Illegal Transmissions on 453.700 tonight??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I live in the Charlotte/Hickory Metro area. Has anybody else, besides me, been listening to the popular Law Enforcement Mutual Aid channel, 453.700 mhz? For the past few hours there has been conversation back-and-forth between people on that channel, speaking like they were on a HAM radio like normal conversation, including 1 person that was literally whispering something a couple minutes ago about a murder and nobody would catch him. The entire time tonight the PL code registering is 192.8 meaning they're using the Randolph County Sheriff Mutual Aid PL tone. Unfortunately I totally forgot to set my BCD536HP to record earlier so I wasn't able to catch records of the transmissions. I was hoping others may have heard it too. I was going to file a complaint with the FCC for "Illegal Interference of a Public Safety Channel" but now without my recordings I have no proof... Or was I the only one that heard it all? Thanks!

David

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Probably these cheap Chinese radios. I reported something like this years ago, and they told be the actual licensee of that frequency has to be the one to file a complaint.

So even if it's a police frequency the licensee has to report it and not the public that hears the infraction??

SCPD

QRT
I have no doubt they are investigating it and a console is recording the entire convo along with eventially triangulation, specially if its a voted system . Though ham operators have been known to track down rogue transmissions and report findings to the said entity who is licensed to it.

Are you positive that was coming through Randolph County?

That PL tone is popular in Gaston County is well. I know the RRDB shows no tone but Lincoln & Gaston have tones so they don't drive each other nuts. When I lived there both Mutual Aid repeaters used often, and one County would switch to the other County and vice a versa for various calls near the county line.

Either way, at least I will have something analog to listen to when I am up later this week LOL

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I extremely doubt its coming through Randolph. Sheriff's office has been on Viper for a long time now and they use their talkgroups for ops. I don't even know if anyone still has a uhf radio.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Are you positive that was coming through Randolph County?

That PL tone is popular in Gaston County is well. I know the RRDB shows no tone but Lincoln & Gaston have tones so they don't drive each other nuts. When I lived there both Mutual Aid repeaters used often, and one County would switch to the other County and vice a versa for various calls near the county line.

Either way, at least I will have something analog to listen to when I am up later this week LOL

No I'm not positive it's from Randolph, I just said they're using their PL tone. It's possible it's Gaston, yes. But anyone can plug in any PL tone they want to program in so I'm not sure where it's coming from, I just know it's close enough for me to receive it clearly in Lincolnton and Maiden. And it went on for about 4-5 hours in a row, just a group of guys talking back & forth about things that definitely shouldn't be discussed on the radio. the conversations sounded like they were using HAM radio, ranging from discussing where their favorite coach lived to a house their friend is in they haven't seen in a while, and towards the end someone in a low voice that was actually whispering saying there's someone that was murdered and is laying dead in a house right now and that they will never catch the person that did it. It was just a VERY strange several hours conversation that really should not have been done on a Law Enforcement mutual aid channel like that. I'm kicking myself for not enabling my recording like I do every other time I turn my scanner on....

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
That is odd for sure. Wish I was a little closer to give it a listen. Did it sound like they were all simplex? Wouldn't be surprised if people were just randomly talking on the wrong frequency but the fact they are using a pl tone seems weird. Like they knew well enough to figure out how to program a pl but they decided to pick a popular mutual aid frequency just to chat on.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
After a bit of looking around it appears ncdot has several licenses throughout the state for that frequency including a few right in your area. So maybe some dot guys?

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
After a bit of looking around it appears ncdot has several licenses throughout the state for that frequency including a few right in your area. So maybe some dot guys?

I saw the DOT thing, but that's only used at 1 of their sites about 4 hours away from me. doubtful it was coming from there. I do remember just now the first part of the conversation starting out they were talking about "Wow I thought that repeater wasn't working, I guess it still is" and then started all the other talking. Definitely a weird situation. I've got my scanner recording now so we will see if they jump on it again at all tonight. I was just hoping that someone else in my area may have heard it too...

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Yeah that could be too, I've heard Virginia bleedover before, albeit a very rare occurrence.

reconrider8

with temps like this i used to love using my pro106 and the larsen tribander on top of my jeep and scanning around for 800 mhz stations out of va or viper sites way out of the area and picking them up and decoding them. so it could be something crazy like that

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
When the conditions are right it's pretty amazing what you can hear sometimes. I was listening to the Onslow 2 meter machine in Jacksonville one night a few weeks ago and I'm in Randolph county. Came in mostly clear surprisingly. I put 453.700 in my radio and have left it parked this evening. If they were using a repeater I might be able to hear it from here so I figured why not. I can usually get into the Charlotte machines from my house so I thought it couldn't hurt to try.

ipfd320

Banned
Quote from MedicDavid78 Post # 8
the conversations sounded like they were using HAM radio,

Explain to Me What Makes You Believe this is From a Ham Radio--This Can Be From any Radio Made--Was There Something that Jumped Out and Said Im a Ham Radio Talking----Its Really Sad How we as Ham Radio Operators are Getting a Real Bad Rap Lately On Here and Right Away People want to Post and Blame Us For Crap We Dont Even Do

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Being an amateur radio operator myself.... I took it as they sounded informal as compared to public safety. There's most certainly a difference in listening to ham ragchewing vs police department comms. Even if its not dispatch audio itself a tac channel *usually* sounds more professional in nature compared to a group of people talking about things like the OP listed. And while I'm at it can we please stop capitalizing the word ham. It's not an acronym.

ipfd320

Banned
Quote from Above Post (And while I'm at it can we please stop capitalizing the word ham. It's not an acronym.)

Hmmmm Lets See Dont Blame Me---Blame the Poster in Post 8 as I Copied and Pasted it as the Quote Message--Sorry i Didnt Notice it was an Acronym as You Say

As for the Ragchew you Mentioned--This Could have been Anyone It Dosent have to be Ham Operators--It Could be alot of things like posted Above--Skip / dot guys / and who really knows what else---Well Maybe it will Happen Again and a Recording May Be in Play

73,s for Now

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Quote from Above Post (And while I'm at it can we please stop capitalizing the word ham. It's not an acronym.)

Hmmmm Lets See Dont Blame Me---Blame the Poster in Post 8 as I Copied and Pasted it as the Quote Message--Sorry i Didnt Notice it was an Acronym as You Say

As for the Ragchew you Mentioned--This Could have been Anyone It Dosent have to be Ham Operators--It Could be alot of things like posted Above--Skip / dot guys / and who really knows what else---Well Maybe it will Happen Again and a Recording May Be in Play

73,s for Now

Maybe use proper capitalization before you start criticizing someone else’s use of capitals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ipfd320

Banned
Once Again I Didnt Know You Were the Spelling Cop---I Find it Funny How You Show Up Just to Criticise Everyones Posts and Nothing Useful to Say

Status
Not open for further replies.