RF MIMO Merging Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlane86

Hello, I could not find a specific forum so figured this was the best match to ask.

So, I have a 5 band RF repeater for my cell coverage. It is singe port SMA 2 way amplifier.

Can I offset 2 LPDA antennas by 90deg. and use a 2way SMA splitter to merge the antenna's into one signal for input to the amplifier? Since they are different polarities at that point, my thoughts are that it would work and not interfere with each other while benefiting from increased bandwidth - but I am not a terrible RF savvy guy.

prcguy

Not sure what you would gain from that. A cell phone is designed to operate in just about any position, so signal polarization is not a problem. Doing what you describe would create a simultaneous horizontal and vertical signal at the expense of decreasing the signal by at least 50% in each polarity by splitting the signal.

Sometimes a circular polarized signal is created and used in areas with complex reflections and multipath problems as the circular pol signal will swap polarities on a reflection and try to cancel the reflection out but you would need more than just a couple of LP antennas to create circular polarity. Are your LP antennas identical or are they different bands?

Hello, I could not find a specific forum so figured this was the best match to ask.

So, I have a 5 band RF repeater for my cell coverage. It is singe port SMA 2 way amplifier.

Can I offset 2 LPDA antennas by 90deg. and use a 2way SMA splitter to merge the antenna's into one signal for input to the amplifier? Since they are different polarities at that point, my thoughts are that it would work and not interfere with each other while benefiting from increased bandwidth - but I am not a terrible RF savvy guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.