Wings Over Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smith29180

Was anyone able to attend the air show at Seymour Johnson? I was just curious on how the Blue Angels performance was with only 5 planes performing and how the show was in general.
Thanks
Ron

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
From an Associated Press report ...

" On Saturday at Seymour Johnson, the team performed its first show since the April 21 crash.

" Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Davis, 32, died when his No. 6 jet went down during the final minutes of a performance at the Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort in Beaufort, S.C. The Pittsfield, Mass., native was in his first year flying in formation with the team."

" Saturday's show featured only five jets. Lt. Cmdr. Craig Olson, 37, of Kirkland, Wash., replaced Davis a couple of weeks ago. Olson, who flew with the Blue Angels from 2003-2005, will practice with the team for a few more weeks before flying in a show, Mannix said."

welshtorg

Premium Subscriber
Wrong

Well, I too read the media briefings that stated that it would be a 5 plane show. Much to my suprise (and delight) they performed with 6 aircraft. The Diamond, Lead and Opposing solos looked great.

Incidently they did not perform a "missing man" formation or made any reference to the prior incident.

Overall, Seymour did a great job...one of the better ones that I've seen out there.

jeffmulter

>> Much to my suprise (and delight) they performed with 6 aircraft.

I'm sorry, but the guy who got airborn in his outdoor chair with 6 helium balloons attached does not constitute a "6th" aircraft ! : )

... even if he did paint the aluminum chair frame blue and yellow.

richrowl

Lawn Chair and Baloons

jeffmulter said:
>> Much to my suprise (and delight) they performed with 6 aircraft.

I'm sorry, but the guy who got airborn in his outdoor chair with 6 helium balloons attached does not constitute a "6th" aircraft ! : )

... even if he did paint the aluminum chair frame blue and yellow.

Hey Jeff,
I recall a news article from back in the early '80's I believe it was. Seems like it was in California this guy did a similar flight. He attached enough baloons to take him aloft with a CB radio and BB gun. The plan was when he was ready to desend he would use the BB gun to pop baloons and come down. All good plans went afoul, he dropped the CB and the BB gun and just kept rising away. He got high enough that commercial airliners were calling the FAA, he came close to blacking out, maybe from lack of oxygen, then the baloons started popping. His return to earth was much faster than anticipated. He suffered minor injuries and received multiple citations for unauthorized use of the airspace.

jeffmulter

That story was the one that came to mind when I made the thread comment.

I can't really fault the guy, though. I have been dumb enough to consider attaching a random wire HF antenna to a helium balloon and letting the wire out a couple of hundred meters ... until someone wiser than me mentioned that a static charge can build up on the wire on sunny days, also.

I guess you could say that I would have been "shocked" if that had happened.

richrowl

Wings over Wayne

Did Wings over Wayne replace what was once Community Appreciation Days which as I seem to recall was held in late September or early November.

Jeff you would have been safe with the kite, Ben Franklin proved you can hold hands with DC current and be perfectly safe to tell about it.

welshtorg

Premium Subscriber
It's been called the Wings Over Wayne airshow for the last few (4 or 5) years. Traditionally, it has been held in the fall. This year however, the Blue Angels dictated what date they were available for the Seymour airshow.

Maybe dictate is a strong word.

There has really been a lot of hype around the base about the Blues coming. It's really an Honor for them to appear at an Air Force Base trying to Air Force Recruit.

BM82557

SJAFB trunk system

Don't know if this is still current:

Base 406.1625
Step 12.5
Offset 380

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Sj Afb

BM82557,

Thanks for your help. Plug the frequencies in. Had to change the system frequency to Base: 406.0000 , Step: 12.5 , Offset: 380 . Base trunk system works just fine. Thanks. again. Ted.

Gilly1980

I programmed the base, step, and offset but it never asked me to enter the other 7 frequencies. I have a Radio Shack PRO-528. Can anyone help me?

K4ASJ

Premium Subscriber
They usually use events 1 & 2 on the Wayne County P25 system. Also the statewide events channels on viper.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone come up with any frequencies for the base trunk system ?
I was out there a week or two ago. The cc changed but it's one of the other channels in the RR database (407.1625)

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Did anyone get any frequencies?
Base, Blue Angels or other? Base is listed above, heard Blue Angels last year at Cherry Point using the freqs for them in the RR database.

Does anyone know if there is a viewing area outside the air show proper, where you can see and listen to the radio? Saw in the Seymour Johnson rules scanners were not allowed.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.