RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Dakota Radio Discussion Forum

North Dakota Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Dakota.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 6:18 PM
Forums Moderator
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default City of Williston P25 TRS

The city of Williston has applied to the FCC, in order to construct a P25 VHF-High band TRS. Does anyone know if this new radio system will be an independent endeavor, or part of the new statewide TRS that's in the developmental stages?

73's

Ron
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 PM

I can’t believe it they are down me that since the state is going to that. I guess it going to be Kenwood system since they currently use kenwood radios. Since 97% of the state uses Motorola. It’s funny how the ex mayor of Williston was some how part of the Kenwood dealer ship in Williston and they always get the bid. Man they is going to mess up the rest of the state when they build the state wide radio system. I see that the whole interoperability is out the door once again. So I can see this happening the state or another Department is in pursuit and they need to contact the Williston PD good luck. I seen this happened first hand in Dallas TX they had a pursuit and they we’re getting close to the Dallas love field airport and they said on the radio can they get on our frequency and an officer said no because Dallas love Field has their own system and we don’t have access to it so we have to call him on the telephone. Then by the time they got him on the telephone the guy that they were pursuing. He crashes into a security fence at the airport and end up driving down the runway towards an airliner.
Old 11-16-2017, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRO2001 View Post
I canít believe it they are down me that since the state is going to that. I guess it going to be Kenwood system since they currently use kenwood radios. Since 97% of the state uses Motorola. Itís funny how the ex mayor of Williston was some how part of the Kenwood dealer ship in Williston and they always get the bid. Man they is going to mess up the rest of the state when they build the state wide radio system. I see that the whole interoperability is out the door once again.
Kenwood radios can't talk to Motorola radios?

Someone in my state is really screwed then, since we use Motorolas, Kenwoods, Harris and EF Johnson radios on the statewide trunked system.

Wait a minute! It's a P25 system! They can talk to each other!

So your argument is that, since there may be two brands of radios, even using a common standard (APCO Project-25), they won't be able to crosstalk? And you base this off their current radio brand? I seem to be missing something here...
Old 11-17-2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilrobnson View Post
Kenwood radios can't talk to Motorola radios?

Someone in my state is really screwed then, since we use Motorolas, Kenwoods, Harris and EF Johnson radios on the statewide trunked system.

Wait a minute! It's a P25 system! They can talk to each other!

So your argument is that, since there may be two brands of radios, even using a common standard (APCO Project-25), they won't be able to crosstalk? And you base this off their current radio brand? I seem to be missing something here...

I heard they are going nexedge with I heard is not compatible with other radios. Wait a minute Motorola radio canít work on or talk on NEXEDGE SYSTEM
Old 11-17-2017, 8:23 AM

The license application clearly shows a P25 emission designator. Even the thread title reflects that.
P25 and NEXEDGE are not the same thing.
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2017, 7:46 PM

From what I have heard, it’s going to be a VHF P25 trunked system. Similar to what the state is purposing. I haven’t heard anything as far as any updates to what the status on the state system is. One interesting fact about TRS in North Dakota is living on the border of MN/ND, Minnesota’s 800 MHZ ARMER trunked System has approved a participation plan and permission to all of Cass County/Fargo to join the ARMER System. I guess that they are considering this with Red River Dispatch duel dispatches Clay County and Moorhea as well and they are fully on the ARMER System now. The participation plan for Cass County lays out construction of tower sites within the county.
Old 12-19-2017, 7:36 PM

Default Type of scanner

I'm new to all of this and I am wanting to get a scanner to listen to the local Police Department.
It says that they are encrypted but my 3 friends at the Police Department tell me that they are not encrypted but have the ability to do so. I believe they are on a trunking system and use APCO P25.
I'm not sure what all of this means and I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thank You
Old 12-21-2017, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole15765 View Post
I'm new to all of this and I am wanting to get a scanner to listen to the local Police Department.
It says that they are encrypted but my 3 friends at the Police Department tell me that they are not encrypted but have the ability to do so. I believe they are on a trunking system and use APCO P25.
I'm not sure what all of this means and I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thank You
Where do you see reference to encryption being used? The database shows both Williams County Sheriff and Williston PD both use P25 digital voice, but no mention of encryption. I would tend to believe your friends when they say they are not encrypted given they have the capability. However, with that in mind there is a greater chance of future use of increased encryption.

Currently both Williams County and Williston are using VHF conventional channels according to the database. As the OP mentioned the City of Williston has applied for licensing of a VHF P25 trunking system. As of 11/21 the application has been returned due to a technicality with a tower's registration number.

Your current equipment requirements include being able to receive the VHF band and P25 voice. Once the proposed system is built as filed for you would need VHF P25 trunking with Phase 1 voice. The application only requested Phase 1 emission designators, but there is a chance future changes would move to Phase 2 voice.

The license application has two locations using different frequencies, so it looks like the system will utilize a multi-cast configuration rather than simulcast. In the case any commercially available scanner meeting the above requirements would work without having to suffer from the lack of proper design for receiving digital simulcast trunking systems.
Old 12-29-2017, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Thank You
A couple of years out of date, but here's what I found when I was last in Williston.

InterceptRadio.com Forums • View topic - Williston/Williams County, ND
Old 01-04-2018, 8:33 PM

Hi again and Thank you for all your information. I guess I'm so new to this that I am still not sure what scanner to purchase. Can anyone suggest a scanner that will work in my area? I am looking at the WhistlerTRX1 or the Uniden BCD436. Any thoughts on which one is better?
Also, will one of these scanners work now and if/when they switch over to the vhf p25 trunking system or am I going to have to buy a scanner now and another one when they switch?
I can't tell you how thankful I am for your help!! Nicole
Old 03-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

I see the city has reapplied to the FCC to continue the development of this new radio system.

ULS Application - Public Safety Pool, Trunked - 0007990405 - WILLISTON, CITY OF
Old 04-23-2018, 9:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hi again and Thank you for all your information. I guess I'm so new to this that I am still not sure what scanner to purchase. Can anyone suggest a scanner that will work in my area? I am looking at the WhistlerTRX1 or the Uniden BCD436. Any thoughts on which one is better?
Also, will one of these scanners work now and if/when they switch over to the vhf p25 trunking system or am I going to have to buy a scanner now and another one when they switch?
I can't tell you how thankful I am for your help!! Nicole
Hello Nicole , Williston is P25 digital so to some with old scanners it seems encrypted.
however its only digital i do get some true encryption occasionally i would have to pay attention if it's
state, county, city or even mckenzie co.

I have and recommend the ( handheld 436hp or the (base) 536hp i have the software to program it for the area for you if you like . Matt

Last edited by JLM7424; 04-23-2018 at 9:49 AM..
Old 04-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Forums Moderator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM7424 View Post
Hello Nicole , Williston is P25 digital so to some with old scanners it seems encrypted.
however its only digital i do get some true encryption occasionally i would have to pay attention if it's
state, county, city or even mckenzie co.Matt
Is the system online at this time?

73's

Ron
Old 04-24-2018, 9:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
Is the system online at this time?

73's

Ron
not yet that i have discovered , work a lot , seems to still be usual standalone p25 channels . I will keep an eye on it
Old 05-21-2018, 12:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have bought All upgrades for my 436hp and have entered all applied for frequencies to regularly search for and see when it comes on line and what it is . there appears to be no assigned license assigned to the request yet .