Winston Salem Trunking Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

geffprice

Premium Subscriber
I'm thoroughly enjoying Greensboro trunking but I haven't been able to receive the Winston Salem or Kernersville frequencies. Can anyone help me with this. I notice Winston Salem is called Motorola Smartnet. I don't know how that means you should set the bc296d

Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Just set your scanner for Motorola Type II, and program it accordingly. As to better reception, you might want to try a outdoor antenna, or mag mount for your vehicle.

Not to mention, if you do get to monitor that system, please submit talkgroups for it to the db,.. youll have the honor of being the first to do so. :)

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Kernersville is active. I believe all the talkgroups are currently digital. I have not heard if Winston-Salem is even to the point of testing their system, much less moving toward using it full time. You may want to monitor those frequencies in conventional mode from time to time until you pick up some activity.

ncmedic245

Premium Subscriber
Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Trunking

I am with a county volunteer department in Forsyth County and the word is that we are going on the new system in November of this year. The mobiles are in the apparatus but not programmed yet, and the base stations are in. The portables are to be issued in November.

The Sheriff's Dept. is supposed to get theirs in October.

CCHLLM

Yeah, what he said. The Winston-Salem/Forsyth County system is "all green" as far as the base station and system infrastructure goes. The mobiles and portables are not all ready to go yet, but the info as to the SO being the first group to go online this month is what I've heard also. And yes, the system is digital.

MBennett

Premium Subscriber
WINSTON SALEM CITY POLICE AND CITY FIRE

AS FOR WINSTON SALEM CITY FIRE AND WINSTON SALEM FIRE DEPARTMENTS

THEY ARE ACTIVE AS OF 07:00AM ON 10-12-04

CITY FIRE DISPATCH IS 36496
WINSTON SALEM FIRE TO FORSYTH COUNTY MEDICAL CONTROL 33904

HOPE THIS HELPS

CCHLLM

Well, I guess we'uns heard wrong about who's on first and what's on second. Damn, I like progress.

Anybody know if TW Cable channel 13 will carry the TRS as it does the current UHF system?

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
This is what I have found so far:

37744 PD District 1 Dispatch
37776 PD District 2 Dispatch
37808 PD District 3 Dispatch

37968 PD Information (referred to as Channel 5)
38448 Appears to be Car to Car (referred to as Channel 6)
37872 Appears to be Car to Car (referred to as Channel 7)
38608 Appears to be Car to Car (referred to as Channel 8 )

For right now, they are simulcasting the 800 and the old 460 frequencies

CCHLLM

I've been listening to the simulcast today, and the radios do have that digital audio, but the new system seems to be functioning much better than the older UHF system when it comes to field reception. I hear units talking from locations that were scratchy at best on the old system. I'm sure there are lousy locations in the new system that were adequately covered in the old, but that's to be expected, and I'm sure those will be dealt with. I know who's involved with the system installation and start-up and I have a great deal of confidence in one of them in particular. He's probably one of the best and most hands-on knowledgeable people in the business and has forgotten more about radios and systems than most of us will ever know.

Buckwild39

Winston-Salem ASTRO XTS 5000 RADIO's

I had a chance to check one of these out for a few hours yesterday and this spread sheet shows the current channel assignments.

BW
KD4GJU

FYI.. UNA=Unassigned

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Listening today revealed that there appeared to be different talkgroups referred to as Channel 7. After looking at Buckwild's spreadsheet, I see why...there is a seperate Channel 7 for each District, CID and SID....looks like a little more detective work. An article in the Winston-Salem Journal today indicated that the FCSO will start using the system next Monday.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I have found in reference to the PD Channel 7 talkgroups:

37840 District 1 Ch 7 Car to Car
37872 District 2 Ch 7 Car to Car
37904 District 3 Ch 7 Car to Car

Buckwild39

WS FC TOWER LOCATIONS

OK, According to latest FCC data WS/FC has 6 tower sites listed within the 800 mhz band and one of them has no Lat/Long coorindinates listed,anyway this jpg show the ones I have verified,once I know which zones are which what I would like to do is set up my 796 ( as soon as it arrives) with just the control channel for each zone. What is clearly missing is a tower site in the North/Northwest part of the county any who has info on that would be a help.

Any thoughts or comments, is there a better way to do this?

I can add more map detail if needed.
Thanks for any help

BW
KD4GJU

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> OK, According to latest FCC data WS/FC has 6 tower sites listed ...

There are 8 - and possible 9 sites licensed among three licenses. The city has two licenses covering 8 sites ... WPUG-757 and WPZN-983.

The county has a license - WPJK-391 - for the original Wachovia building site licensed several years ago, but this license does not cover all 15 output frequencies licensed for the other sites, and it does include a couple of frequencies not licensed to the city sites.

Also, the Wachovia building is only about a block away from a site at 301 N. Main Street on one of the city licenses.

