Div of Forestry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

I have been scanning the 151.xxx frequencies for awhile and get nothing. In my area (WNC) 151.475 and 151.175 used to be active but am wondering if a possible frequency change or a move to VIPER is happening. I actually live close to the district office and do not see 800 MHz antennas and everything still has VHF antennas.

Thanks

wtp

from an old list

of assigned frequencies and types.
but now they could be anywhere.
try
151.145 to 151.475
159.225 to 159.465
and then try to expand a little at a time.

AlphaFive

Forestry

I don't monitor V.I.P.E.R. that often, I am a searcher. But here is what I have picked up in Ashevegas over time, confirmed. hope it helps a little.

51991 N.C. FORESTRY SERVICE
52109 WRC FAR WEST DIST 9 091618
52110 WRC FAR WEST DIST 9 COMMON
60643 U.S. FORESTRY SERVICE OPS 1

N.C. State Forest.. 151.175 N.C. Forest Service mobile relay, WQEU844 is cancelled.
151.265 Arboretum in Asheville WPTK645, probably additional freqs on the license
151.445 Statewide Mobile WPGM564
151.475 Statewide repeater WQCA321
These are all last received as of 08/13/18. There are others on the list, but I have searching to do, have fun, take care.
The three listed current licenses I believe contain multiple frequencies, if I remember right. I just don't have them built into a system yet.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
NCFS is very much still on VHF, they just don't talk that much unless there are a lot of fires happening. Daily response to assist counties usually happens on the county radio system.

151.475 is still in use for D1 Asheville, and 151.175 is for D9 Sylva.

There is limited VIPER use throughout the state but primary ops are still on VHF. Listen around 0900 and 1400-1500 for daily fire weather forecasts and rangers calling into district HQ with overnight fire reports and staffing reports.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
When I interviewed for a position with them.

They used cell phones to communicate.

Trumpetman 12 can probably elaborate on this better than I can.

They had an internal type communications between their cell phones for sending information internally.

This was not a texting type systems like have on our phones.

The district forester told me that some foresters carry as many as three radios.

One for the county they serve in, One for forestry communications and finally one for Viper.

Plus the voice pager carried for alerting them in the county they serve

When I was in the radio shop I noticed one had a Motorola APX-8000 sitting on the desk

Naturally I was looking at it the thing and it was loaded with just about everything with Viper and all the

UHF and VHF frequencies for District 3

Like I said all the people I talked to and interviewed with all had cell phones not one of them was carrying

a two-way radio..

Not even the Chief Radio Engineer

Hope this helps

David

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.