Mil-air in western nc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
We live on the side of a mountain at about 2,600' ASL in Macon County and quite often, we have C-130 aircraft doing training flights in the valley near our mountain. I don't know where the flights are based nor what their specific unit's mission is. Does anyone happen to know about these flights? I'm also very interested in discovering any MIL-AIR frequencies for western NC, e.g., refueling.

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC
Macon County

trumpetman

Database Admin
https://forums.radioreference.com/n...orum/100501-nc-mil-air-discussion-thread.html

Skim through that thread and that should give you an idea on where to start searching. It's focused more on the eastern part of the state but it should clarify bands to search and I believe there might be some tidbits of useful info for the western part of the state.

I usually hear some traffic a few times a week on 353.925 AM (paired with 124.375) for planes transiting through Atlanta Center ARTCC air space. There is also another sector which was once reported to be on 377.050 AM (paired with 121.350) but that is dated info and I haven't been able to verify it. If you can hear the ground station they usually transmit on VHF & UHF at the same time and will be answered on one or the other (military fighters like to use UHF) while the cargo jets will be on VHF, so if you have two receivers it wouldn't hurt to listen on 121.35 and scan 225-380 to find the matched UHF freq.

121.350/377.050? might be a stretch to hear as the transmitter is on Mt Ogelthorpe but 124.375/353.925 should be a little easier as it is a the Harris VOR located at ( 34.942764 -83.915831).

Larry Van Horn is also right down the road from you in Brasstown, he's got some useful stuff on his blog: Milcom Monitoring Post

Hopefully that's a decent start.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
MIL-AIR in Western NC

https://forums.radioreference.com/n...orum/100501-nc-mil-air-discussion-thread.html

Skim through that thread and that should give you an idea on where to start searching. It's focused more on the eastern part of the state but it should clarify bands to search and I believe there might be some tidbits of useful info for the western part of the state.

I usually hear some traffic a few times a week on 353.925 AM (paired with 124.375) for planes transiting through Atlanta Center ARTCC air space. There is also another sector which was once reported to be on 377.050 AM (paired with 121.350) but that is dated info and I haven't been able to verify it. If you can hear the ground station they usually transmit on VHF & UHF at the same time and will be answered on one or the other (military fighters like to use UHF) while the cargo jets will be on VHF, so if you have two receivers it wouldn't hurt to listen on 121.35 and scan 225-380 to find the matched UHF freq.

121.350/377.050? might be a stretch to hear as the transmitter is on Mt Ogelthorpe but 124.375/353.925 should be a little easier as it is a the Harris VOR located at ( 34.942764 -83.915831).

Larry Van Horn is also right down the road from you in Brasstown, he's got some useful stuff on his blog: Milcom Monitoring Post

Hopefully that's a decent start.

That is a great start, Trumpetman! Thank you very much for taking the time to provide that detail. I will definitely pursue your suggestions.

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

ZapZ

Premium Subscriber
Mil Air 9/13/18

Listen to 311.525 for the next few days. Heard a bunch of Mil-Coms the last two days. Wed. was dog-fighting with luftee flights. Tue. was mil flights trying to find a place to land. The talk was about Knoxville and then Chattanooga. Three elements where involved. The Wed. talk was about bombing in the Snowbird MOA which is 11,00 feet at sea-level and above you. Look at htEEtEEps://sua.faa.gov/sua/lkSched.jsp?asname=SNOWBIRD%20MOA. Take out the EE's for the times. 4 to 6 PM your time and again at 8 to 10 PM.

Zapz10

Status
Not open for further replies.