This gave me a chuckle

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Saw this as I was reading thru the SDS100 users manual.....

Installation, possession, or use of this scanner in a motor vehicle may be prohibited, regulated, or require a permit in some states, cities, and/or local jurisdictions. Local law enforcement officials can provide you with information regarding the laws in your community.

I respect my city's police department immensely, but when it comes to anything radio related and the law, they just aren't up to snuff. I've had to explain to them, more than once, that since I am an Indiana resident who is also a licensed amateur radio operator, I can LEGALLY have a scanner mounted in my car. I keep a copy of the pertinent sections of the law in my car's glove box for any such occasions.

:)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Chuckle?? At this point, I would have thought you'd be crying, :D

And I'm a retired cop,

garys

Premium Subscriber
Try asking a police officer about gun laws and see what you get.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

If they didn't stay in a state of flux, I'd say it's pathetic but the fact is, they seem to change all the time and it is difficult to keep track of them,

garys

Premium Subscriber
Not to drift off topic, the only people that are worse at it are FFLs. If you don't know, say you don't know. Don't make it up. :roll:

If they didn't stay in a state of flux, I'd say it's pathetic but the fact is, they seem to change all the time and it is difficult to keep track of them,

SCPD

QRT

With any law unless it is very specific and no grey areas any law can literally be defined or viewed differently by any officer, attorney, DA. End of day it is the jury and court that decides. Charges can be added but can also be dropped or later dismissed due to them being incorrect. It also depends what state, region and city you are in. A city across the same state may see the law different with grey wording while the town down way may see it as relaxed and no issue.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Not to drift off topic, the only people that are worse at it are FFLs. If you don't know, say you don't know. Don't make it up. :roll:

Only the feds handle FFLs. Every case I ever had involving an FFL was turned over to BATF.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I meant asking FFLs gun law questions. Especially in a state with strict requirements. I've heard some real whoppers at gun shows.

But, I digress.

Only the feds handle FFLs. Every case I ever had involving an FFL was turned over to BATF.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I was bored and called Florida a few months ago and said I would be flying down and wanted to bring my scanner. Told them their law says its a no no to even transport a scanner in a car. Asked them how to get it to my condo legally from the airport, and they were not sure and kept transferring my call to different people. After the 6th person, I just hung up. Enough fun for one day..

lmrtek

Any law that is unconstitutional is merely a suggestion in my book

wbswetnam

If a cop wants to confiscate your scanner, he can take it, regardless of any state law / statute / code or lack thereof.

milcom_chaser

If a cop wants to confiscate your scanner, he can take it, regardless of any state law / statute / code or lack thereof.

It is a felony for police officers to confiscate your scanner without a warrant, 2 US Marshals, and an FCC official. Police do not enforce the electromagnetic spectrum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB7MIB

It is a felony for police officers to confiscate your scanner without a warrant, 2 US Marshals, and an FCC official. Police do not enforce the electromagnetic spectrum.

Citation, please? A link to an actual statue, and if possible, case law.

AFAIK, local, county and state LEO's do enforce possession ordinances and laws enacted by city council's, county commissions, and state legislatures.

John
Peoria, AZ

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
This is about to get waaaay out of hand.

Scan125

Marketing Opportunity!

Design a scanner or a scanner skin that looks like a gun. Nice range shooting rifle with antenna up the barrel (gun metal carbon fibre), etc.etc. Blue tooth link to your phone/table for control so its "waaaay out of hand". Just remember to have your gun license handy for inspection :)

ipfd320

Banned
Last edited:

wbswetnam

The Fourth Amendment is largely meaningless anymore. It still protects your HOME from unwarranted searches, but your car, luggage, and electronic communications are NOT protected and you may be stopped and searched at the whim of any law enforcement officer.

n1das

This whole thread so far gave me a chuckle. :) I don't have an SDS100 yet but it is on my short list. I'm going to wait for a few firmware updates to fix any bugs and/or add some features.

Does the SDS100 have a power-on password feature?? If not, Uniden needs to add the feature. It would be good to have to help prevent "unauthorized" use or a LEO grabbing it from you and scrolling through the channels to see what's programmed in it. All of my Part 90 commercial radios are power-on password protected.

Does the SDS100 software have a read/write password feature?? This would be useful for preventing unauthorized reading from and writing to the SDS100. All of my Part 90 commercial radios have its codeplug locked down with a password to prevent unauthorized reading and writing.

Uniden needs to add these features if the SDS100 doesn't already have them. These features are great to have should the radio fall into the "wrong" hands, including overzealous LEOs conducting warrantless searches.

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
For the paranoids out there, how 'bout a model that will dispense mustard gas if it's not turned on properly, one that will fire a bullet through the antenna/barrel, a model that can disintegrate at the push of a button and maybe one that will automatically call your lawyer. The perfect radio should be able to do all of these,

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Back to the OP, I believe I originally wrote that paragraph around 1986 after consulting with RadioShack Legal and Regulatory Affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.