40 to 49 MHZ, wonderong what i`ll find there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey. Going to be heading to Dayton this year, and i`m looking for some what i`ll call "oddball" scanning oppertunities, one thought was to scan the 40 to 49MHZ range, what i`m wondering is, what kinda stuff might i find there? I do know at one time those walkie-talkies kids would talk on used freqs in that range, will i still find those, or will i hear more lowband business stuff instead? Since i`ll be going outta Milwaukee, changing train in Chicago, and meeting my bro in Cincinnati i want to find some neat stuff to monitor while i`m on the bus & train, and i`m thinking it might be fun to see what i`ll hear in some of the bigger cities i`ll be passing through. Thanx! N9NRA

nd5y

Why only 40-49 MHz?
The low band VHF band plan is:
30.0-30.57 federal government
30.58-31.98 private land mobile
32.0-33.0 federal government
33.02-33.98 private land mobile
34.0-35.0 federal government
35.02-35.98 private land mobile
36.0-37.0 federal government
37.02-37.98 private land mobile
38.0-39.0 federal government
39.02-39.98 private land mobile
40.0-42.0 federal government
42.02-46.58 private land mobile
46.6-47.0 federal government
47.02-49.58 private land mobile
49.6-50.0 federal government

Walkie talkies were on 49.86 and maybe 49.815, 49.83, 49.845 and 49.875. I may be wrong but I don't remember any with more than one channel. The others were used by baby monitors and cordless phones. You might catch military radios anywhere from 30-88 MHz. BNSF RR uses 44.58 for some type of short data bursts. If you plan on using a hand held scanner inside a train or bus you probably won't hear anything at all on low band.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Not much. You will find lots of Military collectors up on 51.000 (150.0 tone) though. Most people are walking around so they have regular hand helds on 2 meters and 70 cm. You will find some oddball commercial and and itinerant stuff too. I doubt many would be on low band but the mil guys.

Last edited:

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey thanx guys for the help :), at least now i have a place to start. Might be fun scanning while i`m on the run this time around, and more stuff to listen to when the railroad chatter gets boring :D. Thanx guys! N9NRA

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
looking for more " oddball" stuff to listen to on the Dayton run :).

Hey all, just was thinking, anyone here happen to know where to look for them radios they use at fast food drive throughs? I wanna add some more stuff to my "oddball" scanning list for when i run to Dayton this year. Y`all know of a good freq/band (VHF? UHF? mabey lowband?) to start with? Thanx! N9NRA.

ecps92

https://forums.radioreference.com/m...g-malls-other-buisnesses-gmrs-frs-murs-4.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/92555-drive-thru-resteraunts.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/general-scanning-discussion/126292-fast-food-freq.html

and others from the little used, but action backed RR Wiki
Search - The RadioReference Wiki

Hey all, just was thinking, anyone here happen to know where to look for them radios they use at fast food drive throughs? I wanna add some more stuff to my "oddball" scanning list for when i run to Dayton this year. Y`all know of a good freq/band (VHF? UHF? mabey lowband?) to start with? Thanx! N9NRA.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey thanx :)! I`ll have a peek at those, thanx for the info. N9NRA.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Why just 40-49?

Oh i know there`s way more to search on, but i just was lookin` for somewhere to start :). Thanx for all the help, now i at least have somewhere to start when i do the Dayton run this year, at least scanning won`t be boring now :). N9NRA.

KB7MIB

The 49 MHz walkie talkies used:

I have a pair of 5 channel TRC-512 radios from Radio Shack. They've been discontinued for years, though. (The 2nd radio I bought was the last one in all of Arizona.)

I've never heard any two-way use on those channels. Just the occasional baby/room monitor as I drove down the road. (I programmed 2 banks of my PRO-43 scanner with 49 MHz/MURS/FRS/GMRS and the Amateur 6M-33cm AM and FM calling frequencies, and I monitor them when on road trips.) I suppose there *could* be the odd handset side of a cordless telephone conversation to be heard out there, as well as a fast food drive through to be heard. (I think it was McD's that paired 154.570 with a 49 MHz frequency many years ago for their drive throughs. You could hear both the customer and the clerk on one of the frequencies, but only the clerk on the other, and I don't recall which frequency was which.) But, I wouldn't expect much more than the occasional baby/room monitor nowadays. Surprisingly, the monitors can be good for several hundred yards radius of the transmitter, as I have found out while traveling I-10 near some home developements that back up to the freeway in Buckeye, west of Phoenix.

Here's a page that has a couple of frequency lists for the old cordless phone sets that used 45-50MHz. Included is the even older sets that used 49 MHz for the base, and 1695-1735 kHz (yes, kHz, between the AM broadcast and the 160m Ham band) for the handsets.

49MHz Experimental Radio Club

It should be noted that deliberate monitoring of cordless phones and room monitors is illegal, and yes, I do hit the scan button when my scanner stops on an active channel used by one. Listening to two-way use of the channel is not illegal, so make sure that's what you're hearing!

John
Peoria, AZ

KB7MIB

N9NRA started this thread a year ago in preparation for his trip to the Dayton Hamvention, and then revived it in preperation for his return trip to the Dayton Hamvention THIS year.

John
Peoria, AZ

SCPD

QRT
49MHZ

You might find some motorcycles there with 49MHZ Maxon walkie talkies if you are on the road nextto them while they are talking.....Who knows?
They have headsets inside the helmets...sometimes.....:D
Lowband is pretty much dead but at night you may hear OEMs or Fire depatments running tests on backup radios or a few vendors might just have a set of low bands and will be testing them.Who knows....
The town isnt that rich,you may even hear some old 44MHZ or 46MHZ cordless,but we all know thats not right to listen to.

KB7MIB

When did room monitors get added to that list?

Sent via Tapatalk

It is entirely possible that I've been mistaken all these years, but I've always thought that room monitors have been illegal to listen to, just like cordless and cellular phones, since the ECPA came out in 1986.

If not, I stand corrected.

John
Peoria, AZ

krokus

Premium Subscriber
It is entirely possible that I've been mistaken all these years, but I've always thought that room monitors have been illegal to listen to, just like cordless and cellular phones, since the ECPA came out in 1986.

If not, I stand corrected.

John
Peoria, AZ

When the ECPA was amended, in 1994, was when the "act" of listening to a wireless phone became illegal. This was not dependent on the radio frequency.

Sent via Tapatalk

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
40 to 49 MHZ, thanx for the help :).

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanx for the help on this question i had re, 40 to 49MHZ, now i have somewhere to start searching while i`m on the trip to Dayton :). Much appreicated! N9NRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.