Buncombe County P25 Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nated1992

As of late last week the buncombe system has completely stopped working in FDMA. I was using SDRTrunk to listen to the system with no problem,

Now using OP25 it is working again. SDRTrunk and Unitrunker both show the system working in TDMA.

Is this across the bored in the county or is anyone still getting Phase one reception?

AJIComm1

I live in Madison County when in Buncombe I can pick up Buncombe P25 using Whitsler 1040. But the VHF county fire page and fire dispatch hit more than the p25 but i can still pick P25 up

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

AlphaFive

Bunc P 25

I built my Buncombe P 25 system out as Phase two only on 08/08. It is working great as I type. Obviously the only thing working to receive properly is the F.D. and interoperability talk groups, but it's good. Take care.

AJIComm1

I built my Buncombe P 25 system out as Phase two only on 08/08. It is working great as I type. Obviously the only thing working to receive properly is the F.D. and interoperability talk groups, but it's good. Take care.
So have they gone phase 2 completely. I was picking up phase 1 last week

AlphaFive

Buncombe

I have not run the system as Phase 1 since August. At that time I was receiving both. The difference between how the two systems operate in general is too much for me to understand. I can only say I receive Phase 2 with no issues...Lance

AJIComm1

I have not run the system as Phase 1 since August. At that time I was receiving both. The difference between how the two systems operate in general is too much for me to understand. I can only say I receive Phase 2 with no issues...Lance
Thanks Lance. I will try to see if i can pick up Phase 1. As i don't currently have a phase 2 scanner

nated1992

It was in what's sorta a dual mode so you could here it generally on both phases 1 and 2 modes but it's now only picking up as phase 2

AlphaFive

WQVL488 Buncombe

For the last few days, I have been completing band searches in the 800 MHz range. I have landed on the four base frequencies for Buncombe County WQVL488. It is licensed for Phase 1 only, which is what it operates on. The license is listed for, and has been listed for the Detention Center use only. It is relatively low power. For the last two days, I have monitored the E.O.C. dispatching routine f.d. / medical calls from this system. I do not have it built and entered as a system, I simply land on the frequencies, giving me the NAC of 303. Buncombe County. I just found it interesting for those wishing to use Phase 1..

nated1992

For the last few days, I have been completing band searches in the 800 MHz range. I have landed on the four base frequencies for Buncombe County WQVL488. It is licensed for Phase 1 only, which is what it operates on. The license is listed for, and has been listed for the Detention Center use only. It is relatively low power. For the last two days, I have monitored the E.O.C. dispatching routine f.d. / medical calls from this system. I do not have it built and entered as a system, I simply land on the frequencies, giving me the NAC of 303. Buncombe County. I just found it interesting for those wishing to use Phase 1..

Hmm I have not attempted to listen to the detention center frequencies, I also dont know that I could receive them from my location... I may play with that later today!
Have you been able to here all the fire talk groups?

AlphaFive

WQVL488

Honestly I wasn't paying attention, I happened to glance at the last one that came up, it was in the 3's, I think it was 3001, that would have been the right neighborhood. The site is listed as Davidson Street, which I had always thought was on the west side of the river, behind West Gate, They have a county building over there. But, if memory serves me, that could also be behind the F.D. / P.D. downtown. Good luck with that, I'm going to dive into searching more.

AJIComm1

Honestly I wasn't paying attention, I happened to glance at the last one that came up, it was in the 3's, I think it was 3001, that would have been the right neighborhood. The site is listed as Davidson Street, which I had always thought was on the west side of the river, behind West Gate, They have a county building over there. But, if memory serves me, that could also be behind the F.D. / P.D. downtown. Good luck with that, I'm going to dive into searching more.
Davidson drive is what the detention center is on. I still pick up buncombe p25 as phase 1 occasionally. Depending where i am in the County. I am trying to lock down Control Frequencies

AlphaFive

Davidson Drive

Yes, I oogled mapped it.. It is downtown behind the Courthouse. That would explain why on my logs from a few years ago I listed the site location as "downtown". I thought I was just being sloppy, haaa. If I get a chance I will take the four base frequencies and just throw them in a conventional search, it should not take but a second or two to pull out the control channel. And no, I will fall on my sword here, I have not looked in the database, where it is likely listed, I confess to not looking before typing this

AJIComm1

Yes, I oogled mapped it.. It is downtown behind the Courthouse. That would explain why on my logs from a few years ago I listed the site location as "downtown". I thought I was just being sloppy, haaa. If I get a chance I will take the four base frequencies and just throw them in a conventional search, it should not take but a second or two to pull out the control channel. And no, I will fall on my sword here, I have not looked in the database, where it is likely listed, I confess to not looking before typing this
Question. I know how to get control channels but how can you figure out alternate control channels

AlphaFive

Buncombe

They only way I know of is to simply be familiar with the control channel in your target system. If you are doing some kind of band search, or running frequencies conventionally, and a frequency you recognize as normally voice only comes up with that distinct sound, well there you have it. I am one of those that simply enters all of the base frequencies in a system. But, THAT will be debated until the end of time...Take care

nated1992

Davidson drive is what the detention center is on. I still pick up buncombe p25 as phase 1 occasionally. Depending where i am in the County. I am trying to lock down Control Frequencies

The control channels change like every couple of hours... for the east its 770.11875 and 769.79375

I'm not sure about the west.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
To find the full listing of what freq is used as what: Pro96Com, Universal Trunker, aka UniTrunker. Or run DSD+ on it. But the first 2 are specifically designed for decoding trunked systems.

reconrider8

To find the full listing of what freq is used as what: Pro96Com, Universal Trunker, aka UniTrunker. Or run DSD+ on it. But the first 2 are specifically designed for decoding trunked systems.

unitrunker would be the easiest way to map the frequencies and talk groups imo. use a cheap sdr to run unitrunker and then listen with the scanner on the system and log the ids as they come up with general data then slowly start to specify the talk groups as you hear more and more comms across them

trumpetman

Database Admin
Per a reliable source and confirming with my scanners this weekend Buncombe County is still phase I on all talkgroups in the two simulcast cells. The detention center is extremely low coverage and you have to be within a few blocks of the jail to receive it...whatever talkgroups & phase that is in use on that site is up for debate however. The system has been outputting a phase II band plan since it's inception if I remember correctly.

I'm not extremely familiar with programming Whistler scanners but I don't believe you need to build a phase I system any differently than a phase II one. It is all the same to the control channel and limiting your scanner to only phase I in your programming would miss phase II traffic and vice versa, plus when dynamic dual mode is in use and the modulation could change multiple times a day. The only thing that comes to mind is the X2 TDMA that Motorola released before the P25 standard was completed and that had to be programmed differently but none of those systems are in use in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.