>> ... and one of them has no Lat/Long coorindinates listed

That "site" you mentioned covers use of the mobile radios, which is why the input frequencies are listed (on some licenses, both the input and output frequencies will be listed to the "mobile" site).

Rather than a latitude and longitude, the license for the mobile radios will sometimes stipulate usage within "x" kilometers of site "n," where "x" is a number and "n" would refer to one of the other sites mentioned in the license.

>> what I would like to do is set up my 796 ( as soon as it arrives) with just the control channel for each zone.

Expect the same control frequency to be used at all the system sites. The zones will be seamless to the scanner, which will lock onto the strongest control signal at your receiving location.

I would suggest, though, that you enter all the system output frequencies in the 796 initially ... until listeners identify alteast one alternate control frequency.

If you don't have atleast the first alternate programmed, you won't receive the trunked system anytime the system switches off the primary control frequency ... such as when there is interference on the primary control frequency from other licenses.

A Motorola Type II system can have up-to 4 control frequencies. I've seen the Charlotte-Mecklenberg system switch over to the alternate and second alternate on occasion.

Jeff Multer
Fort Mill, S.C.

CCHLLM

The system is definitely digital, and has 9 sites by counting the towers that I know of. The 301 N Main St site is the Winston Tower Bldg. It was once the Wachovia Bldg, but that was several years ago. It's also jokingly referred to as the crate the Reynolds Bldg came in. The present Wachovia Bldg is a coupla blocks south and is jokingly referred to as the Phallus Bldg, and it sports no radios, BTW. Information I have says there are sites in SW Forsyth, Lewisville, Old Richmond, NW Winston-Salem, Rural Hall-Stanleyville, Walkertown, Kernersville, SE Winston-Salem, and The Winston Tower Bldg.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
If the system is digital, please submit an update so we can change the system in the database accordingly (if all talkgroups are digital then that's all we need to know). Also note what talkgroups are digital or analog when submitting new talkgroups. Thanks.

-Eric

CCHLLM

The system is digital, but there are some analog talkgroups so as to interface with the analog side of the Guilford County system. As to talkgroups, I have no access to the database and don't possess a digital scanner to grab these talkgroups, so someone else will have to jump in here for that.

As a former manager of the local Motorola shop, what I do have is a continuing relationship with the people installing the new system, and access to a new Motorola portable with the appropriate talkgroups in it, and they are no doubt digital. The Kernersville portion of the system, which is the original part, has been on line for a couple of years and was digital from day one, with the analog TGs for the Guilford system added.

WSPD and WSFD are definitely on line and definitely digital, and the word today at the local Moto shop is that Sheriff's Department is scheduled to go on line by Nov 1. The PD and FD are being multicast on the old UHF freqs, but input to the old system is disabled. The PD channels have both dispatch and mobile/portable traffic being rebroadcast, but the FD channel has only the dispatch side, no mobile/portable traffic.

fcfd988

Feed Provider
Here is a little more info if it helps.....

I work at Forsyth County Fire Department 911 Communications and this what we have been told.

Public Works went on first, early October, don't know an exact date

WSPD and WSFD did go online this past Monday and Tuesday 10-11 & 10-12.

FCSO will go online this Monday 10-18

(Us) Forsyth County Fire Departments and FCEMS will cut over on 11-01 or the week of.

I cant speak for FCSO, WSPD and WSFD on what their plans are to continue rebroadcasting on UHF. I guess we will see what the sheriff's office will be doing after monday.

FCEMS will discontinue all transmissions on their VHF E-1 which is 154.995

The Forsyth County Fire Departments will be simulcasting all dispatch traffic on the new FCFD F-1 800 MHz TG and the old Forsyth F-1 VHF 154.205. As far as what we have been told we will not be rebroadcasting any traffic recieved on the old VHF channel, but will be rebroadcasting all traffic on the new FCFD F-1 TG over to the old VHF 154.205.

The analog talkgroups that I know about are:

FCFD C-9
MED TAC 4

these are so units on the east side can have Guilford EMS, Guilford FD and High Point switch over to our combat/working channels.

and these which are the EMS to Hosp patient information TG's
BAPTCALL
BAPT MD
BAPTPEDS
PEDS MD
FMC CALL
FMC MD

These are all analog so that any Guilford units (and anyone else on an analog sys) coming into Baptist or Forsyth Hospitals can encode pt info without having to go to 340.

I do have a copy of the fleetmaps for Forsyth County Fire Departments,
but no TG ID's

Also, the proper designation for the WSFD medical control TG is: MED TAC 1

Hope this helps. As I recieve more info, It will be posted.

Wes

MBennett

Premium Subscriber
FORSYTH COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT TALKGROUPS

THE FORSYTH COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT
WENT ONLINE WITH 800Mhz RADIOS AT 07:00AM ON 10-18-2004

FCSO 1 34832 MAIN DISPATCH
FCSO 2 34864 SECONDARY DISPATCH

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.