Cellphone-Site Simulator Found in Washington D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Old News!

What floors me is that this has been going on for several years. There have long been reports of these in many cities, though primarily in DC.

Some reports are that they are airborne circling in US Govt leased aircraft.

Although the Russians could be doing this, because open source software exists and Ettus SDR can support this, the often cited StingRay device made by Harris Corp is sold only to State and Federal law enforcement agencies.

So who is spying on who? Certainly at this time there are many DOJ targets that could be spied upon.

Just a week ago the DOJ busted a Canadian company who was marketing a phone that had strong end to end encryption. DOJ claims the Mexican Cartel was a big customer. Who really knows.

The fact is that our personal privacy has never been lower. If you have red blood and you are a human, you can be sure that someone has a dossier on you. It might be your high school, your college, military recruiter, your local police department, your health insurer, Equifax etc. If you are into any sort of political activism, the three letter acronyms probably have your name.

gordonbrittas

There's a lot of money to be made from security contracts so instilling the idea that there is a constant threat is a valuable tool to certain people.

Money is the answer.

RFI-EMI-GUY

There's a lot of money to be made from security contracts so instilling the idea that there is a constant threat is a valuable tool to certain people.

Money is the answer.
Like the Department of Homeland Security and the Military Industrial Establishment.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

lmrtek

Politicians aren't intelligent people so a 12 year old can easily set up a fake wifi hot spot and get any info they want without needing expensive equipment.

gordonbrittas

Like the Department of Homeland Security and the Military Industrial Establishment.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's right.

These devices aren't easy to come by and the manufactures will know where each and every one ends up.

Don't know if this will interest anybody,it's regarding the prices.

There's a zoom on the right hand side of the first copy and a magnifier embedded so run the pointer over the small print.

https://www.muckrock.com/news/archi...ter-police-release-unredacted-list-harris-co/

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am pretty sure this is wiretapping. I was watching a Hacker video presentation about IMSI catchers and there was a demo of a GSM IMSI catcher that basically performed a man in the middle attack and at same time turned off encryption of the targeted subscriber. GSM exploits are available open source and can be implemented on various SDR platforms (ETTUS for one example). I don't know if CDMA open source software exists but I would assume so. From what I learned, the base station can tell a target subscriber to use encryption * or not, the subscriber normally does not indicate that the connection is insecure. This brings up the need for an APP that detects the encryption status of a cellular call and flags the user.

The problem with warrants is that the law enforcement will use a concept of parallel construction. The use of the Stingray will never be revealed in court. They will track a target, wire tap him, gather evidence without a warrant, then lawfully seize detailed phone records, interrogate and manipulate associates and make a case.

It is not unlike picking your lock, entering your home and photographing everything and then asking for a search warrant the very next day. The fact that there must be NDA's and so much secrecy by Harris/FBI and local agencies is suspicious.

* Cellphones use a form of encryption between the base station and subscribers which is common to all subscribers on the base station. Once the call is handed from the mobile system to the PSTN, it is no longer encrypted.

bharvey2

I just tried again, and got the same 404 error, embedded in a screen made to look like redacted text. (With Latin hidden in the redaction strips.)

Sent using Tapatalk

Try clearing your browser cache and restarting your browser and see if that helps.

bharvey2

I was opening it in an incognito tab, so there is no cache.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hmmm, may be a DNS problem. You might try a DNS flush. It's usually done for an elevated command prompt but I think some browsers allow you to do it from within the browser. It may resolve on its own though if it's a DNS problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.