Topsail Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

Hey guys, question about monitoring in the Topsail Island area.........

This coming week I'm headed down for several days. I'm taking my G5 along for monitoring and it'll be my first time listening to traffic down there. I know the north end of island lies in Onslow County, and in Pender County to the south. I noticed that Pender uses VIPER and Onslow looks to use the Onslow County/City of Jacksonville P25 system. Do they patch TG's together from each system, or do they use both systems depending on where incidents are?

I'm planning to add the VIPER control channels and associated TG's, along with the Onslow system. Just wanted to get an idea of how they do things so I can get the most out of monitoring while there.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I know in the Outer Banks has their own P25 system, the only TG patched to VIPER is EMS channel for Dare MedFlight. But I would think that if they have their own system they wouldn’t be patched at all to VIPER

jdifabio

Premium Subscriber
Hello

Your assumptions are correct, VIPER for Pender and Onslow/Jacksonville for Onslow County. As far as patching I'm not sure (I live on the other end of the county) but if you listen to both those you should not miss much. Also both Onslow and Pender Fire and EMS simulcast on VHF for initial dispatch. Make sure you put VIPER LZ East in, air medical uses that alot for LZ and patient information. Enjoy Joe N2UBI

Onslow and Pender patch talkgroups together if there is an incident going on involving departments from both counties in the area. When they do, you'll hear one of the events talkgroups on the Onslow system patched into one of Pender's Countywide talkgroups on VIPER.

KM4WLV

Thanks for the replies and info guys. I can't remember which part the house lays in where we're going but since I'm using a G5 I won't be scanning both at once. I'll have my portable (XTS2500) with me which has VIPER in it so I'll switch it over the LZ EAST, or any of the other statewide TG's if needed.

(CFP387, I have to sneak out of this county otherwise they wouldn't let me leave lol. I'm gonna need ya'll to keep things to a dull roar while I'm gone lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.