Need Help with POE

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottymcneill8657

Premium Subscriber
I need help and might be in the wrong area. I'm trying to run a broadband-hamnet node (wrt54g) and a mesh node (bullet m5) (bridged together) that are both POE powered. The problem is I need to split that one rj45 to power both and can not figure out how. Its going to be about 50ft above the ground (part of the reason for the mesh node is so I don't have to get up there to talk to the hamnet node.) I'm doing this as I don't want to run 200ft of cable across my yard. The wrt54g has a 4 port switch (I don't know if you can convert more than one of the ethernet jacks to poe) and the bullet only has one for combined power/data. The only way I can think to do this would be to series poe injectors but I'd prefer to do this with one wire if possible. Any ideas how to do this?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I have a BBHN node in my shack, and an Airgrid (also BBHN) on my tower, they can see each other fine. Are you sure you'll need 2 on the tower? Unless one is 2ghz and one is 5ghz, I'd think it's redundant.. I can manage my airgrid through a computer hooked to my 54G..

Attachments

• mxq-gate.jpg
    mxq-gate.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Yea, duh.. just noticed the M5.. There is a way to run the M5 on 12v.. which might be able to be split to both, but I'm not sure how it would work... Did you post this question to the Gurus at the BBHN site?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
POE is current limited, so relying on it to power both devices off one feed probably isn't a great idea. There are different levels of POE to run larger devices, but not sure if consumer stuff will support that.

Ideal solution is to build a breakout and power it locally if you can. I've got a friend that did this with a similar setup to yours. He needed to cover his 20 acres, and built solar/battery power supplies. Works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.