framework. City of Charlotte has since rebanded here and other frequencies have changed. Now there is something called "DMR' & "NXDN"??? Depending on which source of info I look at for frequencies, it could be Motorola Type II SmartZone, or Conventional or Project 25 or LTR or one other that I can't think of. I go to Radio Reference for Mecklenburg County, but there is nothing about Charlotte Fire Dept. I searched under City of Charlotte and the fire dept. is not listed. At FCC.gov I need to have the frequency before I can do anything else. I don't really know where to start at this point.
Old 06-29-2018, 1:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusR7 View Post
Help, need a lot of help. I bought a BCD536HP 3 years ago. Had it optimized at Scanner Master for my county. Tried to make it work but kept locking onto FM radio stations, wx, an annoying humm that I was told was a control channel, etc... So frustrated that I have left it shut off for the past 2 years. This week, I am trying to get it restarted. Many problems, the micro SD card failed and I had to replace it, the real-time clock failed and I have to send the scanner in. Was successful in upgrading the firmware. But when trying to update the frequency database, was told an error. My pc told me I needed to update something regarding .NET Framework. City of Charlotte has since rebanded here and other frequencies have changed. Now there is something called "DMR' & "NXDN"??? Depending on which source of info I look at for frequencies, it could be Motorola Type II SmartZone, or Conventional or Project 25 or LTR or one other that I can't think of. I go to Radio Reference for Mecklenburg County, but there is nothing about Charlotte Fire Dept. I searched under City of Charlotte and the fire dept. is not listed. At FCC.gov I need to have the frequency before I can do anything else. I don't really know where to start at this point.
For starters, City of Charlotte fire is on the Charlotte UASI system:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6561

This is a P25 simulcast system. If you are in Charlotte you need to listen to the Mecklenburg simulcast site.

Since this is a multi-county system you have to scroll down a bit to get to Mecklenburg county, and you will find CFD listed there

If you want city of Charlotte services this is the system you need.
Old 06-29-2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Help, need a lot of help. I bought a BCD536HP 3 years ago. Had it optimized at Scanner Master for my county. Tried to make it work but kept locking onto FM radio stations, wx, an annoying humm that I was told was a control channel, etc... So frustrated that I have left it shut off for the past 2 years.
There is no substitute for learning how to operate your scanner yourself. Relying on someone else to program your scanner for you is pretty much like hiring a gigolo for your S.O. You're going to be a lot happier and lest frustrated in the long run learning to do it yourself.

Quote:
This week, I am trying to get it restarted. Many problems, the micro SD card failed and I had to replace it, the real-time clock failed and I have to send the scanner in.
What is the serial number of your scanner? The clock may not have failed, leaving the scanner unplugged for 2 years will make any scanner lose its clock settings. Let it run for a while, and see if it starts keeping its clock settings again.

Quote:
Was successful in upgrading the firmware. But when trying to update the frequency database, was told an error. My pc told me I needed to update something regarding .NET Framework.
You need to update Sentinel, you're about 3 versions behind unless you just installed it. Installing the latest Sentinel (new version just released today) should fix the problem:
BCDx36HPSentinel < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Old 07-27-2018, 7:35 PM

Need HELP with a Uniden BCD536HP.Trying to scan Charlotte (city) Fire Dept. I went to Radio Reference and there is nothing regarding Charlotte FD. I went to the FCC.gov database but that does not give "Charlotte Fire Dept" radio frequencies. It may have what I am looking for, if I knew what the dept call sign was. City of Charlotte has a pile of radio frequencies only listed as Charlotte, City of. I cannot even find out if we have P25 phase 1, EDACS, DMR, I just don't know. I spent over $600 for this scanner and have had it over 3 years, been sent back 4 times and now cost have exceeded $1000 and the scanner still does not work. I'll pay somebody to fix this and show me how to work it.
Old 07-27-2018, 7:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Need HELP with a Uniden BCD536HP.Trying to scan Charlotte (city) Fire Dept. I went to Radio Reference and there is nothing regarding Charlotte FD. I went to the FCC.gov database but that does not give "Charlotte Fire Dept" radio frequencies. It may have what I am looking for, if I knew what the dept call sign was. City of Charlotte has a pile of radio frequencies only listed as Charlotte, City of. I cannot even find out if we have P25 phase 1, EDACS, DMR, I just don't know. I spent over $600 for this scanner and have had it over 3 years, been sent back 4 times and now cost have exceeded $1000 and the scanner still does not work. I'll pay somebody to fix this and show me how to work it.
Charlotte Fire is on the Charlotte UASI system. You have to scroll down to Mecklenburg County to see the CFD talkgroups:

Charlotte UASI Trunking System, Charlotte, North Carolina - Scanner Frequencies

Last edited by kg4pbd; 07-27-2018 at 7:41 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 07-29-2018, 7:40 PM

How the SDS100 working in the north end system ? I am getting tired of the bcd436hp going in and out .I am about to buy the new unit just because of this problem. Thanks for the info .